Author Topic: life of front tires?  (Read 2145 times)

Offline bungs

• post whore
life of front tires?
« on: Mar 21, 2003, 11:02AM »
after how many km's is a resonable life for the front tires in a pintara? i've had mine on for close to 17,000 and the inner of both front wheels are worn down all the way to the centre of the tire. I have no LSD so it would make sense if only the left tire was bald but both of them are worn down exactly the same..

The thing is that i have plenty of tread on the outer of the wheel, and these are no shit tires - kelly somethings that are $105 each.

i've tried googling for this, not specifically for a pintara but any front wheel drive car and found jack shit ::)

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
Re:life of front tires?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2003, 12:08PM »
Sounds like your wheel balance is out... Get the front end aligned when u get new tires.
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

shaunk

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2003, 02:05PM »
They're not Kelly Chargers are they?

Possibly the worst tyre I have come across, no grip, shit wear, etc.  I don't rate them at all.

Offline NOFX

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2003, 04:46PM »
yeah, u must have too much negative camber on the front, causing uneven wear, like in a race car, ur tyre gives u best performance and wear when it wears evenly, on some occasions a race car will setup with un even wear to give grip in a particular situation, like a fast sweeping corner, or very slow corners, but in general even wear is most desirable, especially on a road car
The car developed an electrical problem after the conrod knocked the distributor off

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2003, 04:53PM »
Speaking of good/shite tyres...  I have 205/55/15... can anybody suggest some good wet weather tyres?? I get wheel spin all over the place  ::)  I used to have vredestein sportrac on the front which were awesome in the dry, ok in the wet... can't remember what's on there at the moment, but they're pretty crap in the wet.  Any suggestions?
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

mr azz

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2003, 05:16PM »
my old man run 205/55 r15's on his 626,
he runs a yokohama tyre 'decibel' i think is the series
they make next to no noise and grip very well in the wet and the dry.
and the 626 has no problems handing 5.0 commodores their own ass's off the lights, believe me or not i dont really care :P

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2003, 12:34AM »
yeah they are kelly chargers and yeah i agree their shit.
i've just come back from having a little fun  ;D seeing as i'm getting the tires replaced tomorrow ( or today i should say)

had a bit too much fun though cause the ground cable from my amp got ripped out 4 times ::)

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2003, 10:33AM »
Tsk. tsk Chris!!

It doesn't sound like you rotate your tyres. You should rotate them every 5000k ie. F.L. to R.R. R.L to F.R. and vice versa. Or if you have directional tyres like mine (G-grids) swap left side and right side tyres.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2003, 10:48AM »
i know, i know.. next time i should rotate them eh? oh well.

i ended up going to jap motorsport in windsor gardens and picked up some  dunlops with 99.99% tread for $85 the pair.