Author Topic: Is my mechanic ripping me off??  (Read 9074 times)

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
Is my mechanic ripping me off??
« on: Dec 20, 2007, 12:00PM »
Hey guys,
I just had a call from my mechanic and he has said that the bill for my bluey is going to be over $3k which i think is absolute bullsh!t.
I was quoted $900-950 in labour (which would be about 1.5 days) to remove my old engine with the blown head gasket and put the new one in.
My new motor was $850, and i also got a new clutch which i was told was $250.
They also replaced the hoses, oil and oil filter which surely couldn't be more than $500 could it??

I thought this mechanic was a friend, but obviously there are no such thing as mates in business. I am absolutely fuming as i was under the impression the most that it could cost would be $2.5k.

I queried him about it and he said that the mechanic took 2 days to do all the work.

But i still can't figure out where the extra $500+ has been added in. God knows how much OVER $3k the final bill is meant to be.

I'm meant to be picking it up this afternoon, but i'm so close just to telling him to keep the bloody thing.

Merry farking christmas to me!

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
Re: Is my mechanic ripping me off??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2007, 12:52PM »
I put in my own engine in a weekend.  Thats with crap tools and an engine crane (no hoist)  Plus I had to do the wiring.

Taking it out should have only taken maybe 5hrs tops.  Then putting new one in would be similar... Exidy HD clutch only cost $220 when I got mine, stock ones would cost even less.

Hoses and oil could be done when the engine was out which makes it so much easier... there is no way that would be $500 in value.

get a breakdown of the costs when you go to pick it up... if it is not reasonable in your mind ask why it was expensive and take it to another mechanic for a professional opinion if you want to dispute it further.  If you dont like it, dont take the car from them, and dont pay.  If you dont pay (for a while at least) they can't get rid of your car for 3 months and then they need to go through the sherrif to get permission.

Moral of the story... get the bill breakdown and get a second opinion before you even touch your car and pay.

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2007, 01:40PM »
Ring the motor vehicle repair authority, they are like the department of fair trading, speak to the customer service person, most of them are former mechanic's, tell him/her exactly what you asked to be done/got done and tell him//her what you were quoted and what you are being charged and tell him the mechanic's business name and address and phone number. They will probably send out a dispute form, don't fill out straight away, tell your mechanic 'friend' of your intentions, most mechanics will back down and an agreement can be reached without having to lodge a dispute with the motor vehicle repair authority.

I had to do this when my engine rebuild went $1000 over the qouted price, and again when I payed for two new driveshafts and only got one

Offline NIZ013

• post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2007, 03:22PM »
Well when he told me it would be over $3k, i said to him WTF??? I told him i was only expecting $2.5k based on HIS quotes. He said he'd have a look and call me back. 3 hours later, he called me back and said that cos it's christmas and he's a nice bloke and blah blah blah, he'll only charge me $2.7k. So how can he knock min $300 off (+ whatever it was meant to be over $3k), just like that if he wasn't trying to screw me over in the first place???

I forgot to add that the flywheel was also machined, which i guess may be $100 - $150...

I'm happy with $2.7k i guess, but still pissed over the whole situation, given that he's (meant to be) a mate.

Least my motor has 7 months parts AND LABOUR warranty on it.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2007, 04:03PM »
i had fraz help me take a ka24e out of a pintara a few months back and all we had was a $20 socket set from supercheap, a big socket for the hub nuts, a torque wrench and a crap set of spanners.. we were having a yarn most of the time rather than pulling the engine out and it still only took 3 hrs. i had never taken an engine out of a car before ever.. fraz is a u12 genius but that shouldnt matter - a good mechy should have been able to do it in the same time or less.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2007, 05:25PM »
I forgot to add that the flywheel was also machined, which i guess may be $100 - $150...

That would be a rip off, I just got my one done for the sr20 and it cost me 35 or 40 from the local gearbox shop. Cant remember exact cost and Im too lazy to find my receipt :P
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline getaroundcar

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2007, 08:42PM »
if he is a good mechanic he could have it out in two eassly even less. 30 minutes for gear box separation and flywheel off considering he would have a torque wrench, even less. way over the top. Shaun and myself had 2 engines out in 3 hours and i think we waited around for a while for the hoist but was a pintara. He must be charging you for his Christmas present to his whole family. 60 dollars to machine the flywheel trade last time i checked. some mate you have there. is it a ka24 or sr20 awd takes an extra 30 minutes.         

