Author Topic: really need wiring help  (Read 2072 times)

Offline POVR31

• antrx.com senior member
  • go my POVmobile
really need wiring help
« on: Jun 23, 2004, 07:24PM »
sorry to ask same stupid question but i need a hand with the wiring of headunit. I asked some guy at complete audio and he said i had to rewire all the speakers coz the R31 skyline has grounds for each speaker. Its true that each speaker has a ground but i think that needing to rewire all of them is bullshit.

I have gotten this far.

yellow from unit to redin car,   red from unit to black in car,  black from unit is the earth.

now i have the trouble of sorting out what colour wires in the car are what speakers and wether they are + or -.????????

two slots in the adpter in the car have two wires going into them are these neg or pos??

help would be much appreciated.         cheers POVR31
The POVmobile....suspension, rims, customsied POV gearbox and POVerised paint.

Offline POVR31

• go my POVmobile
Re: really need wiring help
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2004, 07:54PM »
alright if ane one cars thats sorted i have to rewire all the speakers. Will my stock speakers survive as long as i dont crank it up though. Eventually i will get good ones.

Offline Urq!

• sdrawkcab siht daer
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • I wonder if anyone reads these things.
    • My car
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2004, 08:03PM »
i care :)
Basically as long as your speakers are not distorting much they should be fine.
May I also suggest when you get new speakers you re-wire them as well. 

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2004, 08:05PM »
The usual way is to grab a AA battery and connect the two ends of the wires to it. If you hear a pop in a speaker, then those two wires belong to those speakers.

Then, to see which is + and -, you connect the AA again, and see what way the cone of the speaker moves. If it moves outwards, the wire that is connected to the + of the AA battery is the +.

Stock speakers will survive, but dunno how good it'll sound  ??? If you're getting new speakers, i'd recommend re-doing the wiring. It aint that hard :)

Offline POVR31

• go my POVmobile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2004, 07:37PM »
i got the unit so iahve to rewire anyway coz of some "queer" skyline common earth thing (i dunoo what it is except it is bad). Just leaving stock speakers coz i have to save up for important stuff like gearbox. So it will be easy when i get new speakers. Are all speaker wires the same or what?

i got speaker wiring under control now i am just worried about the earth bit. Do you earth from the unit or what?

cheers sorry for being elctronically illiterate 

Offline KNG P1N

• humpin ya mumma since '85
  • post whore
  • dont hate the player.....hate the game
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2004, 08:49PM »
The usual way is to grab a AA battery and connect the two ends of the wires to it. If you hear a pop in a speaker, then those two wires belong to those speakers.

Then, to see which is + and -, you connect the AA again, and see what way the cone of the speaker moves. If it moves outwards, the wire that is connected to the + of the AA battery is the +.

Stock speakers will survive, but dunno how good it'll sound  ??? If you're getting new speakers, i'd recommend re-doing the wiring. It aint that hard :)
dam i wish i knew that earlier.lol
wouldnt it stuff ya speakers? or is that why u use a aa?
And there's not much I can say
But we miss you every day
And I'm bitter 'cause it's unfair
We'll be drinkin' in the sun
Playing music having fun
Cause one day I'll see you there
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

ENDLSS

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2004, 02:18AM »
there should be four sets of leads fomr the headunit, each pair color coded diff. the negative cable has a black stripe on it. plug the front left speaker in. fade to front left and if you have sound you have foiund the pair of front left speaker wires. get it? all trial and error unless you have the h/u instruction booklet.
forget the common ground thing, just run both cable to the h/u fomr the speaker, extend if need be. not hard at all.
uv prob fixed this by know but thought id post anyway for everyone else.
cheers

Browny_r31

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2004, 04:26PM »
the way bungs said is the easisets way to do it and yes dont use anything better then a "AA" battery cause it may do damage.

POVR31: If u need help with wiring it up then PM me and ill install it for ya. Easy as. the hardest thing to do is mount the thing using the  suround u r given. It wont match up to the holes used by the stock system so u have to create your own addition to the surround.

Offline jayjay

• TRXXX
    • featured
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2004, 02:12AM »
if all your speakers are grounded , and only have one wire from them
connectthis to the postive of the stereo and leave the negs for the speakers alone , if you dont get sound , only run one negtive  for the speakers
if you run to many it will cause a back current that wont be healthy for your speakers
or the rest of you wiring system
Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But If I win, I take the burger AND the TOY. To some people that's more important