Author Topic: Nos  (Read 4212 times)

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • Pinny Panthers
Nos
« on: Sep 15, 2003, 11:07PM »
Well it seams to be the cheap & easy way to get big power increases (although i imagine refils would not be cheap) so why exactly has no one done it hear ? i mean even on the low scale of 50 Hp that's still 38Kw worth of power (125max=96kw for 4 cyl version or 75=57kw for ka), witch is a bloody lot when you think of how much we pay for 2-5 kw... even the cams only get around 15kw.

So why has no one gone for it ? Laws ? Cops ? or hiden problems ?
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2003, 11:15PM by Cle »

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
Re:Nos
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2003, 11:20PM »
umm i dont know a great deal about it but i am sure that it is illegal, in WA anyway so i guess that ties in with "cops" and laws"... as for "hidden problems"  nos is really bad for your engine and just destroys it over time (from what i've heard).

Most of the time i think its just the novelty of having nos that draws alot of people into getting it, fast and the furious styles  :P.  I've spoken to a mechanic anbout it and yeh he said it is nothing but bad news for engines.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2003, 11:21PM by Gli »

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2003, 11:25PM »
True enough i spose but as it is i know a lot of guys who only plan on having there cars for 5-6 years... and its not like people don't abuse there cars with turbo either.

I was just woundering really, i mean it was up on antrx shop & well no one seams to have tryed it even on the skyline club, witch seams odd.

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2003, 11:31PM »
yeh as i said thats just what i've heard from people, but seeing as no one has done it then that probably means they havent for a reason...

i dunno i reckon it'd be pretty sweet personally, when your just falling behind in a drag and at the push of a button you go flying past em  ;D

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2003, 11:34PM »
well it seems to be a pretty big task to put in, looking at all the little bits n pieces. Prolly have to get it done professionally. Professionally = More cash

And yeh i thought it was illegal to have nos tanks in, but legal to have the kit. Legal to use on the track, not on the streets tho for obvious reasons.  ::)

i dunno, might be wrong?
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2003, 11:35PM by Nizzan »

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2003, 12:10AM »
check this out
http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/nosinstall/NOS_Install.htm

just to get an idea of the work involved

trxadelaide

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2003, 12:17AM »
putting noss on a pinny would only b a good idea if u regularly took it down 2 the strip. Noss aint gonna give u sustained power it's only 4 short bursts so u press the button and it's all over within like 5 seconds!.. Personally I would prefer spending my money on a turbo conversion that way the power is always there when u want to use it.. Youd end up spending a fortune in refill costs as well dude...not 2 mention u would probably blow your ring lands 2 pieces within no time!

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2003, 12:34AM »
like i said im not intrested in getting nos, just intrested in it :) so few people have done it... kinda makes ya wounder :) If i had the money id go turbo or super on a new engine :)
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2003, 12:46AM by Cle »

Offline jayjay

• TRXXX
    • featured
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2003, 01:37AM »
noss is all good but where would you use it anyway ?
its not like any of us go out there and race for cash or anything, and if you used it in a everyday drag poeple would think your a wanker anyway
plus i dont think Noss would like driving around in my boot all the time , im pretty sure hed get cramped and eed feeding occasionally
hehehe
jayjay
Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But If I win, I take the burger AND the TOY. To some people that's more important

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2003, 08:15AM »
Lmao !!  ::)

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2003, 11:52AM »
For a start even having the line hooked up on the street and getting caught is something like a $2000-4000 fine regardless of whether you're using it or not; to have a motor setup properly costs the same amount as a built turbo engine (forged pistons etc); the bottle runs out.....
I briefly considered it on an all out NA motor but in a cost/performance ratio turbo won hands down.

Offline FLOGTARA

• 300ZX FANATIC
  • post whore
  • Your mother's got a wooden leg with a kickstand!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2003, 06:36PM »
Nos is definately a no go if you want to waste your money and your engine that isn't strong enough to handle it.  

CLE, get a Zorst and extractors and thatll keep you happy for a month or two.
1990 Z32 2 Seater N/A 5spd
Mods, modified cats, cat back exhaust, HKS air filter, cyn-r-g lightened flywheel, aluminium underdrive pulley, Super HD clutch.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2003, 06:41PM »
Exhaust and extractors kept me happy for a whole of 3 mins.....

trxadelaide

« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2003, 07:23PM »
zorst and extractors... mate..i dont rekon it makes that much of a difference.. Me and CORSAIR GHIA had a pretty long high speed drag the other night and there was no difference even though i got extractors.. and we took it upto ???km/h.. no difference at all!!!

edit: antrx.com doesn't condone illegal drag racing....
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2003, 08:24PM by sssgtr »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2003, 08:26PM »
That's right, you didn't.....
And no, i'm not a forum nazi, cops don't seem to need much evidence these days in relation to illegal drag racing.

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2003, 08:31PM »
Exhaust and extractors kept me happy for a whole of 3 mins.....

Ya bloody power whore :P

Nice to see no one listens to what i say :P  ;) ive said it before n ill say it again, if i had 2G sitting around & intended on spending it on a ca (witch i would not do in the first place) then id rather go turbo, im purly intrested in nos because no one i know has it. As far interinals go Noss has said the ca18e & 20e are the same bar the fact the 18 has twin cam, ca18's are known to take punishment so i don't see any problem with nosing either car, stock interinals are said to be fine for lower levels of nos, just like a turbo, Low levels Can run on STD just so long as your not after the big power.

I will agree on cost though $51 to refill the small bottle LOL 10 runs too !! you wouldn't want to be a poor man.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2003, 11:30PM »
The CA20 internals are no where near as strong as the CA18DET....
You could only perhaps getaway with a 50hp shot, but to be honest, it ain't worth it.

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2003, 12:27AM »
Ca18de not det :) But ya it's pointless to do any thing big on a ca20 ;) unless it's a turbo ca20 but there's only a few of thoes around these days.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2003, 01:02AM »
no one listens to me either obviously.. i didnt say a ca18det was the same.. i said that **apparently** the ca20e is the same as the ca18ET not the DET

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

SaMmYJ

« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2003, 12:47PM »
ahh noss i woudnt mind that , wat do i need to put it on my stock engin without blowing it up

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2003, 12:51PM »
A kit worth around the $1.5k mark for one, plus another $500 or so for installation, then about $50 each bottle refill which only lasts about 10 runs.
I wouldn't expect a stock engine to last long.

trxadelaide

« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2003, 03:16PM »
cheers 4 the edit sssgtr! I completely understand. if the cops ever come knocking on your door  because of sumtin they read on ANTRX then tell them politely to prove that u wrote what u did on that forum.. They cant do it! it's all coincidental..

but it can still damage the clubs reputationso ill watch what I say in the future :-X..my sincere apologees everyone! :)

p.s who wasn't listening 2 u noss and sssgtr??? i think iv missed sumthing ???I undertood when u said ca18et and not ca18det

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2003, 03:30PM »
i mentioned the ca18et in the "hello from thailand" thread. but here it was posted that i said the ca18det.. i just wanted to clarify that, thats all.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

trxadelaide

« Reply #23 on: Sep 17, 2003, 06:18PM »
noss: okly dokley