Author Topic: Fold-down backseats in the U13's?  (Read 4060 times)

Offline hecate

• antrx.com junior member
Fold-down backseats in the U13's?
« on: Aug 27, 2007, 09:33PM »
Hi, looking to buy a bluebird, had a gander at a few of 'em, possibly buying a Ti that I've looked at (gotta confirm money situation :S) can't seem to find any manual SSS's here in Melbourne cheap enough :( but that's getting distracted. Anyway, I keep on forgetting to check this, and it's something I'd like to know. Do the back seats fold down? All the cars that've been in my family have folded down, but a whole lotta my friends cars they don't, and it's such a useful feature to have.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
Re: Fold-down backseats in the U13's?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2007, 09:47PM »
unfortunately no, all the u13's have is a small ski-port (I think only on the SSS but I may be wrong).
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline hecate

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2007, 09:51PM »
Yeah, read about that, and I think it's only on the SSS, but you can make your own little ski-port if you so desire as it's only a thin thing there :P
Thanks for that, and that's a bummer :( I really want a bluebird, but my grandparents are chipping in half with me, and they're already doubtful about the bluebird, and this is one of their favourite features in a car, so it'll just make it even harder to sell to 'em :( (they love toyota's and want me to get a camry. blardy sow of a car it is too...)

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2007, 10:06PM »
My mum drives a Camry (1999 model, 2.2L l4) and it's gut-less, far too heavy for it's poor engine to lug around everywhere and the brakes are no where near big enough - but it suits her fine.

Bluebirds really are quality cars, very very under-rated. Although I drive an imported u13 (AWD turbo :P) It's body and interior are still the same as a aus-spec one. The build quality is quite good and I personally like the interior and the "pastie" body shape. As for selling it to your grandparents be sure to talk up the safety features, things like drivers airbag (standard on series 1 i think) and there's a link somewhere here about it's crash safety rating, 4/5 stars if i remember correctly. Then there's fuel efficiency - from what i read the manual ka24de's in the bluebird can return decent mileage (or kilometer-age :D).

Really shouldn't be that hard of a sale. Good luck though :)
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2007, 11:00PM by JelloBello »
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2007, 10:54PM »
Everyhting jellobello said is right about fuel economy, safety, Airbag is on series 2 aswell.
I found out today that there is a manual SSS for sale in Perth, WA if your interested.
http://www.quokka.com.au/template.php/5125d852e016170907e3a2978e2fe80c/search

unfortunately no, all the u13's have is a small ski-port (I think only on the SSS but I may be wrong).

My SSS has the ski port and no fold down.
From the seat mouldings i dont reckon that you could actually get a flat floor if the rear seat folded down.
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline hecate

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2007, 02:42AM »
Yeah, I really like the bodyshape too, Jello. I especially like it on the Ti's, I think the spoiler and tilted sun roof just make it look *fast* and the little roobar on the front also makes it look better too in some instances. I've wanted a bluebird for years, and been looking into 'em, considered getting either a u12 or a 910 or something and having a play around with the spare cash I'd have, but then my grandparents offered me a bit more, so decided I'd go for a u13 if I could convince 'em, and then I'd be with something that's more comfortable, better fuel economy (bit of a concern with me being kinda poor atm :() But I saw that safety thing the other day, gonna show that to 'em, 'cause they're concerned about safety stuff, and I mentioned that the S2's have airbags and ABS, but the problem is, that the few that I've seen in Melbourne area that are low km's (something I'm looking for) have all been S1 or quite ridiculously expensive. Been looking at a 130,000km Ti that's been looked after, priced at around $6800, otherwise there's an SSS with similar k's in manual for $6,500 or a Ti with 180,000km's for $6000. Trying to work out which ones the best deal, and whether the manual would be more fun, or the whole sunroof and being lazy in an auto and buying a manual project car later on :P

(And I'm in Melbourne, slim, but thanks for the thought :D)
If anyone knows of any good quality SSS or Ti's (Don't think I want a LX, prefer spending a bit more for some features) in Melbourne, preferably with low km's, in good condition, and cheapish, drop me a line.

*edit* goddamnit, why are all the U13's cheaper everywhere but in Melbourne :( jumped on that quokka thing, seems you can get an SSS with 12xk km's for $6000 which is right where I'd like to spend (but I'm stretching to more for something here >_<) and there's Ti's '95 models for about the same price as well, here LX's are generally listed at ~$6k and SSS/Ti's are generally $6500+, too. Makes me sad :(
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2007, 02:48AM by hecate »

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2007, 12:36PM »
Trying to work out which ones the best deal, and whether the manual would be more fun, or the whole sunroof and being lazy in an auto and buying a manual project car later on Tongue

ild definetly get manual they seem more responsive and according to stats have the better fuel economy.

