Author Topic: No ECM light.. car won't start  (Read 2419 times)

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
No ECM light.. car won't start
« on: Nov 23, 2008, 11:30AM »
OK.. so I changed the clutch master cylinder yesterday and the car wouldn't start straight after. At first I noticed that I couldn't hear the fuel pump so I started checking fuses and the like. Eventually I came to notice that the ECM light isn't coming on with the ignition, naturally I checked all related fuses but could not find anything.
From what I can gather the ECM gets its power feed from the battery?? I'm gonna check all wires/fuses from that. My immobiliser wiring is also in the vicinity of where we were working but there are no obvious faults. I'm going to hack into that like mad and re-solder all the joins.
Does anyone know if the ECM has a feed straight from the ignition barrel??
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: No ECM light.. car won't start
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2008, 11:39AM »
Check your wiring at the starter? If you were working in the vicinity of it when replacing the clutch MC, you could have knocked something.

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2008, 11:52AM »
it cranks. As said above..no fuel pump.. possibly due to no power to ecu
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2008, 01:48PM »
The ignition feed for the ECU goes through the fuse box.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2008, 10:18PM »
Well I read the FSM procedure to check the ECU power and can't seem to see anything wrong. Its going on a truck to an Auto Electrician who is a family friend tomorrow, mainly because i dont have much time to investigate this myself  :-\

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2008, 11:05AM »
Eh, this bullshit happened to me around the corner from my house, pissed me off too because it cost $80 to get it home at 9pm at night.

In the engine bay on the intake manifold, there is a ground, 2 wires, these are the for ECU. If they arn't on properly, the ECU won't have power. Check its on (10mm bolt) and let us know.

It's on the top of the plenum, can't miss it.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2008, 11:52PM »
yes i know  the ones you speak of. and its right near where i was playing with the clutch master  ::) guess i'd better ring the auto electrician tomorrow and let him know, its been there for 2 days now  :-\

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2008, 12:13PM »
well the ground wire was a good theory chris but that wasn't the fault. the auto elec ran quite a few temporary bypass wires out the window to certain components into the engine bay and got it started. he called me this morning to say he's halfway through running them into the loom.. and i'm up for $6-700 *sigh*.. if I'd know that earlier I would've said give it back and I'll just wreck the fucking thing. today is the 4th day running its been at the shop and I think he's spent a fair bit of time on it.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2008, 05:25PM »
I'd love to see what his changed.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #9 on: Dec 4, 2008, 12:06AM »
well i got it back today.. $650 down  :-\ but at least it starts now. The auto lec told me some wires melted, although I think most of the cost was his diagnosis time.
I guess the advice for anyone reading this thread in the future is to check every single earth in the engine bay as the loom only has 3 or so earth points (for all of the sensors), Apparently one of mine came off..overloaded the other earths and melted them. might make sound like crap but I work in electrical trades and it makes sense to me.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Dec 4, 2008, 06:41AM »
I had something similar (cost wise that is) with me back in 2000, basically, after my black U12 had been broken into, i had some more stuff done with the alarm, when the car was done it would crank and wouldn't start. Alarm guy wouldn't take responsibility, what had happened was, when he was running another wire through the firewall, he ran the bloody thing through the same bloody hole as the main ECU harness, and what had happened was the shielded wire going to the power transistor (which fires the ignition coil) broke down.
The outer shielding (which is wired to body ground) was then touching the main conductor, so the power transistor wasn't getting a clean signal.

Ended up costing about $700 to fix, which was running a new shielded wire for the power transistor to the ecu, worst thing was, i had to source the fucking wire for the auto elec doing the job! Never, ever went back to either place, car never ran the same since that happened. :(

Needless to say, i plan on making a brand new harness for my black U12.