Author Topic: Get The T.I Back On The Road Finally!! LoL (Prev:Clutch/Flywheel Questions)  (Read 8823 times)

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
Hey guys what's goin on?

Question for you, I'm probably going to get the Heavy Duty X-Clutch from the Antrx shop and was looking to get a lightened flywheel as well.

I have looked around and it seems too light a clutch isn't that good. I have searched to source them and found alot in the U.S.

Here are some to name a few....

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/transmission-flywheels-c-4257_4290.html

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/faq/faq_index.htm

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/drivetrain.html

It seems alot drop down to around 4.7 kg  :o

Than I saw that Xtreme are selling Chromoly ones as well.

The JUN ones looks sick as so just thought I would ask which one people would recommend in terms of weight/experience etc??

I'm assuming that they would fit the Clutch kit fine, just wanted to ask, and this is probably more so for Noss, does the Clutch Kit include everything just to handover to the Mechanic to install?

While I'm at it, I am going to change the rear engine seal but should I change the throwout bearing for good measure... and anyone got a good price on them :)

Cheers guys, back to "working hard" ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2008, 09:09PM by Habib86 »
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
  • It's ATTESA time baby!!!
Re: Flywheel, Clutch Questions :)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:23PM »
throw out bearing usually comes in a clutch kit.

Chris was running one of those JUN flywheels, maybe ask him about it.

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:54PM »
Cheers man for the help.

Anyone able to hook up a brother with a Chromoly Jun Flywheel?

Oh, btw forgot to mention. It was last weekend driving towards Coast and as the Gateway and M1 merge, just bumper to bumper traffic.

Up ahead two cars smashed but were very far from each other ( I think white Suzuki and Commodore, Commodore was further).

Anyways stuck in traffic thinking, man if someone else crashes/breaks down, well it sucks to be them as the traffic would be worse for everyone(not that the broken down car would go anywhere) and you would get the usual Bogan stare like you purposely broke down when the car in front of me moves ahead so I let the clutch go to drive..... and you what bloody happens...

I look down and see the clutch is still depressed.... :o :o, so I kicked it and it popped out.

So yeah as you can tell I need new clutch and lubrication.... for the pedal ya stooges.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2008, 09:36PM by Habib86 »
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:56PM »
The sticky clutch could be crap in the hydraulic system, or a rusty master cylinder bore.

If you're getting a mechanic to fit the clutch get them to go over the hydraulics as well.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 1, 2008, 08:54PM »
Yeah cheers man.  8)

Offline Pringles

• antrx.com baked not fried
  • post whore
  • ;-) check me out !
« Reply #5 on: Feb 2, 2008, 11:33AM »
the clutch kits purchased through the antrx shop include

Clutch disk
Clutch Pressure Plate
Through out Bearing

generally this is all you need to change a clutch apart from oils and lubes, BUT....

you will need to either replace or machine your flywheel, and for the love of god while you've got your gearbox, clutch,  presure plate, flywheel removed.... replace the 5 dollar seal as its alot easyer than pulling everything off down the track to do it!
Check out the Brown Couch !
the ole Nissan caught a cold... puachtuuu..!
i lost a testicle while shaving my scrotum
Jono wasn't here!

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Feb 2, 2008, 12:56PM »
I'd go even lighter than the JUN flywheel, not by alot, but I felt it can go a little lighter. But none the less, it was fkn awesome.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Pringles

• antrx.com baked not fried
  • post whore
  • ;-) check me out !
« Reply #7 on: Feb 2, 2008, 08:35PM »
i'll grab some quote on lightened flywheels from xclutch next week
Check out the Brown Couch !
the ole Nissan caught a cold... puachtuuu..!
i lost a testicle while shaving my scrotum
Jono wasn't here!

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 2, 2008, 08:36PM »
Well, lol funny story today. I pulled of the Mt-Gravatt Exit off the Motorway and reached the lights and the pedal was at the floor even with my foot off. So I kicked it and the car stalled. Than started it and the clutch slipped.... :o

Couldn't get the car going, it was in first and wouldn't go. A nice guy in a Lexus pulled over and helped me push the car while I waited for the RACQ to arrive.

LOL at the "Wouldn't be without it" signature on the truck.  ;D

I actually wasn't P@#$@D off surprisingly. It was trippy because I was thinking just before what would happen if I had the luck of breaking down and well, it happened. Lol. Its more trippy because I ordered the X-Clutch a few days ago and now the clutch has gone kaput.

What was random was the highway tow truck came and towed me 1min down to a Freedom Fuels to be towed by another truck who did the local area as the highway truck... well only does the highway. LOL, and I broke down 3 min away.  ;)

So now gotta wait for the clutch and get the car towed to the mechanic near me who will do it. It sucks because I wanted to get the JUN Flywheel and have it chucked on as it would be cheaper than doing it later. Might wait for now because I got a AU I can drive and only bus it to uni so we'll see eh.

