Author Topic: 6x9's crackling  (Read 2379 times)

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
6x9's crackling
« on: Jul 13, 2005, 06:53PM »
hey guys, i just installed a pioneer DEH-1650 head unit and a set of pioneer 6x9's in the parcel shelf using spacers.  this was the same combo i had in my old car and it never gave me any problems, but now, when i put the volume above 9-10 it starts crackling like mad.  it doesn't seem to be associated to anything inparticular (cd, radio, bass, treble etc) except for increase in volume

any help would be great, i'm going to try and sort it out tomorrow...
Project Siltara has been chipped, nismofied and getting exhausted

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
Re: 6x9's crackling
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2005, 08:44PM »
check the wiring polarities?? could be round the wrong way, first thing id do

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2005, 09:24PM »
Heres a few things to check the speakers:

1. Try them on another Head unit/some1 eles's car. There is a possiblity that u have blown them so theres no point in doing the other checks unless u no that they are working.

2. Check ur accual wires. Try using a different speaker wiring cuz some of the stuff is shit and breaks in the rubber. so check that.

3. Make sure the accual wires that connect to the tweeters arent loose and hitting the cone. Dont no about pioneer but i had a pare of Venom 1's that  had this problem.

4. Lastly check if there is anything loose on the speaker that rattles. Its a long shot but if all eles fails this might help.

If all that doesnt work then ur speakers might be F*cked

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2005, 02:50AM »
It sounds like you used the original speaker wiring? It uses a common earth, but the way the amplifiers in current head units are designed they can't be wired to a common earth, and they'll do exactly what you're describing if you do use a common earth. They'll play fine at low volumes, but once it gets to a decent level they crackle like mad.

The solution: run new speaker wiring, one pair of wires for each speaker.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline One

• antrx.com junior member
  • Where'd I park?
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2005, 09:45PM »
I had that problem, with the common ground.

It hated CDs, but could handle the radio at higher volumes. And the head unit heated up really quickly.

Now I just have other unidentifiable problems.

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2005, 10:03PM »
It sounds like you used the original speaker wiring? It uses a common earth, but the way the amplifiers in current head units are designed they can't be wired to a common earth, and they'll do exactly what you're describing if you do use a common earth. They'll play fine at low volumes, but once it gets to a decent level they crackle like mad.

The solution: run new speaker wiring, one pair of wires for each speaker.

TRX's and Ti's don't have a common earth, they have a negative and a positive wire going to each speaker, so you can use the original speaker wiring if you don't want to replace it - but it would be better to replace it anyway.  Going by PinTRX's name I'd say he owns a TRX :P

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2005, 06:53PM »
all fixed.  who knows how?  not me

i followed ash's advice and planted a mates headdeck in there and the 6x9's ran perfectly, so i figured it wasn't the wiring or the 6x9's themselves, so, i deduced it was the head deck.

i unscrewed it, looked at it and scratched my head.  decided it'd be a good idea to clean it before going further, so i vaccuumed it.

hooked it up to my dad's work bench with his power regulator, worked perfectly, if not better than before..

yay!
Project Siltara has been chipped, nismofied and getting exhausted