Author Topic: U13 Shock Absorbers  (Read 19716 times)

Offline Counterpunch

• antrx.com senior member
U13 Shock Absorbers
« on: Feb 6, 2008, 05:05PM »
I need to get new suspension for my U13 Attesa.  Can anybody tell me if any of the ADM suspension will be compatible with the JDM.  Searches have revealed mised opinions.  If possible, part numbers would be a bonus when it comes to ordering.  At the moment I have standard struts with King Spring lows but depending on price will either stay with normal or change to coilovers.
RNU12 Bluebird SSS Attesa
HNU13 Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd

Offline greenbird

Re: U13 Shock Absorbers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 9, 2008, 07:47AM »
Have a read of this article Counterpunch.... (not sure if you have ever seen it)
If you can nut it out, it talks a little about what springs / struts will fit the Atessa, compared to the Aus U13.
From what I can tell, all Aus U13 gear should fit your Atessa. (but do some research yourself of course...)
Cheers, Dan

http://www.whiteline.com.au/default.asp?page=/reviews02.htm
Scroll down to the article titled 'a sharper bird'.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2008, 12:02PM »
I have read this article but from what I have heard the shocks differ from the each other as they have different part numbers in the Whiteline catalogue.  Sadly these are no longer a stock item by Whiteline either. :(

Offline phreeky

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2008, 06:41PM »
OK I am desperate for shocks now, ready to buy and just have to figure out what. I have the whiteline springs with stock shocks too, bloody things are OLD. I think they're the source of my clunking noise (and even if they're not, they need replacing badly).

So anyway FYI I've taken measurements a long long time ago and the strut top studs and lower fork connection holes matched up, so I'm 90% or so sure Aussie-spec stuff will fit.

I haven't browsed any U13 sites in ages and I'm surprised to find that getting good shocks for a U13 is still near on impossible. Those with aftermarket shocks PLEASE post what you have. Haven't touched the bluey in ages and want to get back into it.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2008, 07:57PM »
I'm 99% sure aus-spec will fit, only difference if there is one are the (lack of) brackets for ABS lines - which is no biggy and the toykio shocks slim fitted had them anyway.
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2008, 09:34PM »
The Tokico struts (built and designed by the japanese. Go figure  :o) are for the USDM altima, which is a RHD sister to the ADM bluebird. The Attesa's are a Japanese local car, JDM.
They line up 100% to the australian bluebirds, even having that abs brackets built into all 4 struts.
I checked my with jellobello's standard shocks cause i was worried about extra brackets affecting the car.

Personally i find the rear end in my car too stiff, not sure if its the tyres, sway bar, shocks or springs.
Too stiff for casually driving around sedately but for when you drive hard they are excellent.  * read project thread *
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline phreeky

« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2008, 09:37AM »
I can tell me shocks are stuffed because even though the absolute lean on the car in a corner is not excessive, the initial turn in is lost because it leans straight away - it's basically all springs. I've on whiteline springs at the moment, with the whiteline rear adjustable swaybar.

I'm worried about getting any shocks off the shelf for fear of them not being valved heavily enough. I'm gonna talk to a local place later today and see what can be done about making some koni adjustables or similar fit - when it comes down to it, it's only the bottom fork bit and size of the spring perch that's actually all that fitment specific, the top section is just a thread going through the strut top.

Mind asking where you got the Tokico struts? Or is that all in ya project thread?

Offline Marty

• post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2008, 11:56PM »
Imported them from US

$500ish
Its the shipping thats going to cost the most I think.

yes after seeing how well Slims car was driving last night I'm tempted to buy one last thing for the attesa, those shocks are awesome ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2008, 08:28PM by -=| Marty |=- »
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline slim

• post whore
    • Pictures
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2008, 01:56AM »
I would recommend that you purchase from http://www.shox.com/appguide/shoxshop/productsdisplay.php
They were my second choice store. 1st choice (stillen) gave me the better 98-01 rear struts, have a different damping factor.
and get the
015. Tokico Advanced Handling Kit   1993 - 1997   #HPK337   499.00   
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks

Offline phreeky

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2008, 05:47PM »
So are those things adjustable? How much do they typically cost, shipped?

Offline slim

• post whore
    • Pictures
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2008, 11:24PM »
So are those things adjustable? How much do they typically cost, shipped?