The Mechanic quoted around $368 for clutch and rear seal and if I provide new driveshafts (with the CV joints etc) add another $147. My mates have gone to this place before and have seen the workmanship, very very thorough and it is literally about 5 min away so no biggie of a drive... cough cough towtruck driving...

And was getting all the seals replaced for good measure as my rear one is leaking.

BTW sorry the pics are a bit hazy, the N95 had dust on it.

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 2, 2008, 08:38PM »
BTW, what do you think of my Hecktic T.I with Fully Sick 14 inch rims.... ;D ;D

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #10 on: Feb 3, 2008, 07:47PM »
Superhatch FTW!!! :D
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 3, 2008, 11:47AM »

Got my JUN Flywheel today....  :) A few more parts I'm gonna get than get it all chucked in.

8) 8)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Mar 3, 2008, 12:18PM »
 ;D
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #13 on: Mar 3, 2008, 01:44PM »
How much did it end up setting you back?

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 3, 2008, 09:41PM »
How much did it end up setting you back?

The cost including postage was $518.85 USD. Add another $100 USD something for 3-4 Express post. I opted for the regular postage which only took like a week (which was part of the original price as the flywheel is only $400 and something USD)

Wire Transfer payment was the only way to pay so either through the Bank (mine charges another $30 but takes like up 5 days to clear) or Western Union ($50 Charge- But it takes only 30 mins to send the money).

All up $650-80 AUSD or around that which may seem steep but meh, thought I would do it as it not exactly cheap to chuck one in later.

Mind you the AUS Dollar is doing ok so didn't lose too much in the currency conversion.

The guy I emailed who's named Glenn, was very helpful.

Maybe a group buy.... ::) Not that would benefit me as I already have the flywheel :)

But if there is enough interest I may ask Glenn what kind of price he maybe able to get and than maybe pass it on to one of the moderators to handle seeing that no one has bought stuff off me... and my username is Habib.... :P

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 3, 2008, 09:46PM »
Here is the site that I got it from, I found it awhile ago than Noss reminded me of it.

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/performance/jun/ltflywheel.htm

Email Glenn Kowta for enquiries (just remember being in the U.S it make take a day or so to reply).

I guess than this has become maybe a project thread eh... Project get the Superhatch back on the road....  ::)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Mar 4, 2008, 06:02PM »
mm, I found a place to get them way cheaper than that but yeah...not bad, I guess you were in a rush.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #17 on: Jun 23, 2008, 04:40PM »
habib86/chris, your flywheels are originally listed as for KA24E/DE 240SX's (S13 & S14) correct?

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #18 on: Jun 23, 2008, 07:42PM »
habib86/chris, your flywheels are originally listed as for KA24E/DE 240SX's (S13 & S14) correct?

Yeah if I recall correctly that listing you mentioned is correct.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #19 on: Jun 23, 2008, 09:39PM »
Yup

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #20 on: Jun 24, 2008, 10:00AM »
Thanks guys, probably going to pickup a Fidanza alloy version soon (with replaceable steel insert for clutch face).

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
FYI... After months of lobbying by both sides... well no just was lazy lol, I have started the wheels of motion to get my Superhatch back on the road. Hence the thread title change.  :)

Updates With Pics:

JUN LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL/HD X-CLUTCH

PURPLE FTMFW!!!

DODGY WELDING OF THE HEADERS TO EXHAUST... MAYBE SAME GUY LOW GLI WENT TO... LOL

Not long to go, while I'm at it I'm having the timing chain replaced along with other stuff (all radiator hoses/belts/water pump etc etc) along with full flush of fluids blah blah.

Also saw that the rear engine mount had cracked... :o... so changing that as well... must be from all those 6500 launches... ::).

Will Keep you posted.

P.S Yes before you ask I made sure I got new Flywheel Bolts (Nissan Genuine).

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
That part of the header is actually a [i seem to suffer from tourettes] to weld...

did you do a simple build up while the motor was out of the car?

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
That part of the header is actually a [i seem to suffer from tourettes] to weld...

Oh tru...lol. It just made me laugh out loud when I saw it.

did you do a simple build up while the motor was out of the car?

Negative on that... for now... More so just getting it all running sweet, than actually do my own research/slowly acquire good quality parts etc etc than get work the engine later.  8)
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2008, 10:00PM by Habib86 »

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
Well Picked up my car yesterday... about farkin time too eh.

Heres a brief rundown of what was done. I was gonna put it in dot point but it would take too much space.

