Author Topic: U13 bluebird Head unit speakers  (Read 8285 times)

Offline u13_DrivingSchool

• antrx.com junior member
  • Learn 2 Drive in Style !
U13 bluebird Head unit speakers
« on: Apr 24, 2006, 11:25PM »
Hi guys .. new member just picked up car today 1994 SSS u13  everything very nice except at some point  certian revs there is a rattle can't pick it from outside or inside  anyone experinced this sound ... maybe drivers side near dash top ...

and has anyone changed factory speakers ? or removed head unit ( i have factory double cassette and CD)

sorry more questions ... is there a factory amp ?
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2006, 07:30PM by u13_DrivingSchool »
Learn 2 Drive in Style !

Offline LUP15

• antrx.com senior member
  • formerly DIGITOBI
Re: Slight rattle U13 bluebird Hmmmm and Head unit
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2006, 03:12PM »
dont own the aus spec u13, but with any engine there shouldnt b a rattle coming from it when u rev. r u sure its from the engine and not a loose part?

the amp is just the factory headunit. so if u get a new headunit, u can just run the speakers off that. if u want to get new speakers and the headunit isnt powerful enough, get an amp for them
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2006, 04:27PM »
Check your engine mounts around the engine.  If it seems to change upon revs, it sounds like the rattle is originating from the engine.  I had this happen to me.  I changed one engine mount and all the rattle I was trying to get rid of in my driver's door disappeared.  It fixed the problem but at a cost.
RNU12 Bluebird SSS Attesa
HNU13 Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd

Offline greenbird

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2006, 04:37PM »
Is the rattle coming from the engine or the interior of the car? You will have to work that out before anyone can help.
But, as your car is a series one, maybe the rattle is coming from the upper timing chain guides. If that is the case, it's nothing to worry about, just a matter of opening up the top of the motor and removing them. (no, i'm not joking).

Removing head units in a U13 is extremely easy. First you need to remove the plastic trim that surrounds the stereo and ash tray. There are 2 screws up above the stereo that you will see if you look upwards and another 2 screws underneath the gear selector boot / auto selector. The panel that surrounds the selector is just clipped in, just gently pry it up with a screwdriver. Once that is all removed you will see that the stereo is bolted onto a frame and then the frame is screwed into the centre console using 4 screws.
Speakers are easy also. The hardest bit (not very hard at all...) is removing the front door trims.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2006, 04:45PM »
There apparently are factory amplifiers on the back parcel shelf on some U13s.

I don't have a U13 so I don't know how true this is.

I believe there are 6" front speakers in all U13s, 6" rears in ATTESAs and 6x9" rears in FWDs. Some U13s have factory fitted front splits with a tweeter in the A-pillar.

At the moment you have a double-DIN head unit. If you get a single-DIN head unit, should be able to buy a pocket to go below your new head unit from Nissan.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2006, 06:06PM »
There apparently are factory amplifiers on the back parcel shelf on some U13s.

I don't have a U13 so I don't know how true this is.

I believe there are 6" front speakers in all U13s, 6" rears in ATTESAs and 6x9" rears in FWDs. Some U13s have factory fitted front splits with a tweeter in the A-pillar.

At the moment you have a double-DIN head unit. If you get a single-DIN head unit, should be able to buy a pocket to go below your new head unit from Nissan.

My bluey sss had factory amps mounted on the underside of the parcel shelf. Although they were crap and i ripped them out when i replaced the rear speakers. Mine also has the tweeter mounted in the A-pillar. I believe all the sss's came standard with 6 speaker stereo, which had the double din unit. I replaced my double din with my JVC head unit and bought a cd drawer thingy from autobarn to go in the bottom din.

Can't say i've experienced any rattles, apart from the reknown timing chain rattle on start up.

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2006, 07:56PM »
thanks guys for help ... i just worked out rear 6x9 speakers are not working now either  but thats prob an easy fix

the rattle comes from under the dash ...hmmm like if you hit under  dash on plastic under steering Colomn thats were rattle is .. is it easy to remove this cover ... havn't tried yet ....sorry i am used to working on commodores....

yes 6 speaker setup in Aussie U13 SSS with double din and splits .. factory unit sounds pretty good i just want to throw a sub and alpine setup in ...even though its spose to be a work car ( hehe) learn to drive in style i reckon
Learn 2 Drive in Style !

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2006, 10:38PM »
The U13 Attesa's came with 5"x7" speakers in the front doors not 6" speakers.  However there is enough room to put aftermarket 6" speakers without modify anything.  I have done this to mine.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2006, 11:44PM »
You say the rears aren't working? It sounds stupid but check the fader control on your head unit. If that's set to centre I'd say there's something up with your amps. Look for a blown fuse either in the fuse box, or on the amps themselves. Check to make sure the wiring hasn't been ripped off either the amps or speakers. If you've got an aftermarket head unit the amp remote wire may not have been hooked up. If you've got a factory head unit and everything else is OK I'd say your amps are dead.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2006, 12:48AM »
Rear speakers were crakling when i test  drove it ... then got a good price without getting fixed but now they stopped ,

hmm maybe fuse is out of rear amp
Learn 2 Drive in Style !

Offline greenbird

« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2006, 10:27AM »
The U13 Attesa's came with 5"x7" speakers in the front doors not 6" speakers.  However there is enough room to put aftermarket 6" speakers without modify anything.  I have done this to mine.

Same Deal with My U13 LX Counterpunch. 5x7's in the front doors and it had 6" round speakers in the rear. The SSS is definately different in the rear though.
I had 5.25" splits put in the front, as Strathfield told me that when they went to put a set of 6.5" splits in, they would have had to butcher the door a bit.
Perhaps they just had no idea what they were doing?
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels

« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2006, 10:00PM »
tracked down ... hmm passenger side rear speaker ... GONE  PFFFFT  had it .. got replace it , i know i am pretty good with stereo's but does anyone know factory specs of the amps in SSS U13  if they are capable of powering replacment 6x9 alpine perhaps rated at  250watt

or has anyone got the wiring diagram for the factory 6 speaker unit ....thanks
Learn 2 Drive in Style !

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 27, 2006, 12:10AM »
Yep, they will power your new speakers fine, but as always don't crank them up so far that they start distorting.

What do you want the wiring diagram for? I may be able to help you, I've never needed a wiring diagram when working with a sound system, I've always worked out the wires for myself.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #13 on: Apr 27, 2006, 12:15AM »
I had 5.25" splits put in the front, as Strathfield told me that when they went to put a set of 6.5" splits in, they would have had to butcher the door a bit.
Perhaps they just had no idea what they were doing?

Well it is Strathfield, they're not much different to Northfield in my experience.  Most are very inexperienced workers with lack of commonsense or logical reasoning.  I mean if I can manage to to fit a 6" speaker with 3 out of 4 screws in the originial holes without cutting anything, surely one would think they could do the same.  They could just be lazy of course..... ???

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 27, 2006, 12:50AM »
Well it is Strathfield, they're not much different to Northfield ... very inexperienced workers with lack of commonsense or logical reasoning... They could just be lazy of course..... ???

In my experience, there is no fail-safe company to go to for installation work. I've seen stuff from WOW, Autobarn, Strathfield and GCCS all with various things that weren't done right, everything from RCAs run alongside power cables, to speaker grilles not screwed on properly, to over rated fuses on power cable that was too small, to improperly crimped terminals, to bad grounds (paint not removed before grounding), to just plain crack-headed wiring.