S2's have airbags and ABS,
You might be wrong, only the attesa had abs and no airbag.
Someone here could confirm that
I know in my series 2 its airbag only but i have only locked up the brakes once, on a extreme wet road at high speeds.
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2007, 01:15PM »
The series two are meant to have ABS and Air bags. It's something i looked into when buying mine. i'm not a huge fan of airbags, so i bought a series one.

Mine did me really well for the almost 3 years i had her until it was written off by the damn semi. I can vouch for the safety of the car, as in the accident i was hit by a semi and a 4wd and then ended up stuck on the guardrail and it didn't really crumple anywhere majorly. If i didn't have the 34, i would've definately bought another u13.

And as you said, you're best off going for the SSS or TI (if you can stand auto), to get the better features.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2007, 03:46PM »
afaik no Aus u13's came with abs, only the imports.
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2007, 06:55PM »
The series two are meant to have ABS and Air bags. It's something i looked into when buying mine. i'm not a huge fan of airbags, so i bought a series one.

How can you not be a fan of airbags ???. Sure they deploy at something like 600km/h for a split second (I could be wrong on this point, might be less), but it has to be better than hitting the hard plastic of a steering wheel or dash. I for one would prefer to be blasted in the face with a airbag then land on it reasonably softly as opposed to smashing my noggin on the steering wheel/dash.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Offline hecate

« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2007, 07:58PM »
Hi, just continuing in this thread as opposed to creating a new one, as this isn't all that related.

Alright, one o' the blueys I had a look at is a very nice looking model, everything seemed to be in order (I'm going to have it given the once over by a mechanic family friend before buying it, but from my little inspection, everything seemed good, sounded good, ran well, no noises or anything, timing chain guides removed, no body rust, all that jazz)
Only thing is, the leather on the auto selector (it's a Ti) and the leather on the steering wheel are in pretty bad condition, and the steering wheel is in such bad condition (I assume, as I could only see little bits o' it underneath the dodgy covering thats been tied down with some plastic coated wiry stuff) now I was wondering how much it'd cost to a. get a replacement gear selector and wheel (S1 Ti with cruise controls in the middle of the steering wheel down the bottom) b. get it recovered in leather or vinyl or something (dunno, has anyone had this done?) or c. any other suggestions?

http://carpoint.com.au/used-car/NISSAN/BLUEBIRD/Victoria/csn1167638.aspx?State=VIC
That's the one, have a look at the pic showing the inside for what's been stuck over the steering wheel. it's like a foam thing that's then had wire wrapped around it. Wasn't too bad to drive, and grippy, but I prefer thin, nice feeling steering wheels over that stuff i think.

*edit* changed 'removed timing chains' to 'removed timing chain guides' :P my bad ^_^
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2007, 02:13PM by hecate »

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2007, 08:02PM »
Might be able to get one from a wrecker somewhere in AUS mate... might not be in your state, but ring around.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline NIZ013

• post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2007, 11:58AM »
The leather wearing on the steering wheel and gear stick knob / selector is fairly common in the u13's. My steering wheel and gearstick knob were pretty badly worn and i never did find another one of either of them in better condition. I searched many wreckers trying to find. Good luck!!!

Hecate - That TI does look very tidy!!!

Offline NIZ013

• post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2007, 12:07PM »
How can you not be a fan of airbags ???. Sure they deploy at something like 600km/h for a split second (I could be wrong on this point, might be less), but it has to be better than hitting the hard plastic of a steering wheel or dash. I for one would prefer to be blasted in the face with a airbag then land on it reasonably softly as opposed to smashing my noggin on the steering wheel/dash.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Just never really thought much of them. Although I didn't really get a choice whether i had airbags or not in the 34...
But i guess in the case of my accident that i was in, in the bluey, that an airbag would've done me more harm than good. I was able to brace myself holding onto the steering wheel when the truck hit me. I'm sure if an airbag had've gone off it would've given me more whiplash.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2007, 12:26PM »
Off topic I know but...

Its not very wise to brace yourself by holding the steering wheel, i know in your accident it wasnt a front on impact as such so wouldnt be too bad. If your ever in a front on accident holding the steering wheel to brace yourself can do you a lot of damage.

Best driving i have seen with this in mind was an F1 driver that ran over the gutter heading for the tyre wall and just before he hit the wall he let the steering wheel go. Which basically stopped him breaking the bones in his hands/wrist/arm etc..
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
  • 5.7L LS1 oooh yeah baby!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 1, 2007, 10:50PM »
Regarding the wheel, easy, just get a replacement off a wreck.
I put a SSS Series 2 leather wheel on my LX Series 1 and got the cruise control and horn working quite easily (see sig for guide).
Of course, the airbag wasn't functional though (no airbag on Series 1 models).
Replacement wheel + airbag only cost me about $80 too.

Good choice btw. U13s are ace!

The difference in fuel economy between the autos and manuals is very marginal. Check the fuel economy thread.
The U13 Attesas Series 2 models did come with airbags I believe, it was just an option and not many of them exist or people know about it.
Kind of like how a lot people think that HUD was not on the U13 ATTESAs but it was a very expensive option.