Author Topic: problems @ low revs  (Read 2996 times)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
problems @ low revs
« on: Jan 21, 2003, 10:22AM »
on the weekend i ahd some problems with my car, when i am idling at a set of lights, and then put my foot on the accelerator to go, the car almost konks out, but then springs to life & off i go.

i thought i might have let my pod go too long without cleaning it, it was fairly dusty, so i cleaned it with k&n cleaner & whacked it back on.. now i'm having the same problem again.

does anyone have any ideas? fuel filter maybe? its not the plugs, as they are new-ish and i have check them out..

any help is much appreciated..  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 1, 1970, 10:00AM by 1043326800 »

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
Re: problems @ low revs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2003, 12:26PM »
on the weekend i ahd some problems with my car, when i am idling at a set of lights, and then put my foot on the accelerator to go, the car almost konks out, but then springs to life & off i go.

does anyone have any ideas? fuel filter maybe? its not the plugs, as they are new-ish and i have check them out..

mmmmm fuel line? injectors? air filter? idling too low? ummmm....
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline Joczy

• antrx.com junkie
  • feed me guiness
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2003, 08:00AM »
check fuel filter first thing, well not check, but change it, as a blocked filter can cause low fuel pressure, hence not much squirt getting to the injectors, especially at low rpms where the fpr doesnt have enuf time to regulate the flow.

i change my fuel filter every 5000ks along with the oil change and filter, and havent had any problems. i have adapted a better quality fuel filter for a way larger engine. its a ryco brand, z428 fuel filter, im not sure how much they are, as my boss has a jeep but overordered the darn things! but anything made for a 4.0l engine must be an overkill for a 2.4l, + it says to change fuel filter on jeep at around every 10-15,000ks.

minor mods are needed to fit filter. same fuel lines can be used, but a piece of 4mm thick rubber, 3/4 of its way around the filter and around 30mm in width should be adequate when tightening up the fuel filter mount.

also if u have ran out of petrol, or very close to running out of fuel, this can clog the fuel filter, if u do this as a common practise to get as many k's out of ur tank, u mite be clogging up the fuel filter while u are at it, as always, the crap in fuel makes its way to the bottom of the tank.

-Cam
"It's darkest before dawn so if u want to steel ur neighbours newspaper thens the time to do it"

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2003, 12:34AM »
cool, thanks guys... i'm off to buy a filter now.

i forgot to add to the previous post that, after the engine almost dies, it still pulls really hard to the red line.

as for the air filter, i think i mentioned that i cleaned my pod first, in case it was a lack of air flow. the engine usedto idle like a cat purring, varying by about 50-100rpm constantly.. cleaned up the pod, now it idles really smooth again, but a little higher.

it also could be, as you suggested joczy, crap fuel.. as its occurs more often when i get closer to the 1/4 of a tank line on the gauge.. so i thought maybe i unknowingly bougt dodgy fuel from somewhere & there is all this crap at the bottom of the tank?

my dad filled up a work car once at a matilda, got 5kms down the road and conked out. turns out that the fuel he put in his car was nearly 100% water!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2003, 08:20AM »
How new are your leads? Sounds as though a rich mixture is introduced to the combustion chamber and there isn't enough spark energy to ignite it, causing the stumbling. Once the mixture leans out a bit at slightly higher revs, combustion isn't a problem.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2003, 09:00AM »
well, i ahve a teamnse chip, so my mixture is a little leaner all across the range. but probably not lean enough at low revs to make a big difference.

but, i think your right as far as not enough spark.. i think that after all this, the problem was with the dizzy rotor all along.

my leads are 5 months old. bosch super inductive (read as, waste of money) leads.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re:problems @ low revs
« Reply #6 on: Feb 3, 2003, 10:41PM »
i told ya, get the magnecors when you've got the cash! i noticed an improvement straight away.

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 3, 2003, 11:12PM »
Dont mean to steal the thread, but what about spark plugs? They range so much in price. Is there really a difference?

What are top gun leads like ? :P

Offline Joczy

• antrx.com junkie
  • feed me guiness
« Reply #8 on: Feb 4, 2003, 06:57PM »
top gun leads are alright :) no difference really, just look better haha

overall there pretty thick to, they look mean ;)

-Cam
"It's darkest before dawn so if u want to steel ur neighbours newspaper thens the time to do it"

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 4, 2003, 11:20PM »
sold!