Author Topic: Reconnecting SCVs  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
Reconnecting SCVs
« on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:33AM »
I've run through the FSM, and can't find good diagrams of what I'm looking for exactly. I've (obviously) located the solenoid tray, i know which solenoid is responsible for the SCVs, however my problem is where all the tubing is supposed to run. FWIW i've only been able to find swirl control valve information on ES-87, ES-194(a), ES-217(b) Pics below;

I'm assuming this is a vacuum canister. The connection FROM canister to the solenoid tray exists, but the connection to the canister via a one way valve doesnt. So I have no idea what I'm supposed to be connecting here, all I can ascertain is that it *must* be in that direction. I'm going to gather from the FSM it's a little before it, but I can't actually see what I'm expecting to see.. =/

I've no idea where the SCV actuator actually *is*, since the FSM provides the most descriptive and detailed diagram ::) From what I can manage, this blocked capped off piping is the actuator?

If so, I'm terribly confused about the difference in diameter between the hoses holding the vacuum at the solenoid tray and the hose that would run to here. I'm obviously missing something inbetween? =/

I guess that would be related to where the heck this fella goes;

That's the SCV connection going from the solenoid tray to the valve, according to the FSM. I've no idea where it's supposed to connect up to though. I'm assuming, as mentioned above, that it doesn't go straight onto that capped off section of intake due to the diameter difference.

*phew* long post, got there in the end, any help will be appreciated. Cheers guys!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: Reconnecting SCVs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2011, 11:57AM »
I'll let you know what pages in the fsm you need to look at.

If I can get some pics, I will do so.

Offline Cheezel

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2011, 12:00PM »
Cheers Adam, I already listed all the pages I found useful; ES-87, ES-194, and ES-217 had some nice diagrams, but I couldn't match them to the components in the car too well. I should've paid more attention to the engine bays when I was in the wreckers. I have to go back later in the week anyhow so I'll have a glance then, too.

Offline Nomad

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2011, 09:01PM »
In the first picture, that is your carbon canister for the fuel evap system.
The second pic has the connection for part of the crankcase ventilation system.
One goes from the rocker cover to intake tube and the one shown from the intake plenum goes down to the crankcase somewhere.
I have a pic of a standard Pintara engine bay but can't include it (not enough posts?).
This shows the SCV vacuum canister on the passenger side near the fuel filter, just above the A/C pipes.
Cheers.

Offline Cheezel

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:35AM »
Hah! Well that explains a bit of my problem - car has had the carbon canister connected up incorrectly...

Thanks for that nomad, will get out and have a look as soon as i get a chance :)

Offline Nomad

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:53PM »
Not necessarily.
One on the solenoids activates the Carbon Canister Purge process, so a vac line from the black solenoid (CCP) should go to the top of the carbon canister.
Hope I didn't give you a bum steer there!
The third pic of the hard line (circled) is the one that should have a hose to the SCV actuator.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2011, 07:06PM by Nomad »

Offline Cheezel

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2011, 11:04PM »
Nah I understood you Nomad, the canister -is- actually hooked up to the SCV - not the CCP. Problem 1 solved :P

Offline Cheezel

« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2011, 10:37PM »
I forgot to mention that the vacuum pump for the SCVs has been removed... lol... Now you can understand my confusion. *Pick-a-part jingle starts playing*.