Author Topic: Front suspension problem  (Read 1081 times)

Offline DsTR.X

• antrx.com junior member
Front suspension problem
« on: Feb 19, 2006, 01:11PM »
I've got a problem with my front suspension, when you are driving at 60+ KM/h and drive onto a new level of tar (higher), or hit a bump, go over a rail crossing, etc, the car seems to jolt up hard - instead of softly- causing dash to rattle, passengers to crap themselves :o, etc...

The shocks seem to dampen any pushing on the bonnet, and feel reasonable in normal driving.

I'm sure the springs haven't been cut, so i have no other ideas. This couldn't be normal for any car. (I hope)
Damo Says: Proofread carefully to see if you any words out

Offline emuisme

• antrx.com full member
  • Slack kid on the block
Re: Front suspension problem
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:35PM »
not sure if this little tale is relevent, but in mum's rodeo (holden Ute) I hit a log (approx 20 cm diameter) in the pines one day and bent the front left had strut (DAM long grass up a pine break!).  I can't remember the exact symptoms but I distinctly remember that it use to only show the problem above about 90kph.  It was more of a shudder at those speeds, but because of the stiffer (4wd) suspension we might not have noticed.  have you tried ringing some shocker places and seeing what they suggest?
I spent my money on sothern comfort and speeding fines, the rest I wasted.

Born to drive, forced to work!

Offline DsTR.X

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2006, 06:41PM »
I'll call one of them tomorrow.
It's not too bad, because when you're driving you know when its gonna happen, but others in the car have no idea. Still i dunno what other problems it could cause. Thanks. :)
Damo Says: Proofread carefully to see if you any words out

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2006, 08:58PM »
Get it checked out dude, last thing you want is having faulty suspension, putting yourself, your passengers and innocent people on the road in danger...

Hope it pans out nicely.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 1, 2006, 12:13PM »
I'd be looking at the suspension top mounts and lower bushes.

Also try bouncing the car up and down as hard as you can (push down on the crossbeam inside the engine bay to do this, NOT on the bonnet or you may dent it). The car should dip, and bounce up again. It should NOT bounce up, then down again, or more. It should be one simple down-up. If it doesn't, you may need new shocks.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds