Author Topic: suspension 4 traction  (Read 3940 times)

trxadelaide

suspension 4 traction
« on: Sep 11, 2003, 03:29PM »
hey.. just out of interest i was wondering if anything can be done to increase the amount of traction on a front wheel drive vehicle?. For eg. drag rear wheel drives change there suspention to make it squat more therefore transfering more weight over the rear wheels giving more traction. Would it work to low and stiffen the rear shocks so as to stop the rear end in our car from sqating therefore keeping more weight over the front wheels??

i was thinking someone like sssgtr with his some 200kw at the front wheels might b able to shed some light  on this... Atleast i think it's sssgtr who has the sr20?????????

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty
    • Antrx
Re:suspension 4 traction
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2003, 03:36PM »
SIR_TRX, not sssgtr. Soon enough though, it will be sssgtr too

trxadelaide

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2003, 04:02PM »
yeah i just realised that... still.. sssgtr's figure of 90kw @wheels is pretty damm good!!!! that thing would definately go like stink!! still surely he would have some traction problems??

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2003, 04:33PM »
i make 1kw less than sssgtr but on the dyno i pulled a much higher torque figure.. i really have no traction problems at all.. at the moment i have stock wheels & stock suspension, although that all changes this weekend, as i have purchased just a touch over $1000 worth of suspension gear that i'll be installing on the weekend.

really you just have to learn how to drive your car.. learn what it does, when, how and why. if your gonna sit at the lights and then drop the clutch at anything around 3000rpm or higher, then of course your going to have fuck all traction. personally i launch at 1800rpm or so, and i have a good combination of launch speed and traction.. i might get a bit of a small screech every now and then, but its not often, and its not much. but then your car having a bog stock engine other than extractors might not take off so well at that level of rpms..

one thing that i have noticed though as i have done more mods, and especially since i've had the new clutch installed, is that on every gear change, the car pulls hard to the drivers side as the clutch engages.. this for those that dont know is torque steer.. but its something i am getting used to and i can now hold the car relatively straight as i'm pulling away.. although once i scared the shit out of myself, and probably the driver of a honda civic who, as i flew past him, on the change from 1st to 2nd the car jolted towards him quite harshly.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2003, 05:05PM »
It goes ok....nothing fantastic. I'm still having some issues with the car atm.
 An LSD helps with traction, that i do not have...but if you get decent tires in 205 width, they stick good, useless with 200kw's at the wheels but good round corners.

flupstar

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2003, 05:29PM »
seeing as though no one has replied to this.. I might as well :)

Yes, getting a stiffer tail end will help with traction.. your theory is spot on. What else can you do? for starters, try and avoid lowering your car excessively. this will effect camber and tyre contact area will most likely be reduced under accelleration.. that is unless there is a camber adjustment I dont know of. Then the usual laws apply... Smaller wheels are typically better.. for bigger, less stiff walled tyres
Oh, and good front wheel alignments will help a lot too. too much toe in/out really makes each wheel work against the other..

Some good, wide tyres!

and the aforementioned good driving style :)

-Tristan

SaMmYJ

« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2003, 03:21AM »
noss wat suspention u got going in ?? , i booked for 2morow computer align in preston to do all bushes n wheel alighnment now i got my kyb shockers n allready had peders ultra low shockers hehe just need strut brace front n rear n should b magic :))

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2003, 10:50AM »
superlow springs, gas sports shocks, oversized stiffer sway bars. installing myself to keep the costs down.

SaMmYJ

« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2003, 01:14PM »
i just came back from alighment and ordered front n rear swaybars :)

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2003, 09:34PM »
yeah i just realised that... still.. sssgtr's figure of 90kw @wheels is pretty damm good!!!! that thing would definately go like stink!! still surely he would have some traction problems??

HAHAHA... I read that exact comment the other day, and I had no idea what it meant! Im assuming goes like stink is a good thing? The article I was reading was from a wheels mag, and they said that about our 2.4L engine. The 2.0 was horrible while the 2.4 went like stink. Good thing right? for the KA24E drivers?

