Author Topic: Replacing a cv boot  (Read 2443 times)

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
Replacing a cv boot
« on: Apr 5, 2008, 01:19PM »
Hey guys.

Quick question. Can u replace a cv boot on a cv joint without removing the joint? Can u just slide a new boot over the joint or do u have to replace the whole joint?

Thanx ash

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: Replacing a cv boot
« Reply #1 on: Apr 5, 2008, 08:09PM »
The joint has to be separated from the cup, re-greased then re-attached with the new boot.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #2 on: Apr 5, 2008, 09:03PM »
and u need a press to do it?

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Apr 5, 2008, 09:07PM »
No, there is a cir-clip inside the joint that holds the cage inside the cup... pop that clip out, then your away.

Bloody messy process however!
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Apr 5, 2008, 09:38PM »
Depends which boot ash.

Inner boots you need to pop the CV joint off the shaft, can be done with a piece of wood / brass used as a drift and hit it with a mallet.

Outer boot you need to remove the joint, or you can buy a "cone" tool which you coat in some light weight oil (like air tool oil) and expand the small end of the boot over the cone to get it over the joint without removing it.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2009, 07:58PM »
I speratically tried to change the outer CV boot this afternoon thinking it would only take an extra hour or so.  2 hours later I still couldnt figure out how to get the CV off so i could slip the boot on.

It was a bit dark so i couldnt see the clip too well, not to mention all the grease in there.  Anyone got any tips to get it off and recommendation of how long to allow?  I'm not really sure what i'm looking for, and if the clip is way inside the joint how the hell do you get it back on afterwards?  Sounds like a bit of a stuff around.

Offline sxtacy

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #6 on: Oct 1, 2009, 01:31PM »
It doesn't take too long to replace, but like you I spent hours mucking around with it before I found out I need a set of circlip pliers.

I picked mine up from supercheap I think for $20 or so. I got a set with interchangeable tips so you can use it for other types of circlips too. Cheapest I have seen, and all the others just do one type of circlip so you have to pay $120+ for a full set.

It is a bitch to do though, I might just pay someone to replace it next time.
nothing.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #7 on: Oct 1, 2009, 01:58PM »
Am I right in assuming you need to pull the driveshafts out?  I didnt want to do that since gearbox oil stinks and its so ennoying to fill again etc etc.
If that is the case i'll take it to a shop.  Surely half their cost is the boots themselves which I already have.. and I already loosened up the hub nuts a little. So i'm hoping for maybe an hour or so of labour.  Might get someone to do that over the weekend if its a drive shaft removal job.  I didnt think it was this hard on my old mazda!

Off topic here (i got it posted somewhere else too) are superlow springs alright to sit in the standard shocks?  Anyone else done this had problems?

Offline greasemonkey

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #8 on: Oct 1, 2009, 06:40PM »
Hi colby,
           alot of the time its quicker and cheaper to replace the whole shaft, i will be down at the weekend to pick up the bonnet and ecu so i can have a look if you like,
                                                                                                 cheers anthony.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #9 on: Oct 2, 2009, 12:06AM »
Hi colby,
           alot of the time its quicker and cheaper to replace the whole shaft, i will be down at the weekend to pick up the bonnet and ecu so i can have a look if you like,
                                                                                                 cheers anthony.

Sounds good, be around all weekend and the Mrs is away so I can do all the car work I want :)