Timing Chain, clutch, flywheel, flywheel bolts, entire engine resealed including (and he didn't charge me extra for this.... :o) headgasket as the old one was on its way out. Water pump, all radiator hoses, all belts, clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder (the old one was rust as.. Thanks Jono  ;) ), AC Condensor, AC Refridgerant, O rings, Spark Plugs/Leads, all fluids were replaced/flushed (coolant, brake, engine oil, gear box oil etc) and had the whole engine/bay degreased and clean. Also had the driveshafts replaced as well. Pretty much the entire engine was worked on. All filters excepting POD were replaced as well.

The only thing that will need replacing but isn't necessary is the steering rack but I saw it was in alright condition for now, just the rubber boots look tired but works fine.

Not much of a "Brief" but meh I study law, where lawyers are taught that  10,000 word Document is a brief... ::)

Now how does the car run??

Firstly the Clutch/Flywheel.

I cannot stress how much the HD X-Clutch feels. IT IS FARKIN AWESOME It clamps so well and the car actually feels like, "More power at the wheels". That probably sounds weird but that's how I can describe it. I was told that the push rod maybe too short and may feel like that clutch is slightly depressed and it did feel like that originally but after driving it a bit, it feels fine... though may need a 2nd opinion from Noss eh...  ;)

Now with the Lightened Flywheel. Well too be honest when I first drove it, the car feels like (Off the mark) sort of sluggish to respond and I can really now notice the flatspot before 2700rpm where as before I couldn't. Kind of lag in a Turbo Car which doesn't feel that great considering I remember what it was like before and uphills feels different, sort of slugish.

But that aside, once the revs build up, the car seems to respond alot better and after leaving it parked overnight than driving it this morning, doesn't seem as "bad" as before, I guess when you first get the car back your kinda "by the seat" in criticsim.

Overall, HD clutch/Jun lightened flywheel = awesome drive (once you get used to it).

Finally having AIR Con in the car (never really needed it though but it nice especially when it rains). Man it is farkin cold, the climate control works really really well. Can't stress that enough eh.

Thank you so much Noss/Pringles for helping me get the clutch ASAP (even though the car was parked for like 6 months in my garage  :P ). Thanks to all for the advice as well, Chris n all.

Things to do.

Fit return spring, change shifter bush. Right now it is stiff, but am used to it.

My Drivers Door Window lifts up when your shutting it. Mechanic looked at it, regulators n all are fine. He showed me the door seals are swollen so when the window goes up, it rubs the seals and lifts up. Have to get seals replaced.

Roof weather strips need replacing. Both are brittle but right one has like a clip retainer near the hatch back which has gone MIA so when it buckets rain, a bit of moisture/water goes into the boot somehow.
So will get that replaced.

Fix the wiper linkage. May have to charge up the battery as it was flat, mechanic did charge it up but feels a bit sluggish to crank so may charge it, sell and get an Optima YellowTop (anyone can get a brother one for cheap... ;D).

That's it for now.. will be posting new threads soon.  8)

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
  • It's ATTESA time baby!!!
With your window, i had the same problem and just scraped off the old glue that connects to the glass and re-glued it. Has been fine since.

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
Aiight will try that as well. But yeah did see the rubber is out of warp as well so we'll see but thanks Bud for the heads up...  :)

Offline xxxx

• antrx.com junkie
nice, the car should be running sweet after all of that! i wouldnt mind doing a big freshen up like this on my car...if only i had the $!

Noss you look like a cereal killer ;D

well not our fault that saantrx is gay as

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
try some silicone spray on your door rubbers, i find it works a treat.
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
no problem mate! glad to see its running fine.

with the hd x clutch, its the same one i had in my rebuilt KA, It is awesome, who said the rod is too short? If thats the case it wouldn't be engaging/disengaging correctly.. by the sounds of it, your fine.

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
nice, the car should be running sweet after all of that! i wouldnt mind doing a big freshen up like this on my car...if only i had the $!

You know the black Uranium Market is booming.... ::)

try some silicone spray on your door rubbers, i find it works a treat.

Yeah done that, I have enough lube on the doors to make Jemma Jameson Blush... The Drivers Door still lifts up and saw exactly at what points the seals grip the window so will be getting that changed.

no problem mate! glad to see its running fine.

with the hd x clutch, its the same one i had in my rebuilt KA, It is awesome, who said the rod is too short? If thats the case it wouldn't be engaging/disengaging correctly.. by the sounds of it, your fine.

A friends friends brothers uncles sisters mother's long lost half cousin told me...  ::). Nah it was just word to wise that being aftermarket may find the rod is too short but it seems fine.

The only thing I remember prior is that blue smoke used to come out of the exhaust at full throttle. Haven't noticed that lately but what I did notice when I started it is that the TechTom told me it was running rich. This was on startup though and have heard cars tend to run more rich when cold than gradually goes away. Will check the Oxy sensor, air flow meter etc later not much of a drama at the moment though.

What I wanted to know is that dodgy welding pic of my headers has a slight leak, would that be of grave concern?? I am getting a new exhaust down the track anyways..  8)