Author Topic: How do i wire RCA outputs into a stock head unit????  (Read 6265 times)

Offline coreyb317

• antrx.com junior member
Hey all...

I am tryin to intall a sub and amp into my new car. There are no RCA outputs from the head unit! I heard that you can wire in a high low converter, but also heard that the bass produced is not that good! Is this correct?

Whats the best way for me to wire this up ???

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
Re: How do i wire RCA outputs into a stock head unit????
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2009, 10:51AM »
Hmmmm. I'm no expert on the subject so i'd wait for jono/sticky to reply, but heres what I think:

Most amps have what they call speaker-level inputs - that is you can wire speaker wire directly into the amp it's self. Main disadvantages of this is the low voltage of the signal and the inability to control the output independantly from the other speakers.

Also almost all amps these days come with built in hi/lo pass filters so that's not a big issue. Only problem I can see is where to source the signal from (assuimg you have 4 speakers) I don't think you can just piggyback off the rear speaker signals (could be wrong).

If it were me I'd goto my nearest car audio shop and buy a new headunit (no more then $150 for a basic mp3/cd with a set of rca outputs)
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2009, 12:01PM by JelloBello »
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline coreyb317

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2009, 11:32AM »
Yeah i wish i could but its for a Dodge Calibur and putting in a new head unit would mean customising the housing etc... I just wanna throw a sub in!

Is there any way for me to wire in some rca outputs to the stock head unit wiring loom???

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2009, 11:58AM »
Now that I think about it, yes!

something like these: http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?24&cat=7

IIRC aerpro make these so drop into a supercheap, strathfeild etc. and get them to look it up in the catalouge for you.

EDIT: here you go - part numbers, http://www.aerpro.com.au/list.php?cat_no=07&cat_name=car%20audio%20accessories&cat_sno=147
        I'm still not sure if you can just piggy back off the rear speaker lines or not though.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2009, 12:01PM by JelloBello »
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline sxtacy

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2009, 12:05PM »
Prob wouldn't be that hard. I used one of those high low converter boxes on my car when I didn't have any RCA's. Just took it from the rear speakers, which I wasn't using. It sounded good too, enough bass to keep me happy.

So I reckon the box is just a few RCA's and some wire connections, Which means you could just solder some RCA's to the speaker wires (for a sub you only need  one though, mono. Then get a splitter if you want) And plug it in.

I don't know if the speaker you  took the signal from will still sound strong enough afterwards though. And I haven't done this at all. Just Speculating, so no guarantee it will work, but it's not like it's too hard to reverse. I say give it a shot, see what happens.

As an afterthought, Maybe there is something else in the box to boost the signal. but I sold mine so I can't have a look.
nothing.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2009, 01:13PM »
So I reckon the box is just a few RCA's and some wire connections, Which means you could just solder some RCA's to the speaker wires (for a sub you only need  one though, mono. Then get a splitter if you want) And plug it in.

I don't know if the speaker you  took the signal from will still sound strong enough afterwards though. And I haven't done this at all. Just Speculating, so no guarantee it will work, but it's not like it's too hard to reverse. I say give it a shot, see what happens.

As an afterthought, Maybe there is something else in the box to boost the signal. but I sold mine so I can't have a look.

Do Not Do This!

That would be the quickest and easiest way to blow up your amp. The converter box will change the signal from a high voltage speaker output to a line level rca signal. Much different from just wiring speakers to a rca plug.

That box jello suggested will work fine, and no problem running them off the rear speaker outs either.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline sxtacy

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2009, 01:22PM »
My bad. Thought there might be something else in the box  :-\, and one of my old amps had speaker wire inputs in them...

Anyway, just go get a converter box. easiest solution.
nothing.

Offline coreyb317

« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2009, 01:37PM »
Thanks for the help fellas... Will give it a shot n report back!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2009, 02:19PM »
If your amp has speaker level inputs use them, otherwise use a good quality line out converter.

You won't get great sound quality either way though.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!