Author Topic: Clutch and Engine Troubles  (Read 1021 times)

Offline godzlla

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • new kid on the block
Clutch and Engine Troubles
« on: Aug 15, 2005, 03:30PM »
Got a couple of issues with my car

1.  Can feel vibration thru the clutch on down changes (only on down changes and not when i give it sum revs just on compression)
2.  Engine makes a whistling noise under hard acceleration (not sure if this is air box or a leak in there sumwhere)
3.  Engine makes a ticking noise, kinda loud... pretty much all the time o.o

excuse the vagueness guys but i aint no mechanic, any help is appreciated

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
Re: Clutch and Engine Troubles
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2005, 04:19PM »
1. your clutch shudder could be caused by a number of things. These include worn out front or rear engine mounts, dry or worn clutch thrust bearing, dry or worn clutch release bearing, damaged or uneven clutch friction material, uneven surface on flywheel, air in clutch fluid or and a number of other things.
Try bleeding your clutch slave cylinder or completely replacing the fluid, check all engine mounts (particularly front and rear) but if you want to go further than that you'll really need to take out the transaxle, which is a lot of work.

2. The whistling noise could be an air leak as you say - try revving the engine by turning the throttle lever on the throttle body and listening for the noise in the engine bay. Run WD40 around where you think it is and see if it "sucks it up". If so, you've located the problem.

3. The loud ticking noise is usually caused by one of two things - the hydraulic lifters or the fuel injectors. If you have a CA20E powered car it could be incorrectly adjusted valve clearances. Try to isolate where the sound is coming from, whether it is only idle, low, mid or high rpm, and what general side of the engine it is coming from - it will make it a lot easier for us to help you.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline godzlla

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • new kid on the block
Re: Clutch and Engine Troubles
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2005, 06:57PM »
wow, cheers mate thanks for the help there