Author Topic: power cable thru firewall???  (Read 2652 times)

Offline quansta

• antrx.com junior member
  • The Loan Dude
power cable thru firewall???
« on: Jul 4, 2005, 02:09AM »
i know this has been dicussed once, but the pics were delete by someone, so i cannot see where to send it through....
there is one right in the centre half way down the dash, but i can't even budge the gromet.. there's another on on the airconditioner side, feed the cable through but just could not find it on the other side.. tried it with coat hanger too.. still no go...
help, don't want to pay some one else to do it as i can wire it all up myself, just can get the damn power cable through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
anyone got pics of where and how they got their power cable through the firewall, (from the engine bay into the cabin, not the other way around)
your help would eleviate alot of frustration!!!!!!!!!!!!..
cheers
need a loan? call me - United Credit Union Booragoon 93161800 ask for Quan

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
Re: power cable thru firewall???
« Reply #1 on: Jul 4, 2005, 09:28AM »
Hey dude, i got a suggestion.
If you use that grommet that wont budge and just put a small cut in it, when you push the cable thru it will still close off the gap.
Its much easier then trying to squeeze it next to all the wires.

Hope all goes well, sorry dude got no pics. ;D

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2005, 02:56AM »
Drill a new hole and put in a rubber grommet designed for the size cable you are using. This way you can choose exactly where to run the cable and if you plan where you drill, you shouldn't have to mess around feeding it through and then trying to find it on the other side.

For the record I ran mine through a rubber grommet that I put in the clutch master cylinder hole. (My car's an auto)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline weasel

• antrx.com moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2005, 07:30PM »
the LH side of the firewall is probably the easiest (behind the glovebox)

Take off your glovebox (you don't have to but it can make things easier) then feed your wire through the lie in your passenger seat upside down (head near the floor, feet near the roof) and look up behind the air con thingy and you should see your wire poking through

then run the wire down the side of your car

easy
"Noss is God"

Offline quansta

• The Loan Dude
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2005, 09:44PM »
thanks for your suggestions guys.. i eventually ran it through the wheel arch and through the door gromet... a bit easier..
looks ok for now..
cheers all

Offline Barnett

• antrx.com senior member
  • Not So Stock Ride, Banging Your Mum 24/7 :D
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2005, 10:04PM »
a bit easier....what could be easier than finding a grommet with wires allready going through inside the car through the firewall and just running you power cable through that....as mentioned before the one over behind the glovebox from memory i dont think it has and wires going through it but take out the grommet drill a hole....shove the wire through pull it to desired lenght and bobs your uncle.

[Barnett]
Mmmmm Turbo Mini Chopper Anyone?

Offline Colzie

• Type X BITCH!
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2005, 12:28AM »
just run it through the passenger window  ;D ROFL
get in my pants!

Offline quansta

• The Loan Dude
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2005, 12:06PM »
"just run it through the passenger window   ROFL ".....

hahahahahahahahah beautiful...

Not So Stock Ride - easier said than done... i tried all the groments i could find. the big one in the middle with the large wiring loom in it was a bitich to move, couldn't even get in there to make a cut, and the one behind the glove box, i tried about 50 times and gave up, i fed the cable through but just could not find it on the inside!!!!, even tried it with a coat hanger too, but still no luck. thanks for the suggestions anyway, as i said, i've now got it into the cabin, and it all works. you can't even tell where it comes through...

Offline weasel

• antrx.com moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2005, 06:25PM »
and the one behind the glove box, i tried about 50 times and gave up, i fed the cable through but just could not find it on the inside!!!!, even tried it with a coat hanger too, but still no luck.

it's really not that hard you probably weren't looking far enough up

but like you said it's going through your guard and in your door and it all works so meh
"Noss is God"

Offline pintara_boy

• antrx.com full member
  • (A) SLEEP
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2005, 11:04PM »
When you run the amp power cable through the fire wall it is easier to run it from the outside of the car, Ive tried both ways and thats the way i found most easiest. In the engine bay to the right hand side of the firewall there is a rubber grommet that should all ready have wires running through it, thats the hole that you want to run the amp cable through.
To get the cable through it will require you to poke your hands up around under the glove box whilst feeding the cable through the hole, to wards the left hand side, there hopefully you will feel the cable, if you are having trouble sticky tape a coat hanger to the cable so it is more direct when you feed the cable through.

Once the cable is through remove the lefthandside kicker panel and tuck the cable behind it, then remove skuff protectors and feed the cable up to wards the boot along the left side under the carper.

its really easy

hope this helps anyone  :)