Author Topic: The horn has a mind of its own.  (Read 5301 times)

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
The horn has a mind of its own.
« on: Mar 7, 2005, 04:52PM »
i was driving to work this morning at about 6:15 and i got about 50 metres up my street before my horn beeped quickly by itself.
'thats odd' i thought, but i kept driving. In the next street the horn beeped twice quickly, i was starting to get worried at this point but kept on driving anyway.
about a minute later the horn went off again, but didnt stop, however a good pounding set it straight.

By now i had started hit hit a bit of traffic, and the horn starts going nuts with long and short bursts but no amount of pounding would stop it
highly embarrassed i continued to drive and look for a side street which i could turn into to rectify the problem, luckily the horn had stopped by now. I was getting incredibly annoyed, and felt sorry for the poor bastards that were sleeping in the houses of the street i was on. I decided that the best course of action was to rip out the fuse. As soon as i pulled the fuse cover off the damn thing went off again in an unrelenting fashion, i located the fuse, and had a few futile attempts at removing it by hand. with the horn still going off i ran to the boot where i had my screwdriver set, i picked my weapons of choice (the 2 big fuck off slotted ones) and scurried around to the front. With almost surgeon like precision i placed one either side and extracted it
(ok i lied, i jabbed them there and fucking ripped the thing out of the socket, sending it flying onto the road at my feet))

relieved, i high tailed it out of the suburb i had awoken.

Offline bungs

• post whore
Re: The horn has a mind of its own.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 7, 2005, 05:04PM »
that happened to me in my old car once. First time i hit it, and it stopped. Second time it didn't wanna stop, and because i was driving i couldn't take the fuse out so i just ripped the centre bit on the steering wheel out hehe :)

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 7, 2005, 05:31PM »
i reckon the horn pad (bit in the middle of the wheel) will be broken.

Happened to me.

There's a rubber cover over the centre of the wheel (at least on the R31 GLi) and under that there's some cheap plastic for the frame over the horn contact. Mine broke and completed the circuit, until I taped it back together with PVC tape.
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline Pringles

• antrx.com baked not fried
  • post whore
  • ;-) check me out !
« Reply #3 on: Mar 7, 2005, 05:33PM »
i was driving to work this morning at about 6:15 and i got about 50 metres up my street before my horn beeped quickly by itself.
'thats odd' i thought, but i kept driving. In the next street the horn beeped twice quickly, i was starting to get worried at this point but kept on driving anyway.
about a minute later the horn went off again, but didnt stop, however a good pounding set it straight.

By now i had started hit hit a bit of traffic, and the horn starts going nuts with long and short bursts but no amount of pounding would stop it
highly embarrassed i continued to drive and look for a side street which i could turn into to rectify the problem, luckily the horn had stopped by now. I was getting incredibly annoyed, and felt sorry for the poor bastards that were sleeping in the houses of the street i was on. I decided that the best course of action was to rip out the fuse. As soon as i pulled the fuse cover off the damn thing went off again in an unrelenting fashion, i located the fuse, and had a few futile attempts at removing it by hand. with the horn still going off i ran to the boot where i had my screwdriver set, i picked my weapons of choice (the 2 big fuck off slotted ones) and scurried around to the front. With almost surgeon like precision i placed one either side and extracted it
(ok i lied, i jabbed them there and fucking ripped the thing out of the socket, sending it flying onto the road at my feet))

relieved, i high tailed it out of the suburb i had awoken.

i couldn't stop laughing that posibly the best story about a horn i\ve ever heard

but that aside i think rake had the same problem and it may be in the tech articals area
Check out the Brown Couch !
the ole Nissan caught a cold... puachtuuu..!
i lost a testicle while shaving my scrotum
Jono wasn't here!

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #4 on: Mar 7, 2005, 07:02PM »
This is what was happening to my car.

Quick fix is to just pull the horn part of the steering wheel off - the part with nissan written on it. It's easy. Get your fingers behind it (on the top and the sides on the bottom spoke), and just pull it, it'll come off easily. Take off the little black earthing wire, chuck on passenger seat, bam de la boom no more horn.

What happened with my steering wheel horn switch thing is that the foam inside had gone shitty, it had disintegrated and gone flat/broken up, causing two metal plates to touch which is what is only meant to happen when it has pressure on it (Compressing the foam, and letting the plates touch through holes cut into it).