US$260 from stillen using BAX global http://www.baxworld.com/US.asp
I think www.shox.com use a different company but do ship to Australia. I had the email's with their (shox) estimated shipping costs until i had to format the PC.
They are the non-adjustable series. From all my reserch i couldnt find a complete setup that was adjustable

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/smiiter/Bluebird%20Photos/Shotshifter001.jpg
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks

Offline Marty

• post whore
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline slim

• post whore
    • Pictures
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2008, 11:40PM »
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=TOKHP01&c=SU&year=1994&make=NISSAN&model=ALTIMA

why shox and not stillen?

i bought from stillen. I do recommend them.
shox are cheaper. with stillen postage is US$260
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks

Offline phreeky

« Reply #13 on: May 2, 2008, 12:23PM »
Guess I should let you guys know I've found my solution to shocks.

I've had koni adjustable inserts fitted for a little while now, and loving them. It does involve cutting the stock shock housing and taking the original shock out and bolting the insert in, and some other little bits and pieces. So I'm now running new bushes almost all round, koni adjustable inserts, whiteline springs, and whiteline rear swaybar. Too bad I'm still riding on the stock rims, but it's pretty bloody good, turn in is greatly improved and body roll and movement very controlled. Sudden changes in steering angle is very safe and solid feeling now that it's all well damped.

Unfortunately it's not an overly cheap option, especially compared to some of those links in this thread. Can't say how it'd stack up either.

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #14 on: May 4, 2008, 02:48PM »
I"m consdering buying KYB shocks from http://www.shox.com/appguide/shoxshop/productsdisplay.php.  Can anybody offer advice of their compatiblity with the JDM Attesa's.  Also if the KYB's listed are the same ones that were offered in Australia many years back which apparently are compatible with the import U13's.  From those who have ordered from the US, what's the delivery time and price for postage?  Thanks.

Offline phreeky

« Reply #15 on: May 4, 2008, 05:34PM »
The FWD and AWD U13s should all match up. When I was considering D2s I took all the measurements for the mounting points and it all seemed the same.

AFAIK the difference in suspension between them is just in spring rating and shock valving. So I'm not so sure how beneficial the KYBs will be, which was my main reason for going with inserts. Depends how much you're prepared to spend though.

Offline 20vgs

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #16 on: May 4, 2008, 08:48PM »
does anyone have any thoughts on recon shocks? ww shock absorbers in brisbane recon almost all brands of shocks, or can supply new replacements inluding kyb. i have the kyb shocks that came with the whiteline kit on my u13 attesa. they are about 4 years old, and are leaking just a smidgeon.i have talked to them, they appear to know what they are on about.anyone had any dealings with them? if you havent,have a look at [email protected] people.  graham

Offline slim

• post whore
    • Pictures
« Reply #17 on: May 5, 2008, 01:06AM »
7-10 working days was what i was quoted when buying from stillen.
Arrived 7 working days after being sent. About 18-21 days all up with ordering and everything. I paid cheapest option about $200

No offence but when i was looking around i found out that KYB are just OEM spec, nothing special or better then your original shocks. So if your buying from www.shox.com then buy Tokico Shocks OR Tokico Advanced Handling Kit ( i want this and if you can find out what your actually buying then i'm willing to sell my suspension parts and get it. Yeah marty ).

I checked my Tokico against Jellobello U13 ATTESA. No difference and will mount up 100% even have abs bracket.
http://www.hitachi-hap-la.com/TokicoGasShocks/
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks

Offline Marty

• post whore
« Reply #18 on: May 7, 2008, 07:32PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260235965604&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123

$480 aus delivered.

I just asked him about springs too, will update with info.

he dosent have springs, but the whiteline ones are better any way.
« Last Edit: Jun 1, 2008, 01:06PM by -=| Marty |=- »

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 12:45PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I'm ordering those Tokico for my Attesa.  I really need new shocks.

Offline bluesr20

« Reply #20 on: Jun 1, 2008, 11:28PM »
Hi phreeky

I'm interested in the Koni option (I live in Sydney) but am concerned about how roadworthy the car would be after cutting the stock shock housing, did you have any problem?

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of money would I be looking at?  Do you have the part numbers for the Koni shocks used?

What are the rates on the Whiteline springs?

Would appreciate any help/advice that you are able to offer.  The car is a daily driver.

Thanks
Brad

Offline phreeky

« Reply #21 on: Jun 2, 2008, 09:49AM »
Roadworthy shouldn't be a problem, koni and others make inserts for a number of cars and suspension mobs do it fairly often. Make sure you tell your insurance company of course though, like any mod. You cannot, at all, tell it's an insert other than a nut being visible on the base of the shock that isn't there originally either, so there's sfa chance a cop or whatever would know you were running aftermarket shocks.

