Author Topic: Rear Swaybar Moves Out of Place  (Read 5204 times)

Offline Marty

• west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • *no car :(*
Rear Swaybar Moves Out of Place
« on: Jun 14, 2007, 11:05AM »
This is te 3rd time this has happened to me.
The rear swaybar moves itself up and then rubs against the brake line.
anyone else had this happen and what can the cause be?
al bolts are tight, and its happened in the middle setting and the firmest setting, maybe I'll try the last hole.
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline LUP15

• antrx.com senior member
  • formerly DIGITOBI
Re: Rear Swaybar Moves Out of Place
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2007, 03:03PM »
pictures? the swaybar is connected to the shocks and the chassis. the only place that allows up and down movement would be the part which links onto the shocks. do you have stock shocks atm?

my d2 coilovers hit the endlinks as the actual height of the coilovers is shorter. it requires me to get longer endlinks.
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline Marty

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2007, 04:08PM »
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2007, 06:01PM »
The rear swaybar moves itself up

Weird...

My custom whiteline rear bar was sliding left/right in its D bushes, so I bolted a bracket onto it that jamned it in the one position.

Its flipping up?  Weird!!  Maybe your link pins are not long enough...
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2007, 07:25PM »
ok after looking at that i think its just a simple matter of physics. if u use the hole closest to the end i dont think you will get that problem. but that of course will affect the suspension setup. give it a go, no harm in trying.

also what brand is that? might be a design flaw :/
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline Marty

• post whore
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2007, 07:47PM »
Whiteline,
Wolf was saying in the other thread his did the same on the hardest setting,
Might look at getting some longer pins,

Also it must have been when I was giving it shit round a massive right hander (forgot bout that) the other day.

It just seems very dangerous and highly illegal considering it ruptured my brake hose last time. Will go to my local suspension joint tomorrow that deals with whiteline and see what they have to say.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2007, 08:10PM »
Whiteline,
Wolf was saying in the other thread his did the same on the hardest setting,
Might look at getting some longer pins,

Also it must have been when I was giving it shit round a massive right hander (forgot bout that) the other day.

It just seems very dangerous and highly illegal considering it ruptured my brake hose last time. Will go to my local suspension joint tomorrow that deals with whiteline and see what they have to say.

Its strange marty.  From the image you linked to, it looks as though the U12 links are longer (compared to pics I have on my PC).

I went to go out to the garage to look at my Bluebird to check, then remembered it was not in there ::)

Are the FWD U13 rear swaybar's similar?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2007, 08:12PM »
r u using stock struts? ive got a fixed whiteline rear swaybar and when i had stock struts it didnt do that. it was physically impossible (to a degree due to the amount of suspension compression available) as the part holding it onto the chassis would prevent it flipping.

here a picture of what i mean. my bar is set like the top and you have the bottom situation. the endlink which attaches to the swaybar needs to be right side of the axis of symmetry when your bolting it all up. but as i said, it may be a design flaw and it wont be able to go right of the axis of symmetry on the left most hole...

oh and the top and bottom red arrows refer to what will happen to the swaybar when the shocks travel up and down. yours is flipping when the shocks undergo undulations

« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2007, 08:21PM by LUP15 »

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2007, 08:20PM »
i will get a picture of mine. it will also show my problem of the endlinks being too short with the d2 coilovers and thus the endlinks will hit the coilover on full compression...

also i dont think longer endlinks will help in your case, cause the actual swaybar needs to be longer.

as a temporary solution to the rubbing, you could put the endlinks on the outside rather then the inside. mine are on the outside from memory, but i dont think that would be the cause of the flipping??

« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2007, 08:42PM by LUP15 »

Offline Marty

• post whore
« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2007, 09:16PM »
cheers for the pics,
Yeh I moved it to where you have yours, to the outside, it looks like this will solve the issues.
I've got the full whiteline kit with struts and all the bits, I still need to go see them (suspension mob) as it squeeks like a bitch when I have people in the back.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2007, 01:47AM »
Longer links would probably help, it'd mean the suspension would have to travel further before the bar flips.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #11 on: Jun 15, 2007, 10:41AM »
yeah true. let us know if u get some longer links and how much they are :) ill be going to fulcrum on tuesday so i'll let you know if u havent by then

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #12 on: Jul 4, 2007, 08:51PM »
Just for the record it happened to me on my U13 Attesa with the Whiteline rear adjustable swaybar on the hardest settting.  I since brought it down to the middle setting as per mechanic's instructions and never had a problem since then.
RNU12 Bluebird SSS Attesa
HNU13 Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #13 on: Jul 5, 2007, 12:13AM »
Yep, I also had the same issue. Moved it to the middle setting and it's fine. Maybe someone should see what they can find about possibly some longer links. I only just bought new ones actually, I should have look around a bit more, the standard ones are around $180 for the pair so anything cheaper than that thats longer should be value for money  :)
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline Marty

• post whore
« Reply #14 on: Jul 19, 2007, 10:41AM »
I got quoted $80 for the standard pair, maybe he said 180, I hope not. that seems a lot for what they are, they said there wasn't any longer ones available in that thread pattern,
but he did say they had some bendy ones that were longer. not sure if that would help.

edit-
ended up being $60 for the pair :)
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2007, 01:57PM by -=|Marty|=- »