Offline NIZ013

• post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2007, 03:15PM »
Well i picked her up just before. Not entirely happy with the job they did, but nevertheless i've got her back now (or at least the bf's got her until he finds another car). There was one nut missing from the rocker cover, the washer bottle hadn't been connected up and just small crap that hadn't been clipped back in. Yes i am fussy. Not to mention the grease and crap all over the exterior of the car and on my seat covers aswell!!!

But she does drive very smoothly and the clutch is awesome! Well from what i could tell from the 200m test drive i did before i handed her over to the bf to drive home.

OH AND... you's seriously wouldn't believe this... AFTER i paid the bill, the mechanic said "oh and there's one more drama with your car", i'm like what now? (This is after having gone through the engine transplant, the negotiation of the bill and not to mention the bf's car which was stolen and burnt out last sunday - yes i'm having fantastic luck with cars)... Some old prick tried to do a 3 point turn and reversed into MY FRIGGEN BLUEY!!! FFS!!! At least it was only a minor dint in the passenger front guard (in front of the wheel). They managed to get the dint removed with a paintless dint removal and the scratches were polished out. Definately the last time i am EVER going to this mechanic.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2007, 06:23PM »
i wouldnt say you're being pedantic, for the money you just spent, you want it done properly.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2007, 08:18PM »
Shit not plugged in is not cool

You should have gone back to the mech and hassled him some more if you weren't happy with the job he did. It's what my customers do :P
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2007, 11:52PM »
I've heard a few stories of mechanics charging the "female drivers tax" to repairs, thinking a woman isn't going to know the first thing about what goes on under the bonnet.

It is a sad truth that people will try and make an extra buck at the expense of people who are apparently oblivious..

At least they actually did the work, rather than not and saying they did.

they also could have not told you about the dent or worse... charged you for the damages.
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2007, 12:07PM »
Shit not plugged in is not cool

ditto on that.
mine left the TPS unplugged, even when i took it back to get the idle fixed.
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline DTM

• post whore
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2007, 11:40PM »
I think you should find a new bf that can do the work himself :) Lolz

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2007, 09:06AM »
I think you should find a new bf that can do the work himself :) Lolz

haha! :D
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Unbalanced_

• antrx.com junkie
  • U13 owner once again!
    • http://www.myspace.com/unbalanced_
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2007, 11:12AM »
Hey guys, a friend of mine stupidly displayed too much of her blonde bimbo-ness (which usually gets her stuff for cheaper) when she went to her new mechanic the other day.
She didnt recieve a quote, got the car serviced, they then replaced the battery and all 4 brake pads. She has now been charged $850. Isnt that utterly ridiculous!? When she questioned it the mechanic claimed that he was doing her a good price because the brake pads are almost $200 a pair. BS! right?

I mean, im not car pro, but that seems ridiculous to me.

Anyways, who is she best to call? Consumer Affairs?
And if so, what is the number? Anyways, get back to me. Thanks.
My car history:
'88 Toyota Camry - Engine Died
'85 Toyota Corona - Engine Died
'82 Nissan Bluebird - Write Off
'88 Toyota Camry (same one as before) - Trans Died
'94 Nissan Bluebird LX - SOLD
'88 Toyota Hilux - Handed over to dad and now residing in Perth
'84 Nissan R30 Skyline - SOLD
'99 Nissan Stagea RS4-S - SOLD

Current rides:
'99 Mazda FD RX7 - Lots of fun, but currently up for sale
'95 Nissan Bluebird LX - Current sedate daily
'85 Suzuki GSXR250 - Motorbikes are fun! :)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2007, 11:28AM »
F that,

ferodo 2500's dont even cost 200 for a pair and their top notch brake pads (racing use).