I wrote a short how-to on fixing it and noss chucked it in the technical section. --> http://www.antrx.com/tech/article.php?t=5572

Or I could fix it for you, I've got some foam here which I used to fix mine, I've got heaps left :) it's 6mm thick too so it makes it a little 'harder' to activate the horn but ensures it won't randomly go off.
« Last Edit: Mar 7, 2005, 07:31PM by Rake »

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Mar 7, 2005, 08:18PM »
top stuff rob, ill give it a go
i wont trouble you for something i can probably work out

ill probably find some foam lying around at work
but until then, no horn
i never use it anyway

Offline SLCKING

• antrx.com full member
  • WATS CRACKING
« Reply #6 on: Mar 8, 2005, 03:38PM »
HAAAA HAAAA

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
  • Speed Thrills - Stupidity Kills
« Reply #7 on: Mar 8, 2005, 06:14PM »
mine stuffed up ages ago, went off at 2am in the morning. fixed it when i put the new steering wheel on before i went away at xmas.
Take it to the limit - take it to the track.
speed safe; club level motorsport.
Life is like a box of chocolates.

Offline WantaTRX

• antrx.com senior member
  • 1991 White TRX
« Reply #8 on: Mar 8, 2005, 11:46PM »
I woulda just gone for the take the plug off the horn procedure personally.. but yeah, that woulda been funny to see... some guys horn goin off all crazy and him tryin to rip the fuse out... i wish i saw it...
quote from my friend "my VN will kick your 4 cylinder car's ass, coz its a 6 cylinder" haha

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Mar 9, 2005, 05:14AM »
you talking about in the engine bay?
i didnt really know where that was so i went with the option i knew i could pull off

Offline trxmad

• post whore
« Reply #10 on: Mar 9, 2005, 10:39AM »
think hes talking about ripping off the centre bit of your steering wheel

Offline WantaTRX

• 1991 White TRX
« Reply #11 on: Mar 9, 2005, 11:08AM »
hhaa, yeah i was talking about in the engine bay, the plugs that connect directly to the horns themself.  But yeah, i spose you just rip at what you know will work
quote from my friend "my VN will kick your 4 cylinder car's ass, coz its a 6 cylinder" haha

Offline trxmad

• post whore
« Reply #12 on: Mar 9, 2005, 11:24AM »
my bad

i would be trying to do it without going into the engine bay as that would make the horn louder.. but that would also be humorous

Offline BoGAn

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 9, 2005, 01:33PM »
Given the amount of shit nissan likes to put in the way of things, Im surprised the horn is not in a position that requires the gearbox to be removed to gain acess.

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2005, 06:19PM »
The horns are in front of the radiator. I fitted my falcon ones without any troubles :P

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2005, 09:31AM »
i fitted a single Falcon horn to my R31, but I had to extend the wire, just because i needed the longer bracket. Also I had to solder a wire onto the bracket, because Nissan use the bracket as the negative, where Falcons have a wire.
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2005, 09:03PM »
For my car, I just got 2 more plugs (The same that provide positive current into the horns), and a little washer/ring thing which had a part crimped onto some wire. Soldered the two plugs (with attached wire) to that of the ring/washer thing, chucked it on one of the bolt locations for the horns and voila.

My corsair had 2 horns, and I got two falcon trumpet horns (400hz and 500hz tones), donor car was an EB or something of that vintage (Give or take, so it could've been an EA or something). Sounds alot better than 1 IMO :)

Anyway I wanna know how Milford is getting on with his spontanious horn :P

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2005, 05:04AM »
i dont have much free time in between work and being hungover :(

Offline BoGAn

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2005, 12:02PM »
yah, i know.  :P Just making a lighthearted comment that nissan like to complicate matters

Offline mycal

• antrx.com junior member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2007, 04:19AM »
My horn just started beeping full at 5AM goddamit.

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2007, 08:22AM »
yup its never at a good time. mine did it at 4am, the morning after i first got it. so we didn't know if it was an alarm or what.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2007, 08:50AM »
My TRX's horn did it at 11:30... stupid dodgy aussie U12 horns!
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline MAG86

• L24ET on the way.....
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:02AM »
I punched my horn in angewr (a fair bit) a while back, and every now and then it blipped

a few months back at a mates wedding where i was a groomsman it went spastik and started beeping non-stop DURING THE VOWS...

ppl were looking out windows to see who the fk head woul dbe beeping outside a wedding!

the missus found my keys inher bag and ran out to try to make it stop, she ended up ripping the whole horn section off the wheel... good one!

i fixeded it that night....
[0O\======/O0]

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:43AM »
My horn doesn't work at all....so no random beeping for me  ;D

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2007, 03:44PM »
i saw this thread in the 'last post' section, and though ".....i think i made that thread an eternity ago"

i was right.

way to go grave diggers!

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2007, 06:04PM »
I disconnected my horn. Mine only went off at night, maybe because of the cold weather? Never during the day, but random blips and getting stuck at 3am and 2am all the time. One time it went off when someone broke into my car (they did all 3 cars, and my horn incidentally went off, they ran off leaving the door open haha).
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline mycal

• antrx.com junior member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:42AM »
There was no warning beeps for me. I hadn't had any problems with the horn before. it just turned fully on until i ripped the fuse out at 5am.
had a look at the foam between the contacts, and it didn't look too worn so I'm not sure if it's worth replacing. But I'm going to leave the horn out until i have a few good night sleeps.