Author Topic: Transmission Oil Cooler  (Read 1750 times)

Offline bluesr20

• antrx.com junior member
Transmission Oil Cooler
« on: Apr 1, 2006, 08:48PM »
I've only just become a U13 Attessa owner and 'cause I intend to drive it hard, I want to do some preventative maintenance.

First on my list is to install a transmission oil cooler.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the good / bad of doing this mod.

Ideas on any other preventative mods would also be appreciated.

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
Re: Transmission Oil Cooler
« Reply #1 on: Apr 5, 2006, 08:35PM »
I don't imagine there is any down side to fitting a trans cooler. It's just a bit of a protective measure.
Just do it!
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline LUP15

• antrx.com senior member
  • formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #2 on: Apr 5, 2006, 08:52PM »
unless u modified ur car, i dont really think getting a transmission cooler is gonna be much good... unless u got money to burn or gonna be doing track work...

id get an oil cooler before transmission cooler... transmission uses pretty heavy weight oil.... plus with our boxes its better for the oil to be warm so it gets into all the bits. think phreeky busted a newly made ppg gearset cause the oil didnt get where it was suppose to.

what mods have u done?
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline Joczy

• antrx.com junkie
  • feed me guiness
« Reply #3 on: Apr 5, 2006, 09:29PM »
Id refer a transmission oil cooler for an automatic transmission. if u reduce the ATF temperature the oil will last longer in a transmission. i have one in my car and the difference was substantial.. alot smoother and crisp gear changes. alot of cars have a transmission cooler as a unit in the radiator where the coolant is the actual cooler and the atf flows thru in a tank. coolant being at around 90'C at operating temp will cool atf quite well which can run up to 160'C. a separate transmission cooler is added say a frount mount cooler it will reduce the Auto fluids temp even more.

id say do it as preventative, but if its a manual gearbox dont even think about it, anyhow if its manual u will have to source a pump to get the oil moving as well.

Engine oil cooler, id say get one of ur doing some serious track work, street driving i wouldnt even look at it unless ur engine is highly modified.   
"It's darkest before dawn so if u want to steel ur neighbours newspaper thens the time to do it"

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 5, 2006, 10:33PM »
I agree with Joczy, transmission coolers are well worth it if you're doing any sort of heavy driving.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline bluesr20

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #5 on: Apr 6, 2006, 09:56PM »
Thanks for the input gents.
The car is going to be a daily driver, so spending the $300 (supply and fit) for the cooler is an investment I'm prepared to live with.  The previous owner spent $3.5K (seems way expensive) getting the tranny rebuilt by B.B.E. Automatics about 18 months ago and I want to protect that investment.
They're going to by pass the radiator, thus having the engine and tranny running cooler.
« Last Edit: Apr 6, 2006, 10:20PM by bluesr20 »