I dunno where you stand because he didn't give her a quote and I don't know if she asked for one, ask him for a receipt of the parts (but I don't know what his legal stance is on this blah..) it's definately not right!
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2007, 10:45PM »
Depends on the car, BMW and Mercedes wouldn't surprise me if they cost 200 for pads.

A 40,000km services on my Navara is $750. Its under warrenty, so I really dont have a choice.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2007, 11:19PM »
When she questioned it the mechanic claimed that he was doing her a good price because the brake pads are almost $200 a pair. BS! right?

Got a price recently for Endless pads SSY $195/pair, CCA $240, SSS $220. And CCX for $595 all 4.
It maybe the brand, but i doubt any mechanic would put Endless pads on a car unless told too.
As they are high end street or circuit pads only.

Unbalanced best thing to do is get a written receipt of all parts they claim to have installed then proceed to check that they were installed. Could also be that this mechanic charges lots for service, as in time.
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline LC_TRX

« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2007, 08:52AM »
ha, we just did the front pads on the work van and it cost $850 for the pair!!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2007, 10:49PM »
A 40,000km services on my Navara is $750. Its under warrenty, so I really dont have a choice.

Is that a reasonable price for the work that needs to be done to it?

All new car warranties allow you to have the car serviced at any licenced mechanic.

My dad checked it all out when he bought his GU Patrol, and since he's a certified mechanic he did all the servicing himself, and when he took it back to get some stuff fixed under warranty (porous transmission casing that seeped oil, and a diff shudder) there were no problems whatsoever.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2007, 12:36AM »
Jono, I can claim the servicing back anyway. I could not be bothered servicing my own car these days. If they dont do something right, I tell the service manager, its gets fixed asap. I got my Navara through the dealer, its fully optioned and I get treated well, so I am happy with the service and price. These mechanics have to make money, just like everyone else.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2007, 08:52AM »
lol yeah, i'm pretty sure his not using endless pads.

put it this way, ferrodo brake pads (commonly used) buy price for mechanics is about $11 for a pair.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline phantom

• The Fighting Ninth
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:32AM »
thats farkin ridiculous :o....what type of car is it? my sister just had the torque converter replaced,auto trans serviced, several gaskets replaced, ring gear replaced and fully serviced for $850! she has a little excel....

Offline Unbalanced_

• antrx.com junkie
  • U13 owner once again!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:39AM »
The vehicle im talking about is an '89 Honda Prelude
My car history:

Current rides:

Offline phantom

• The Fighting Ninth
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2007, 02:01PM »
yup thats bs....my current daily is a 90 honda prelude(import) and the most expensive quote i got tp replace all 4 rotors and pads plus service was $1200, because its an import and has different sized rotors and pads to the aus version, but i shopped around and knocked a fair bit off that. so your friend has been ripped off big time

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2007, 10:56AM »
i'm pretty sure you can use pads from another car that will fit,

I was running DC2R brakes on my EG. Before that I had DC2 (4 stud, 282mm, smaller pad)

Maybe look into doing a brake swap off another more common honda?

Offline LC_TRX

« Reply #26 on: Jan 7, 2008, 09:09PM »
i no its rather off topic (mechanic wise) but i thought i may as well use this thread rather than opening a new one for a subject that had been done to death.

i've been quoted $750 for a new flex pipe and cat converter (2.25"), i already have extractors and 2.25" cat back but want to make it complete.
personally i thought this was a rip off so i wanted to see think what other people say. i havent had any cheaper quotes yet, called 3 stores.

stupid rip offs

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 7, 2008, 10:32PM »
New cats aren't cheap, it's because of the precious metals used in them.

Get one from a wrecker or scrapyard.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #28 on: Jan 8, 2008, 08:28AM »
lol yeah, i'm pretty sure his not using endless pads.

put it this way, ferrodo brake pads (commonly used) buy price for mechanics is about $11 for a pair.

ferrodo brake pads that mechanics commonly used are compressed camel shit though.

