Author Topic: any suggestions on front setup.  (Read 1818 times)

Offline matti

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
any suggestions on front setup.
« on: Nov 12, 2004, 03:36PM »
i have a 90 TRX and i've installed my type S Alpine splits up the front. Right now i don't like how it's setup because i've just screwed the woofer straight into the door without any spacers. the window hits the magnet wen you wind the window down and its annoying. i have 6" spacers for them but the door cover won't fit over them with the spacers. Any ideas on setups you might have conjured up?
Would you have to cut the speaker cover off to have some sort of success?

cheers everybody

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
Re: any suggestions on front setup.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2004, 06:38PM »
thats what ive ended up doing, where the grill looking part is, ive cut completely out, as well as the bit at the top, so it looks kinda like a U shape.basically because i had srewed my speakers straght to the door, but the magnet was too big, so i made spacers out of MDF, but then the speakers wouldnt fit behind the map holder dealie. Im in the process of making up some sort of pod setup that will fiil the hole

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Barnett

• antrx.com senior member
  • Not So Stock Ride, Banging Your Mum 24/7 :D
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2004, 08:38PM »
i had the same problem with my s-type splits so this is now what i have done :D i have made a pod on the stock door pocket ;)

[Barnett]

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mmmmm Turbo Mini Chopper Anyone?

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2004, 01:39PM »
I've basically done what The Not so stock ride has, except I have used fibreglass and the shape I chose is slightly different.

this picture was taken before they were finished off (they just needed a final sand and respray, which has been done)

the tweaters are up on the dash, I still haven't made my mind up on where they sound best, but I may place them somewhere on the door.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2004, 01:41PM by TasR.X »

Offline DAN

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2004, 11:51PM »
you got pics of the finished job maybe some side ons and maybe a small write up would be nice cause i need to do that myself and yours look so smoth and sweet.

Offline KatieSmurf

• antrx.com junkie
  • Mmmm insomnia
« Reply #5 on: Dec 1, 2004, 12:30AM »
My tweeters are stuck to the plastic bit on the other side of the mirror?

I'll take a pic, but it's like... if you travel up the door to where the side mirror is, but inside... there's this flat spot with nothing, I put my tweeters there. Of course, I can't tell you any comparison on how they sound, cos my head unit blew up like a week later, but the system sounded good while it lasted ;)

And I dunno how you guys with non electric mirror would fare, there might be like a twiddly knob for moving the mirror there?
What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know, and I don't care.

Offline WantaTRX

• antrx.com senior member
  • 1991 White TRX
« Reply #6 on: Dec 3, 2004, 12:41AM »
Just put some small plastic squares (or any shape really) under the screw holes in the speaker... that will space them enough to fit the window and have the trim fit (also you gotta cut the inside of the trim)
quote from my friend "my VN will kick your 4 cylinder car's ass, coz its a 6 cylinder" haha

Offline Jake

• antrx.com junior member
  • Drive it like you stole it!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2004, 02:06PM »
my first set of splits (xplod 6") were put in the standard position (mounted into the door) with a small spacer so the speaker still fitted between the plastic panel and the door. this worked well but there was alot of vibration in the doors, sounded alright..... and i had the tweeters positioned on the pillars, near the drivers right ear. that was madness! i love those high pitch screams!!!

now i have a much better set up with very crisp clear sound with little vibration.  i have gotten rid of the plastic panel all together! i took an outline of the panel onto mdf and cut it out to the same shape, covered it in carpet and put the speaker on. had to drill it to the door (hardest part, finding the mounting points) but i never been happier. sounds awesome and looks clean and tidy. all round happy boy.  just got the tweeters sittin on the dash mat in the corners. sounds very nice.
Rev it! Drop it! Smoke it!