Author Topic: R31 Pinny Twin Spark Set Up  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • Pinny Panthers
R31 Pinny Twin Spark Set Up
« on: Nov 2, 2003, 01:17AM »
As a lot of you should know the R31 Ca20e features a Twin spark system, from what i have "gathered" the second coil shut's down around 3500-4000 rpm to keep the noise down & to prevent pinging. Ive been thinking about this for a while & would like to know exactly what happens with this system. As we all know the better the fuel burn the more power you get so tweaking this system could gain me a fair bit of power if any thing is possible.

So to list the questions.

1. When the second coil turns off dose the first take over the job supplying all 8 spark plugs & if not then witch ones dose it power ?

2. Is it possible to prevent the second coil from shutting down, but at the sam time prevent any possible pinging ? Noise means stuff all to me.

3. Why exactly would pinging take place at high rpm in a twin spark engine like the ca20e ? or did i hear lies ?

« Last Edit: Nov 2, 2003, 01:21AM by Cle »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re:R31 Pinny Twin Spark Set Up
« Reply #1 on: Nov 2, 2003, 11:44AM »
I think it's just to do with emissions, and no, i don't think the 1st coil powers all 8 plugs, perhaps only the intake side, or vice versa.
I think Aussie_gli might be better off answering your questions, he's got the same system in his U12.

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #2 on: Nov 2, 2003, 01:48PM »
sssgtr, you're right, one coil does the intake side, the other does the exhaust side. I know the plugs on the intake side run all the time, as for the exaust side, I'm not 100% sure. I was under the impression that they both run all the time. But, the two coils have thier own output from the ECU, so the can be controlled independantly. Whether they are or not, I'm not sure. I'll do some investigating when I get a chance.
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #3 on: Nov 2, 2003, 02:01PM »
Thanks guys :)

Offline trxmad

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Nov 2, 2003, 10:36PM »
what is pinging? :love-smiley-086::love-smiley-086::love-smiley-086::love-smiley-086::love-smiley-086::love-smiley-086::love-smiley-086::love-smiley-086:

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #5 on: Nov 3, 2003, 08:12AM »
Early deternation of the plugs, if lef to continue it'll scrue your car.

On a side note i found this at the r31 fourms

orange wire from dist plug to the engine loom plug near the power steering bottle.from here in the  engine harness to the ECU it changes to white with blue trace.

this wire needs to be earthed.
double check before as i havent done this on a pintara.
there are four wires at the dist,ignition power,2 coil negatives[one is the tacho]  the 4th is the switch wire.on a bluebird there is power coming from the dist and this needs to be earthed.Z18ET have a detonation sencor conected to this wire to switch off when pinking.

In this case im unsure if it would be worth it, all depends on when pinging starts... still PULP should help.

Offline FLOGTARA

• 300ZX FANATIC
  • post whore
  • Your mother's got a wooden leg with a kickstand!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 3, 2003, 01:57PM »
I thought all the plugs fired all the time.  At a guess i'd think because the ca20e head flows poorly it would need more sparks down low as cle suggested. As for up high, i guess when there is more air flowing i guess the engine might only need the intake side to work.  

I've heaard many comments from mechanics saying that twin spark setups are only done due to a poorly flowing head design and setup??!!  ???
1990 Z32 2 Seater N/A 5spd
Mods, modified cats, cat back exhaust, HKS air filter, cyn-r-g lightened flywheel, aluminium underdrive pulley, Super HD clutch.