Author Topic: Removing gearbox  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Burga

• antrx.com junior member
Removing gearbox
« on: Apr 3, 2010, 06:08PM »
Hi guys, I've been trying to take my gearbox off, however the cross member is in the way of the bolts on the bottom. How the hell do I get at these?

There seems to be a bit of a lip on the engine side so a spanner wont fit..

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: Removing gearbox
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3, 2010, 06:45PM »
Support the engine and drop the crossmember. Alternate is to raise the engine until you can get at the bolts, it's the harder option of the two.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Burga

« Reply #2 on: Apr 3, 2010, 07:11PM »
Support the engine and drop the crossmember. Alternate is to raise the engine until you can get at the bolts, it's the harder option of the two.

:(

Was hoping to not have to drop it. I've seen pics and articles on here where the cross member is still attached. How the hell did they get in there?

I've tried raising the engine a bit with a bit of wood.. I could almost get in there, but I reckon I'd need another cm or so clearance. I havent yet taken off the gearbox mount. Will this help?

Thanks for the replies.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Apr 3, 2010, 11:39PM »
Gearbox mount needs to be undone / removed. I assume you have already removed the driveshafts too?

Offline Burga

« Reply #4 on: Apr 4, 2010, 12:21AM »
Gearbox mount needs to be undone / removed. I assume you have already removed the driveshafts too?

Ok, makes sense. Thanks SSS.

Do both drive shafts need to be removed? I've taken the LHS out, but was a pain since I dont have a 36 mm socket to remove the shaft from the knuckle..

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #5 on: Apr 4, 2010, 08:33AM »
you can remove the left shaft by just undoing the suspension stut and the stearing arm... but bit late for that now.

To do the other side, take off the backet holding the bearing at the rear of the engine (just so its not attached to engine) then undo the strut and steering from the hub, you should be able to get enough movement to slip the whole shaft out.

Offline Burga

« Reply #6 on: Apr 4, 2010, 11:29AM »
you can remove the left shaft by just undoing the suspension stut and the stearing arm... but bit late for that now.

To do the other side, take off the backet holding the bearing at the rear of the engine (just so its not attached to engine) then undo the strut and steering from the hub, you should be able to get enough movement to slip the whole shaft out.

Yeah I've removed the left hand side shaft by taking out the whole knuckle etc. Will have to do the same for the RHS too I guess.

Thanks again guys.

Offline Burga

« Reply #7 on: Apr 4, 2010, 08:41PM »
Ok I managed to get the sucker off. Taking off the front gearbox mount made it heaps easier.. Just got the jack in there and jacked it up till there was enough room between the cross member and the box. The spanner went in no worries. There's a little notch in the bottom which helps a bit. RHS shaft came out easy with a second pair of hands holding the knuckle/rotor and first bit of the shaft.

There seems to be a bit of oil mixed with dust in the bottom of the housing, and around the sides/back of the flywheel. Haven't got the flywheel off yet to see, but wondering if the rear seal is shagged. There's a bit of oil running around the lip of the sump too. Would I be right in assuming that you need to drain the oil to replace the seal?

Thanks again for the help guys.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 6, 2010, 04:15PM »
No you don't need to drain the oil.

From memory there's an alloy seal carrier that bolts onto the back of the block. Undo it and take it out to work on it, then bolt it back in when you're done. This does expose the sump so stuff a rag in there to stop any stray bolts or dirt from falling in.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Burga

« Reply #9 on: Apr 7, 2010, 01:08AM »
I've put the new seal in. All seems good. Just need to put it all back together now.  ;D