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #29 on: Jan 8, 2008, 04:15PM »
Don't get me started with mechanics!  Don't ever go to Western Suburbs Automatics in Rocklea.  They took nearly a year for things to get resolved because they didn't know how to connect the boost lines properly destroying my engine and turbo.  They replaced it of course free of charge but was a pain.
RNU12 Bluebird SSS Attesa
HNU13 Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd

Offline greenbird

« Reply #30 on: Jan 8, 2008, 04:15PM »
i've been quoted $750 for a new flex pipe and cat converter (2.25)

Whoa!!!
3 years ago i had a 2.25" system put through my car. That included a brand new high flow cat, a nice long resonator in the middle and a straight through muffler at the rear with a 2.5 inch chrome tip. Total cost was around $600 (give or take $50, can't remember exactly...).
I didn't have any flex pipes replaced, but i don't imagine that the flex pipe would be worth hundreds.... (unless you are buying genuine parts).
So yes, i think that $750 is a total rip off! Keep shopping around... Which State are you in?
Dan.

93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline greenbird

« Reply #31 on: Jan 8, 2008, 04:20PM »
ferrodo brake pads that mechanics commonly used are compressed camel shit though.

Nice one Noss!!!!
I've always used Bendix pads. Never had a problem and the pads wear nicely without chewing out your discs.
My U13 has covered 250000kms now and has NEVER had to have the discs machined. The discs are still pretty smooth and there's no marks/gouges on them bad enough to make it necessary to have them machined.
Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline NIZ013

• post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #32 on: Jan 8, 2008, 07:48PM »
Whoa!!!
3 years ago i had a 2.25" system put through my car. That included a brand new high flow cat, a nice long resonator in the middle and a straight through muffler at the rear with a 2.5 inch chrome tip. Total cost was around $600 (give or take $50, can't remember exactly...).
I didn't have any flex pipes replaced, but i don't imagine that the flex pipe would be worth hundreds.... (unless you are buying genuine parts).
So yes, i think that $750 is a total rip off! Keep shopping around... Which State are you in?
Dan.

I paid $1100 for the full exhaust system that i had on NIZ #1. That was: hi-tech extractors, with 2.25" mandrel bent system, hi-flow cat and cannon (took me a few weeks to get rid of that and put a muffler on though). But i got what i paid for and was never happy with it, even after 3 muffler changes. Lesson learnt. Hence, NIZ #2 has stock exhaust... Although... May get a cat-back exhaust one of these days perhaps...  ::)

Offline NIZ013

• post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #33 on: Jan 8, 2008, 07:51PM »
Nice one Noss!!!!
I've always used Bendix pads. Never had a problem and the pads wear nicely without chewing out your discs.
My U13 has covered 250000kms now and has NEVER had to have the discs machined. The discs are still pretty smooth and there's no marks/gouges on them bad enough to make it necessary to have them machined.
Dan.

I had bendix ultimates on NIZ #1 and never had a problem, i also had the discs machined when i put them. However i put bendix ultimates on my 34 (mechanic recommended them) and they're awful. I still haven't been able to stop the squealing from them 6 months later and the mechanic keeps telling me that i don't go hard enough on them and that i need to stomp on the brakes more and bed them in....

Offline Unbalanced_

• antrx.com junkie
  • U13 owner once again!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 8, 2008, 07:53PM »
I paid $1100 for the full exhaust system that i had on NIZ #1. That was: hi-tech extractors, with 2.25" mandrel bent system, hi-flow cat and cannon (took me a few weeks to get rid of that and put a muffler on though). But i got what i paid for and was never happy with it, even after 3 muffler changes. Lesson learnt. Hence, NIZ #2 has stock exhaust... Although... May get a cat-back exhaust one of these days perhaps...  ::)

As far as exhaust goes, i just got my muffler replaced with a resonator and a chrome tip put on for $150 - And I'm very happy with the way it sounds.
My car history:

Current rides:

Offline LC_TRX

« Reply #35 on: Jan 9, 2008, 12:35PM »
im in the ACT so i dont have heaps of options. whats suprising is that i was quoted $1200 for a full mandrel bent exhaust including cat and flex pipe (2.25")!!

like you said, i'll just keep shopping around...

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #36 on: Jan 9, 2008, 04:26PM »
haha shit LC, that's one bad rip of a price lol

buy a "high flow" cat off eBay for 250 and a flex off there too for 30, make sure the flex is double braided.

labor will be no more than 150 to install them :).