Firstly, I'm not aware of the rating of the whiteline springs, maybe an email to whiteline would get you an answer. They're not super-stiff springs, but certainly stiff enough to make the body roll in fast corners (anything you should enounter on the road at least!) quite acceptable.

The koni inserts that I got are only rebound adjustable, not compression adjustable. AFAIK this is the same as the shocks in most adjustable coilover setups. Whiteline springs with the shocks at ~2/3 to 3/4 of adjustment gives a very damped ride, so stiffer springs definitely could be used if that's what you wanted.

The job of swapping the insert involved a bit too much work for me, so I got the local Fulcrum suspension mob to do it for me. I think the price was around the $1200 mark, I'll have to find the receipt and get you the price and part numbers so you can see what local places can do. They did need to rebuild the new shocks straight up though to reduce their length somewhat to keep the spring captured, as there are no U13-intended inserts so some had to be adapted. However they didn't touch my car, I brought the shocks in and picked them up.

Man that was a long post. Let me know if you still want the info as ~$1200 is around D2 prices (however, I've driven cars with D2 coilovers, and made my decision based on that ;))

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #22 on: Jun 2, 2008, 12:35PM »
I just recieved the Tokico only 7 days after ordering.  Total price including shipping, exchange rate, customs, international fee, etc for all 4 shocks was about $620.  I will let you know how successful these shocks fit and their ride.  The intention is to use these with King Spring low.

Offline slim

• post whore
    • Pictures
« Reply #23 on: Jun 2, 2008, 06:19PM »
I just recieved the Tokico only 7 days after ordering.  Total price including shipping, exchange rate, customs, international fee, etc for all 4 shocks was about $620.  I will let you know how successful these shocks fit and their ride.  The intention is to use these with King Spring low.

I see i converted someone else.
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks

Offline bluesr20

« Reply #24 on: Jun 4, 2008, 06:39PM »
Hey Counterpunch, looking forward to hearing good news.

Phreeky, I've just moved from Melb to Sydney and so I have to get a blue slip for NSW rego.  I'm hoping that I'm not going to end up with a list of things that need to be corrected.  I'm still interested in the Koni part numbers.  Thanks

General question, would stiffer springs make up for shock valving that didn't 100% match the Attesa?

Offline phreeky

« Reply #25 on: Jun 16, 2008, 04:47PM »
Whoops forgot about this thread, sorry will get those part numbers on the net anyway for general reference.

But no they wont really make up for it in all ways, but they could in some ways I suppose. Shocks have both compression dampening and rebound dampening. Rebound is the one that stops the car bouncing around like a pogo stick when you hit a bump, and with stiffer springs you'll generally need more rebound damping to deal with it. This is why most adjustable setups will primarily have rebound adjustment over compression, because you can adjust it to suit your springs.

The compression is exactly what it sounds like.

So, from my understanding, when you go to turn a corner the compression dampening will stop the car from rolling into the corner too much initially (i.e. makes the body roll more progessive). In a longer corner, the car will ultimately overcome the compression dampening and will be entirely resting on the springs. Straighten up, and the rebound dampening should stop it from jumping the other way and result in a smooth transition to a flat ride.

That's what I found after driving around on stock shocks and stiffer springs anyway. Going to good shocks greatly reduced initial body roll and resulted in much nicer turn in. I didn't have a problem with longer corners, and the car is still much the same through them. Changing directions (i.e. tight twisties), adjusting mid-corner, and handling over rougher surfaces is what I've found has improved the most.

Offline bluesr20

« Reply #26 on: Jun 16, 2008, 09:49PM »
Thanks Phreeky

I keep reading that the Attesa is heavier then the Aussie U13.  Does anyone know by how much?

Offline slim

• post whore
    • Pictures
« Reply #27 on: Jun 16, 2008, 09:51PM »

what year are your shocks?
Did you get the 97-01 rear shocks ? They have a different dampening and rebound dampening to the 93-97 models
The front shocks are different but the rears fit across the years.
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #28 on: Jun 17, 2008, 02:51AM »
Thanks Phreeky

I keep reading that the Attesa is heavier then the Aussie U13.  Does anyone know by how much?

around 100kg :) maybe a bit more
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline phreeky

« Reply #29 on: Jun 20, 2008, 11:35AM »
Thanks Phreeky

No drama

I reckon it's a fair bit. I've lifted both a FWD box and an AWD box (with their transfer cases), there's a lot of difference just there! Then add a three piece tailshaft, rear diff, rear driveshafts, any extra weight in the hubs, bigger brakes, turbo, IC, extra piping. As for bare engines, I don't know how they compare in weight.