Author Topic: Power distribution for three amps (Two topics Merged)  (Read 3184 times)

Offline wb131988

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
Hiya peepz,
     I have 2awg power wire running from the battery to a 1200w amp, with 2awg earth wire and 8awg RCA cables going to an Alpine CDA-9830 which has three 4v preouts. However now I have purchased another 1500w amp and wanted to know if there was an easier solution to supplying it with power than buying another amp wiring kit and doing the same again. Anyone have suggestions that will sufficiently provide power to both amps without the need for two kits wired to the battery eg. distribution blocks etc, remembering i currently have 2awg wire to the one amp.

Many Thanks for recommendations  :D

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
Re: Power Distribution
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2005, 10:38AM »
2AWG is rated at up to 180A continuous and your amp certainly won't draw that kind of current on a continuous basis.  However, at low voltages like the 12V in car power systems, voltage drop across a length of cable is of concern.  I think if you were to replace that 2AWG with 0AWG cable, you won't run into any problems in future.  The best way would be to put a distribution block close to your amps and run the 0AWG to that, then run 2AWG from tehre to the amps.  It's best to run the earth of the amps to a common earthing point, too.  Make sure you upgrade the earth wire at the same time as your power cable.
209rwkW stock ... yes, it's a U12!!

Offline wb131988

• new kid on the block
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2005, 12:42AM »
So I need to buy a new amp wiring kit anyway then or can I get power cable on its own? What about the RCAs for the second amp- will I need to run separate cables to the headunit for that?

Many Thanks  :D

Offline wb131988

• new kid on the block
Powering Three Amps !!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2005, 04:14AM »
Hi,
    I now have three amps- two 1200w Sony Xplod Amps and 1 Kenwood 800w to power two Alpine R types and a JBL GT4-12.

What is the best way to provide these with sufficient power, RCA cables, and whehter I would need a power capacitor or such like?

Many Thanks  8)

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2005, 10:41AM »
Try not to spray your questions over several topics, otherwise you'll just end up getting confused.

Yes, you can buy power cable on its own.

As for the RCA's, it depends what outputs your head unit has and what speakers you are going to run from the two amps.

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
Re: Powering Three Amps !!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2005, 10:43AM »
How are you going to hook all this up?  What amps to what speakers?

I would see which of the amps can run bridged, and power the sub from that, you can then run the remainder of the amps from the others, but you haven't said how many channels the amps are.

Offline Barnett

• antrx.com senior member
  • Not So Stock Ride, Banging Your Mum 24/7 :D
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2005, 06:38PM »
the general rule is 1 capicitor to every 1000wrms you run......so you would need at least one decent capicator.....now get a distrubution block with a decent wire input and then run your 3 power wires outta that for your amps. i personally by the sound of that....give each Type R one Sony amp :D they are Dual voice coil so if those amps are 2 channel run like one channel per voice coil. if the sony amps are any good they should have a RCA input and then output....so run your sub RCA's into one amp then out of that same amp into the other one. then used your other amp to power some nice loud speakers coz your gonna need it to keep up with your subs

[Barnett]
Mmmmm Turbo Mini Chopper Anyone?

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2005, 07:02PM »
run no less than 2ga if not 0ga  power cable to a distro block then run 2ga or 4ga cable to each amp

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline wb131988

• new kid on the block
Re: Power distribution for three amps (Two topics Merged)
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2005, 10:29PM »
My Sony Amps have THROUGH OUT terminals which I guess are what I use to connect RCA cables between amps?

How do you connect a power cap into the system i.e. to which amp/s, which cables etc.

Many Thanks (And Your Right About The Topics Sorry!!!)

Offline wb131988

• new kid on the block
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2005, 01:28AM »
Is it possible to use 2 awg wire to the distribution block then 2awg wire to the three amps?  ???

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2005, 08:12AM »
Is it possible to use 2 awg wire to the distribution block then 2awg wire to the three amps?  ???

It is, but when you get a big bass hit you can watch your headlights dim and the sound go all funny because of the voltage drop. :)  2AWG doesn't have the current carrying capacity for those three amps together.

Offline wb131988

• new kid on the block
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2005, 01:12AM »
But it depends on the length of the power wire, yes? Ive heard that if the wire is under 13 feet (which it is) then 2awg can carry about 150A of current which is what is required by the three sony amps. Agree?  :)

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2005, 06:56AM »
But it depends on the length of the power wire, yes? Ive heard that if the wire is under 13 feet (which it is) then 2awg can carry about 150A of current which is what is required by the three sony amps. Agree?  :)

So why ask?

Offline wb131988

• new kid on the block
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2005, 07:41AM »
I ask to find out whether this information is correct or not- pretty obvious  :P

Offline Colzie

• Type X BITCH!
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2005, 08:20AM »
run no less than 2ga if not 0ga  power cable to a distro block then run 2ga or 4ga cable to each amp

funny u should say that cause strtahfield @ mt gravatt ([language filter smackdown]gots :-\) sold my friend a 8 guage wiring kit and installed it in his car which is running a much larger system than this, fortunatly he sold the car and once we found this out we went back 2 them and they said that it was fine when 4 other stores said it wasnt... long story short he got a new car and new wiring BUT dont go to strathfield mt gravatt to get EQUIPMENT
get in my pants!

Offline wb131988

• new kid on the block
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2005, 07:30PM »
When they installed the 8awg wiring kit, how did it sound Colzie?