Author Topic: Coolant Temperature Sensor Location  (Read 2948 times)

Offline CPenguin

• antrx.com junior member
Coolant Temperature Sensor Location
« on: Apr 28, 2007, 11:06PM »
Hey everybody,

Whilst Noss was installing my stage 3 chip (more to come on the results but basically the part of my brain that controls excitement exploded on the drive home) he mentioned that my poor (shit) fuel economy could be due to a faulty Coolant Temperature Sensor.

Refering to the Corsair manual available for download on these forums I couldn't find anything about the sensor at all. Is it possible that they would have called it a Water Temperature Sensor? If not could anyone point me in the right direction to finding this little fella and possible the correct voltage across it?

Thanks in advance,

~Reece

P.S Just ran a diagnostic check on the ECU and got back a 55 - System Pass code. Does this relate?
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2007, 11:29PM by CPenguin »

Offline dafurn

• antrx.com full member
Re: Coolant Temperature Sensor Location
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2007, 10:54AM »
Hi i recently had problems with my sensor and it was stopping the thermo fans from turning on. when i changed it over i found that it did improve my fuel economy. As for finding it on a KA24 it should be on top of the inlet manifold look just past the oil cap right near were the top radiator hose connects.
heres a pic
http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=13228.0;topicseen

if its a CA20 its bout the same spot just not on the top of the manifold its the back side of it.

The fault code for the tempsensor is 13 as for voltages betwen the connector terminals should be five volts and the resistance of the sensors should be 2.1-2.9 k/ohms at 20 degrees Celsius
               0.3-0.33 k/ohms at 80 degrees Celsius

anyway hope this helps

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2007, 12:09PM »
haha yep, a link to the how to i created last night lol.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline CPenguin

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2007, 03:04PM »
Thanks so far guys,

Curiouser and curious, I am not getting a fault code so perhaps it is operating but not efficiently? Or it could be something else entirely. I plan on making it a little project of mine to get the fuel economy fixed up to acceptable levels (I did up a list last night), it will be funded by petrol I don't have to buy in the future.

I know this is off topic somewhat, but what is the the doober to the left of this temp sensor? Also could an O2 sensor be to blame?

~Reece

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2007, 05:03PM »
The 'doober' would be the sender for the gauge on your dash.

As you said the temperature sensor can be faulty while not triggering a fault code.

Fault code 55 is the code for all clear.

The o2 sensor could be faulty, I think they're about $60 new from Repco or somewhere similar.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline CPenguin

« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2007, 09:36PM »
Alright, I have bought a new O2 sensor from Repco for about $60 and a new Coolant Temperature Sensor for $25 from Autobarn.

It's still too soon to give my exact results on the chip but it does appear to be struggling to increase fuel economy, if only a little so far. However this is the first change I've had for 1.5 years in a positive direction so I am savouring the small saving.

I will install my new sensors tomorrow and then re-fill. My car also pulls to the left and has a very slow leak in the front right tyre. After pay day I plan on taking it down and having the tyre patched up (about $20 from Bob Jane T-Mart). Would any one NOT recommend having a wheel alignment done at the same time?

~Reece

P.S Well aware this has gone massively off topic.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2007, 10:49PM »
Reece, poor tyre pressures will greatly effect your fuel economy as well mate... bad alignment also effects it!
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #7 on: May 1, 2007, 07:59PM »
I got about 50 km more out of a tank after a wheel alignment.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #8 on: May 2, 2007, 07:56PM »
and a new Coolant Temperature Sensor for $25 from Autobarn.

I will install my new sensors tomorrow and then re-fill.

Not saying this will happen but, When I replaced my coolant temp sensor the sensor 'shaft' was too long for the hole (assuming you bought a aftermarket sensor) where it goes in top of the intake manifold and it cracked the manifold before it was even in all the way. I put this down to the aftermarket sensor being a different size to the genuine sensor. I got the intake welded up for $100 and put a genuine sensor in and it fitted perfectly.

Like I said it might not happen to you but then again it might so just be careful, Also the sensor was calibrated wrong. It said the car was overheating when the coolant was only 88 degrees.