Author Topic: Destroyed Hall Effect Sensor (CA20E)  (Read 3166 times)

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
Destroyed Hall Effect Sensor (CA20E)
« on: Aug 14, 2006, 03:58PM »
Well... Lets just say I didnt have a great weekend. The night was good... clubbing and whatnot... but the drive home... less enjoyable.

Driving back to my mates house, I hooked a corner a little fast (Yellow light... so i kinda pushed it a little) but nothing too exagerrated, a little understeer, but thats normal. What wasnt normal was the sudden loss of engine power. Engine just shut off completely. Bam. Nothing.

Still had electrical power, lights and everything were still on. Stopped on the side of the road, tried to restart it. Starter turned the engine over... but nothing.

Alas, I thought it may have been the dual spark mod I implemented earlier, may have come loose. Checking all connections and still no spark. Power tranistors were still good. Having no tools on me, i couldn't check anything, so a call to NRMA and 30 mins later diagnosed the problem to the hall effect sensor.

Being 40 odd KM from my house, and 300m from my mates, I towed it to his place, got a lift home, and headed to the wreckers that morning. Replacement dizzy cost $60 bucks, and installed into my car, ran beautifully.

Upon dismantling the dizzy in the car, plastic fragments and bits of metal were all inside. The Hall effect sensor was completely disintergrated. All of the fins were bent to shit... and the rotor button... again... had its screw removed (see http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=10694.0). Now this is twice this screw has come loose and cause major grief... when i find my industrial strength cylinder head thread locker im going to use copious amounts on this fucking screw... and make sure she never comes out again.

I reccomend you ca20e guys check the rotor screw for loosening.... and fix it asap.

This is twice my car has been rendered useless because of one screw...  >:(
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2006, 04:05PM by eurisko »

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: Destroyed Hall Effect Sensor (CA20E)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2006, 04:29PM »
Happended to me twice on my old CA20E corsair as well mate!
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2006, 09:01PM »
*shakes head*

Useless... bloody useless. Ah well... lessons learned for all! Hopefully when i convert to ca18de head and use the crank angle sensor, all these problems should go away...

Should.... >:(

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2006, 09:53PM »
They are a transistor aren't they if its the HMS i am thinking of. The transistor is cheap as chips.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2006, 12:04AM »
It isn't a transistor but it does look a bit like one. It's a little sensor that senses metal.

I haven't had the screw come loose on my rotor yet. I must have got one of the few good ones :P
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2006, 12:14AM »
Ill take a photo of the damage asap. Maybe tomorrow. I would have just replaced the hall sensor (easily swiped from a wreckers) but the fins were bent completely out of shape. Meaning either the dizzy is off balance...or i have a dodgy rotor. Either way... for 60 bucks i wont risk it again.

*Breathe out*

Its over now... so its all good. Just a warning fellas!

I haven't had the screw come loose on my rotor yet. I must have got one of the few good ones :P

And i pray for your sake it never happens! *Thumbs up*

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2006, 12:16AM »
ever considered trying thread lock? that sort of problem would be annoying.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2006, 12:29AM »
... when i find my industrial strength cylinder head thread locker im going to use copious amounts on this fucking screw...

;)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline ffourc

• antrx.com senior member
  • old man off the block
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2006, 12:43PM »
and use the crank angle sensor, all these problems should go away

unfortunately I think you'll find a CAS can be much more tempermental and sensitive, in fact they make the old hall sensor seem "bulletproof".

Offline Webby71

• antrx.com pre-pewbie newbie
« Reply #9 on: Jun 8, 2010, 11:28AM »
G'day all.
I'm new to antrx.  Loving all the information that's being shared by all... Great stuff.

Can anyone please tell me where I can get a CAS for a CA20E engine in a 1991 Ford Corsair (UA ??)

I'm in Cranbourne, Victoria.

I'm an electronics tech by trade, however, haven't worked in the industry in 12 years, but I'm interested in a comment I saw Re: Being able to buy a Hall-Effect sensor from Jaycar.

The problem we had with the missus' Corsair was pretty damned similar to most I've seen on here... Idles fine, runs around town fine, but give it some herbs... And she hesitates, splutters, sounds and feels like she's starved of fuel ( the car, not the missus ).

It's been diagnosed as being the CAS but we're told we can't buy the CAS alone for this model, we have to buy a whole new Dizzy at $400 (wholesale) or bring a new CAS in at $1000 landed from USA ( Not going to happen that way)

We're seriously considering the option of just grabbing a 2nd hand dizzy from the wreckers' and taking our chances.
Thanks again, any firther advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Leigh

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 14, 2010, 05:02PM »
I doubt you'd be able to adapt a generic hall effect sensor to the dizzy.

You should be able to get a dizzy from a wrecker and swap the bits into yours. The CAS isn't a common problem on those motors.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!