Author Topic: blower resistor?  (Read 1611 times)

Offline pintochic

• antrx.com junior member
blower resistor?
« on: Jan 24, 2016, 02:51PM »
Hii
One day my dash fan spazzed out and went all rattly and sounded like a nest of leaves was circulating inside, a strange smell was also noticed.. i seriously thought rat nest at first...but the leafy sound disapeared after a while but now the dash fan does not work on speed 1,2,3 but works on speed 4, however it is very loud and makes a vibrating sound.
I thought speed 1-3 not working sounds like blower resister or the wiring associated is stuffed? But what about the loud rattly vibrating sound on speed 4? 
Any ideas? Is this an expensive thing to fix?
Thanks for any help :)

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
  • Bread, butter and bacon is how I roll.
Re: blower resistor?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:18PM »
hi

Are you meaning the blower fan for the heater and aircon etc? Or is there a separate fan in the U13 dash for something??

If it is the heater / aircon blower fan, there could be something in the fan blocking it and the fan motor only has enough power to overcome whatever is holding it back when on high power.

On the U12, the fan is easily removed - take the glove box out ideally, though lying on your back with head in the passenger footwell you can see the fan motor.  There are three screws holding it in.  It is easily removed.

I had mine out recently, a few leaves in the fan but otherwise OK. Gave the motor a quick clean and lube (airgun and WD40) and put it back in.

Have a go at removing it for a clean  and see how you get on.  Sorry, cant be much more help!
Old guy who should know better than to mess around with old cars.

Offline pintochic

• antrx.com junior member
Re: blower resistor?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 1, 2016, 08:15PM »
Hi thanks for the reply
i accidentley posted this in the wrong section. I was spose to post it in u12 pintara not u13 sorry. And yes the heater/cooler/air con fan.
Thanks for that info on the fan, i didnt know i could get to it by taking gloge box out. Ill have a fiddle one day soon :)