Author Topic: 92 stanza swap  (Read 3139 times)

Offline 92Stanz

• antrx.com junior member
92 stanza swap
« on: Oct 2, 2008, 07:36AM »
Hey everyone, i'm swapping my ka24e automatic out for a ka24de 5 speed. Currently i'm tracking down the engine, there's a local junkyard here that has some 93-97 altimas, so i'm probably going to snatch that, which as far as I know the ka mounts should be the same right? Also, would a 97 b&m short throw shifter fit in the stanza? I'd imagine it's going to take a little custom fab, possibly. If anyone can chime in that's done a dual cam swap or automatic to 5 speed swap could chime in, it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: 92 stanza swap
« Reply #1 on: Oct 2, 2008, 11:18AM »
colby is  the guy to talk to about ka24de swaps, he has done the swap in his u12 trx and knows the traps you might come up against.

for the most painless swap however, you need to get the wiring loom and ecu from the u13 as well. the wiring loom can from the ka24e can be adapted but its painful, apparently the ecu can also be used from the ka24e but it would mean a custom chip to get the car running.

as far as short shifters go, i am pretty sure the 97 altima is the usdm 2nd gen altima.. i might be wrong, but if it is, the 2nd gen shifter i dont believe fits. you need the shifter from the 1st gen (u13)

the u13 shifter fits the u12 and many other early 90's nissans, but it makes the shift too short for some people's liking (others love it though)

if you know someone that has a welder, the cheapest and also most user friendly option when it comes to usability is modifying the standard shifter by lengthening the section below the pivot point slightly. just make sure you dont skip on the welds as this area is under a lot of force while going for a 'spirited' drive. i snapped my modified short shifter giving the car a squirt at the lights and had to be towed home.

the reason the modified standard shifter is more user friendly is because if you have the patience to go through a bit of trial and error, you can get a shift length that you are really comfortable with rather than it being either too short or still too long.

of course, another option is to buy a short shifter and then shorten the bit below the pivot point slightly, but its all the same deal :)

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #2 on: Oct 2, 2008, 02:44PM »
just briefly, on the twin cam engine swap.  Its reasonably straitforward, gear box is near enough identical to the U12.  The engine uses the same mounts, so only really need to adjust intake pipes, exhaust, and radiator gear.  Then the electrical can be a bit tricky, there are a few nasty plugs to change, but if you go ahead with it I can help out with what wire goes where.  I did it all in 3 weekends.

Most frustrating part of your swap will be getting the damn manual pedal in behind everything under dash.

Offline 92Stanz

« Reply #3 on: Oct 3, 2008, 12:22PM »
colby is  the guy to talk to about ka24de swaps, he has done the swap in his u12 trx and knows the traps you might come up against.

for the most painless swap however, you need to get the wiring loom and ecu from the u13 as well. the wiring loom can from the ka24e can be adapted but its painful, apparently the ecu can also be used from the ka24e but it would mean a custom chip to get the car running.

as far as short shifters go, i am pretty sure the 97 altima is the usdm 2nd gen altima.. i might be wrong, but if it is, the 2nd gen shifter i dont believe fits. you need the shifter from the 1st gen (u13)

the u13 shifter fits the u12 and many other early 90's nissans, but it makes the shift too short for some people's liking (others love it though)

if you know someone that has a welder, the cheapest and also most user friendly option when it comes to usability is modifying the standard shifter by lengthening the section below the pivot point slightly. just make sure you dont skip on the welds as this area is under a lot of force while going for a 'spirited' drive. i snapped my modified short shifter giving the car a squirt at the lights and had to be towed home.

the reason the modified standard shifter is more user friendly is because if you have the patience to go through a bit of trial and error, you can get a shift length that you are really comfortable with rather than it being either too short or still too long.

of course, another option is to buy a short shifter and then shorten the bit below the pivot point slightly, but its all the same deal :)

I found a guy on another forums parting out his 97 dual cam altima, a 97 is a u13 right? I should be able to use the loom and ecu from that as well as his 5 speed parts hopefully? Or do I need to look for an earlier year?

just briefly, on the twin cam engine swap.  Its reasonably straitforward, gear box is near enough identical to the U12.  The engine uses the same mounts, so only really need to adjust intake pipes, exhaust, and radiator gear.  Then the electrical can be a bit tricky, there are a few nasty plugs to change, but if you go ahead with it I can help out with what wire goes where.  I did it all in 3 weekends.

Most frustrating part of your swap will be getting the damn manual pedal in behind everything under dash.

Lol found my go to guy. I'm probably going to get started with this project Saturday, I haven't bought any parts yet but i'm going to start tearing it down. I'll take pictures as I go, and if you could just throw me some hints here and there, i'd love u long time :D

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #4 on: Oct 3, 2008, 01:21PM »
i think there was a model changeover in the usa, but i'm not 100% on that being an aussie lol.

actually i was wrong.. 98 was the change over to the 2nd gen, the 97 is what you're after.. so yes, its shifter will work for you.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline 92Stanz

« Reply #5 on: Oct 3, 2008, 01:45PM »
i think there was a model changeover in the usa, but i'm not 100% on that being an aussie lol.

actually i was wrong.. 98 was the change over to the 2nd gen, the 97 is what you're after.. so yes, its shifter will work for you.

Very nice, the guy is finding out how much shipping is, so i'm going to snatch as much 5 speed stuff off him as I can..

Offline 92Stanz

« Reply #6 on: Oct 4, 2008, 03:06PM »
Hey, Colby, can I get a complete parts list for the 5 speed conversion? Just trying not to miss anything.

Offline 92Stanz

« Reply #7 on: Oct 5, 2008, 05:22AM »

Offline 92Stanz

« Reply #8 on: Oct 5, 2008, 06:32AM »
I was supposed to go pick up the car today, but I had to go pay a ticket and get my license reinstated, but apparently the court house is closed on Saturdays lol.. Getting all of that stuff straightened out on Monday, then bringing the to my friends to embark on this journey haha. I also talked to the kid with the u13 5 speed alti today, he wants 500 for his tranny+all the other 5 speed components. Probably going to be something like 650-750 shipped, but i'm getting a b&m short throw shifter, and aftermarket clutch+flywheel out of it, which just about makes the deal worth it. I'll post some pictures up on Monday.

Offline 92Stanz

« Reply #9 on: Oct 7, 2008, 11:20AM »
Picked up the car today, the knocking single cam managed to make it 60 miles to my house which I was happy about lol. It's been raining all night so I haven't gotten to do anything with it yet, i'll throw some pictures up tomorrow.

Offline 92Stanz

« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2008, 01:37PM »
Well sorry about the super delayed response, i've had alot going on lately.

Daylight savings sucks, which has limited me to working on the car Saturdays and Sundays because it's dark by the time I get off of work on the weekdays. Just got the car on stands this past Sunday so I can start on the tranny as i've finished prepping the motor.

As you can see, the windshield is pretty shot, and the front/rear bumpers are hideous, luckily the stock stanza bumpers are ugly and plain so they would have been replaced anyways. Other than that, the body is in good shape along with the paint.

I'll take some more pics tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2008, 01:40PM by 92Stanz »