Not having a go at you 2.0L people!!!! Just curious, I can put the atricle up here if you like!

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2003, 01:47AM »
but if you get decent tires in 205 width, they stick good, useless with 200kw's at the wheels but good round corners.

while we are sort of on the topic does anyone know if 225s will fit a pintara. its just my mate said he'd sell me his old rims off his 180sx there 16x7 and i'm pretty sure he said they have 225s maybe 235s? would they stick out alot or anything?

SaMmYJ

« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2003, 02:23AM »
haha 235 no hope. 225 maybe but its gona rub if u turn !

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2003, 10:54AM »
The 180 rims will unfortunately be the wrong offset, suited for a RWD.

trxadelaide

« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2003, 04:12PM »
ahahaha.. yeah goes like stink is a good thing!!!!

thanks 4 the info guys!! It's interesting what u said about the toque steer though noss!! I would hate that!!!! i once drove a pulsar that did that and it wasn't very nice to drive.. i suppose like u say, ud get used to it.

Also...I didn't realise that u had almost 90kw@wheels noss!!!now i understand why u can keep up with so many imports!!!

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2003, 05:13PM »
Posted by: sssgtr  Posted on: Today at 09:54:15am  
The 180 rims will unfortunately be the wrong offset, suited for a RWD.  

ohh what... damn thats ruined my day, i had such a nice deal lined up and all

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2003, 05:19PM »
is that on every gear change, the car pulls hard to the drivers side as the clutch engages..

So LSD pinnys pull to the drivers side? My car goes to the left, so i know i have to pull the steering wheel to the right to keep the car straight.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Sep 15, 2003, 05:26PM »
i make 1kw less than sssgtr but on the dyno i pulled a much higher torque figure..

I noticed on the dyno graph it was only between a certain point within 100rpm, if it was held for 1000rpm then you'd notice it. Your dyno pull also stopped at a lower rpm, about 6000 if i recall, mine went up to redline. Correct me if i'm wrong, i can't find the jpeg of your run.
Of course things are slightly different now.... ;D

trxadelaide: I don't know if you read the thread on the dyno day, but noss ran without an air filter on his CAI, on top of that his intake temps were about 6 degress cooler than someone like myself with a std airbox. He was also running much leaner courtesy of the chip he was using at the time, while i was running pig rich. Had i been running the same type of air/fuel ratios as noss, i probably would've made another 5-6kw, if not more. It may seem like i'm making up excuses, but everything still isn't running right in my engine.

SaMmYJ

« Reply #17 on: Sep 15, 2003, 11:36PM »
if i had a good engine i would of got more power !

trxadelaide

« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2003, 12:23AM »
nahh that sound reasonable 2 me sssgtr..With the amount of mods your car has it should b pushing out more than 90kw thats 4 sure.. not that thats not a good figure but i would have thought it would b better. I would b very interested to see what sort of power you push out once u got everything sorted, especially tuning!!u gotta get it dynoed again dude!!!!! ;D

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2003, 11:58AM »
Need to get cashed up first!
Quad tb's are being done after the solid lifters and a few other small repairs, after tuning i'll be pissed if it isn't pulling 115kw+ at the wheels on a stock bottom end.

Anyway, back on the suspension topic, i still have every intention of designing and fabricating a radius rod kit to reduce wheelhop, plus some other goodies like a lower control arm (LCA) brace, new front/rear engine torque mounts, coilovers for the front/maybe rears and new rear bushes.

SaMmYJ

« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2003, 12:38AM »
i ordered whiteline front and rear swaybars and unknown brand ofset bush to fix my handling icant wait too see how it goes also i got installed kyb shockers and peders ultra low springs :) n hopfully geting one of noss's strut brace , but i cant seem to find a rear one ?? andknoe knoe if ther is one  made ?? whiteline dont make em

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2003, 12:50AM »
hopefully the guys that are going to make the front ones will also make rear ones.