In the SE Qld area Northfield, Maroochy Car Sound (I think it's now a Strathfield store) and GCCS have a fairly good rep for custom work, I'm probably a little biased but Strathfield @ Slacks Creek's installation jobs are tops :P

Finally my opinion: 6" speakers usually do fit in 5x7" holes, cutting usually isn't required but if it is it isn't by much and I'd do it anyway. Laziness doesn't really come into it because with the tools they have cutting the holes larger literally takes about two minutes. I'd hazard a guess that the reason you were sold 5" splits was they had a better profit margin and netted the salesman more commission.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2006, 12:53AM by Jono »
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

« Reply #15 on: Apr 28, 2006, 12:39AM »
its all good i never need wiring for previous cars .. done plenty of systems  but was thinking to leave factory amps and just fit new speakers ... just some factory systems are wired funny ... will track down gregorys guide maybe for future work ......get my speakers tomorrrow .. all good
Learn 2 Drive in Style !

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #16 on: Apr 28, 2006, 01:11AM »
Just run the speakers off the wiring that's already there. Cut the factory plug off, put a couple of crimp terminals on the ends and plug them onto your new speakers. In most late-model nissans the black wire is negative and the coloured is positive.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

« Reply #17 on: Apr 28, 2006, 07:20PM »
Slightly peeved .... it apears the rear amp is the faulty thing with  the wiring loom  with a broken wire in it  while driving it crackles .. movment of car  just got a nice new set of Kenwood speakers and tested them .. crackling ...damn .. might replace both amps with a 4 channel ...

Is it easy to remove Rear SPeakers ? do you have to remove the rear parcel shelf ? and seat
thanks
Learn 2 Drive in Style !

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: U13 bluebird Head unit speakers
« Reply #18 on: Apr 29, 2006, 02:02AM »
Have a look at the underside of the parcel shelf. If there are a few nuts around the speaker these may be holding the speaker grille down, but if there aren't you'll need to remove the parcel shelf. In most cars you need to take out the back seat, unbolt the child safety seat anchorage bolts/plugs, remove the third brake light, and then unclip the parcel shelf off the car.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

« Reply #19 on: Apr 29, 2006, 11:40AM »
thanks .. might be a task cause of the rear wiper on the SSS

someone else must of removed the rear factory 6x9 from SSS u13 i don't wanna remove anything else that i shouldn't
Learn 2 Drive in Style !

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2006, 07:08PM »
You shouldn't need to remove the wiper, Japanese cars are usually fairly easy to work on.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline cybersimon

• 96 u13 bluebird LX
« Reply #21 on: May 2, 2006, 04:33PM »
Hey Counterpunch, can you remember how to get to the speakers in the front doors? Does that whole plastic section on the bottom (including the map holder bit) just unclip?
I'd like to put some jaycar 6.5" speakers in my doors, not sure how easily they will fit though.

Offline greenbird

« Reply #22 on: May 2, 2006, 07:14PM »
Hey Counterpunch, can you remember how to get to the speakers in the front doors? Does that whole plastic section on the bottom (including the map holder bit) just unclip?
I'd like to put some jaycar 6.5" speakers in my doors, not sure how easily they will fit though.

Well, i'm not Counterpunch, but to get to the front speakers, you will need to remove the whole door trim. Remove all the screws you can find, then it unclips from the bottom and around the edges, then slide it up to unhook it from the top of the door next to the window.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels

Offline Damo

• new kid on the block
« Reply #23 on: Jun 12, 2006, 04:47PM »
good luck getting in 6.5 inch speakers to the front doors ive got aftermarket 5x7 splits in the front and they sound awesome and i obviously didnt need to cut anything away for them to fit it may be different in a sss but let me know if you can get them in without cutting anything away

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #24 on: Jul 25, 2006, 11:01AM »
What greenbird said is right.  I'm not sure if 6.5" will fit but I know that 6" do.  It's a nice fit without too much troubles or cutting up anything.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #25 on: Jul 26, 2006, 02:48AM »
6.5" are the same as 6". People just call them 6 inch speakers to save saying "-and-a-half" in every sentence when talking speaker sizes.

These days they usually have 16cm written on the box just to confuse people a little more ;D
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!