Author Topic: i think i blew one of my tweeters!  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
i think i blew one of my tweeters!
« on: Sep 9, 2004, 04:03PM »
was listening to a new cd last night for maybe 45 minutes in my car and had it turned up pretty loud, just put my splits in a week ago and i'm very happy with them (jaycar response kevlar 6.5" splits). when i turned my music up this morning my left tweeter starts making this high pitched screach every so often. does this mean i've blown it? i had it on volume 24 last night and now anything over 20 makes this terrible noise.

few more q's... does this mean that these splits wont be able to handle the power of an amp. and secondly, i assume you can buy tweeters w/o a full set of component speakers. will i be able to use a different set of tweeters (better quality) with my current splits. if so any suggestions on what to get?

thanks in advance

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
Re: i think i blew one of my tweeters!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 9, 2004, 06:45PM »
Generally when tweeters blow they just go silent, because the fine wire using in the voice coil winding fries.  Yours sounds like either the suspension is torn or whatever is driving it is cactus.  Try swapping the speakers over and see if the dodgy one still screeches at 20.  Don't turn it up too loud, don't want both shot :)
209rwkW stock ... yes, it's a U12!!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: i think i blew one of my tweeters!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 9, 2004, 10:24PM »
If your splits arnt all that old id be taking them back and asking why this has happened. Not sure if its the same with your splits but im my crossover with my splits there is a polyswitch which basically will blow before any damage is done to your tweeters. Id be finding out if your crossover has polyswitchs and if it does id take them back and ask them about it and let them know your not too happy with spending the money only for them to stop working after a week of use.

My 2 c's

Cheers
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"