Author Topic: Squeeking/shaking at low revs - engine mounts or springs?  (Read 4365 times)

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
Hey guys!

Man did I miss posting on this board...
Anyhow; When I drive at low revs (2nd gear, ~20ks), which happens a lot because of all the F%$#ING SPEED BUMPS IN MY F^#%&#ING AREA (The last one was 6 letters long... guess that one smart asses :P).. anywho the car makes a squeeking noise and rocks back and forth juuuuust a little. The clutch is good enough to coast at this speed without stalling, and I tried it 'coz I thought maybe I'd un-learned to drive manual. Lo and behold - it still did it.

</wall of text> SO! I've never had to deal with issues like these, usually I send it off to the mechanics, but DIY is just so gratifying, and there's a totally awesome community chock full of knowledge just eager to help me.. I asked them but they didn't know so I came to you guys instead.  :P I kid I kid..

My first thought was engine mounts, 'coz one is starting to look pretty meehh, although no cracks in the rubber. Upon further thinking, It may very well be the springs, since they squeek a helluva lot when they have to compress. Any words of wisdom O wise community?

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
Re: Squeeking/shaking at low revs - engine mounts or springs?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2011, 11:52PM »
I first thought somehting to do with power steering, but it would only happen during hard turning.
You'd know if it were springs when you go over the speed bumps i would think.

Offline Cheezel

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2011, 12:41AM »
Nah defs not power steering - we're talking about straight line stuff. The entire car gently rocks back and forward like it can't "sit" at a low speed. I'd imagine its not HAPPY about doing 20kms in 2nd, thus the clutch would be pushing it a bit, but the rocking effect, as mild as it is, shouldnt happen at all.

I'm thinking it's *caused* by the clutch, but the springs are so crappy they give way... fwiw they squeek something fierce when i go over bumps, but not once have i ever hit the bumpstops...

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2011, 02:23AM »
squeak could be the rubber pad between the springs and the strut is gone. Causing a metal on metal squeak or metal on whats left of the rubber casing on the springs.

The rocking when your just clutch out driving no accelerator, is normal. I remember my pintara doing it, and still does it now with my sr20det conversion. Its more noticeable now which could be the much stronger clutch i have in there now.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Cheezel

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2011, 02:24PM »
Ah, sounds good then. I'm thinking of my old laser, '86, even that old thing didnt rock, but that had an awesome meaty clutch, hence why i thought it was unusual.

OK so if the rubbers gone i need to pull out the springs anyhow... was gonna chop the front springs anyhow to find out the height that I want, before i go order some proper ones. What sort of thickness/type of rubber have you all used? Since I'm sure I'm not the only person that's needed to replace their rubber...

I've only got the one car.. i need to buy parts before i pull it off the road.  :D

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2011, 03:03PM »
What sort of thickness/type of rubber have you all used? Since I'm sure I'm not the only person that's needed to replace their rubber...

I have Durex at the moment, but think I like Ansell better ribbed or knobbly... either of those and the gentle rocking is exactly what you need.  ;)

in seriousness I'd suggest a small tyre tube split in half for the spring cusion.

Offline Cheezel

« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2011, 03:24PM »
I have Durex at the moment, but think I like Ansell better ribbed or knobbly... either of those and the gentle rocking is exactly what you need.  ;)

in seriousness I'd suggest a small tyre tube split in half for the spring cusion.

Normally my first instinct is go for the thinnest skinned rubber possible.  :D
Really? A tyre tube can withstand that sort of rubbing? Huh! Ive got a few kicking around from the bmx days, so that should do nicely. Cheers! :D

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2011, 06:36PM »
I went to clark rubber or somewhere like that and bought some 3mm (i think) rubber from them and then just cut it to suit.
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Cheezel

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2011, 10:51PM »
That thin? I'll check it out, price depending i'd like something thicker, though not too thick since I guess it'd be a bit too springy... =/

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2011, 11:57PM »
3mm was what I used. Has lasted alright however if I did it again I would go thicker. Maybe 5mm.

Don't worry about going too thick and it bring spongy. You've got the weight of the car on it so unless its crazy thick you won't have any dramas.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Cheezel

« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2011, 01:32PM »
While I remember...

Yes, it was both. Two of the mounts are absolutely cactus, and the rubber around the springs fell out when i was poking around down there. I'm hoping not all of it did, since there's supposed to be tension in the spring regardless of how much the shock extends...  ;D