Author Topic: thermos not working and spilt hose. aw3kward one  (Read 2222 times)

Offline u12-910

• antrx.com full member
thermos not working and spilt hose. aw3kward one
« on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:45PM »
hey guys,  ive split a hose directly under the manifold on the front side of the motor,  i cant actually see it but can touch it and have a leak there. 

any tips of getting it out?  it looks like im just going to have to do it blind.

also my thyermos arent coming on.  think this may have overheated her and split the hose.  is there a really for it or fuse that may have blown??

cheers luke

Offline u12-910

• antrx.com full member
Re: thermos not working and spilt hose. aw3kward one
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:45PM »
sorrys its a ka24

Offline u12-910

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2008, 04:51PM »
all right ot the damn hose off.  biatch.  definatly the proble.  allthough ive also noticed a leaking welsch plug a the front of the motor.

but the main thing i need to know is which relays controll the thermo fans??  and is there any other problem that may cause tham not to switch on like the temp switch??

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:14PM »
The 2-pin temperature sender could be the issue.

From memory there are fusible links for the fans next to the battery, and there are a couple of relays for them on the other side of the engine bay.

Check out the service manual, I think it's got a troubleshooting guide for the fans.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline u12-910

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:41PM »
just having a play with it then,  the thermos are switching on when i remove the red harness from the temp sensor on the inlet manifold.  is this correct for it to do that?  so they are working.  maybe the plug there is faulty or the switch is.  the temp switch would only be abot 6 months old so i doubt its that.  must just be a bit of shit in the terminal.  but upon removal is this right the fans activate?

actually how abot because there was no coolant going past it before because of the hose it wouldnt turn the fans on as it wasnt reading a temperature.  hmmmmm

the car is running as we speak just getting her up to operational temp.  lets see if they work now

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:45PM »
Yeah its right for them to turn on full speed when that plug is removed as the ecu uses it as a safety measure not knowing the temp of the engine.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline u12-910

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:50PM »
sweet dude.  thought it may have been the case.  well problem solvered.  i guess the hose had had its day and decided to finally part ways.  now thats replaced and the coolant refilled the fans are coming on.  when i got it home previously the needle was as high as it could go nd they werent coming on. 

fucked the last 2 and a so of my hours up.  i was suppose to be putting a cold air indction pipe on the 910.  cant be fucked now.  time for beer me thinks.  and shower im covered in shit hahaha

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2008, 07:46PM »
It wouldnt have been turning on if the coolant level was below the sensor because it wouldnt have got a reading.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline u12-910

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #8 on: Jan 9, 2009, 02:05PM »
ok.  car has been running well.  but ive constantly had my air con go on and off.  i had a brain wave today and decided to see if my thermos were on when i got as the air con had shut off.

to my amazement,  the fans were off.  now my car runs very cool most of the time.  and i dontdrive in heavy traffic so the car doesnt sit and idle for long.  so i left it idle and watched the temp rise past halfway.  no thermos. 

now im thinking my two issues are connected.  the air con switches off as sson as the thermos die.

now they work when the temp switch is disconnected as stated above.  the coolant level is fine.  so why the fuck are they switching themselves off????

it does have a brand new temp switch in it and it did it before i replaced that as well.  i only replaced it due to it being a significant part in fuel economy if its getting the temp wrong. 

ive checked the relays there fine,  fuseable link is fine.  i cant test the last parts in the system with a system consult as the manual describes.  and its just a few voltage tests.  ive checked the voltage at other areas and its fine.

has anyone expereinced this problem and rectified it????

or is there a way i can fix this??  what id do know is that my air con works fine when the fans are on.  when they die so does the air con. 

Offline u12-910

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #9 on: Jan 9, 2009, 02:30PM »
ecu??????

bad earth??
« Last Edit: Jan 9, 2009, 02:33PM by u12-910 »

Offline u12-910

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #10 on: Jan 9, 2009, 03:01PM »
after a good clean of the termianl and connectors the fans are working again. sweeeet. but the air con is still intermittent. im guessing that its the internal thermo.

so the two problems wernt connected. DOH. i was really hoping they were. its shit having air con half the way home then hot the other half hahaha

new topic. whats wrong with my air con lol id rather build a motor any day of the week. electrics gives me the shits