Author Topic: alarm system for manual  (Read 2857 times)

Offline BRUCE-TI

• QLD 5 Year Badge!
  • antrx.com full member
  • my car's just out of frame. To the left.<<<<
alarm system for manual
« on: Jan 21, 2009, 10:57PM »
Has anyone here set up an alarm system with remote start?  i have to use a manual switch which is a bit of a bodgy setup with a trip wire that goes around the gear lever to tell the alam that it is in neutral (which apparently will only last a couple of months before replacement or adjustment). Basically i just want to know if anyone has tried it and if the car will just stall out without the switch if it is left in gear and the handbrake on. It is just a bit of a toy and will probably only get used a couple of times (and with the alarm is actually a task to do).  I just do not want to have to keep replacing it or stuffing around with it, on the off chance something happens. Like it driving down the road and killing a cat. (not the worst case scenario). Is there any sugestions out there to input the alarm for a true neutral?  It does have a turbo timer but that is not fool proof, my wife stalled it because she forgot about the timer and left it in gear when she turned it off. Bloody auto drivers.
'91 Pintara TI Saphire Blue with a unifilter and TSW VX1 Venoms.  Mild but soon to be wild.

"Under steer is where the nose of your car hits the wall and over steer is when the ass end of your car hits the wall. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: alarm system for manual
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:33PM »
I have it set up in my car. Although if your driving a nissan your in luck as they have a neutral switch in the gearbox already, so you just tap into that wire and your set.

I cant remember the colour on the u12 ecu for neutral, jono will correct me no doubt. Using the stock neutral switch its worked without fault for years on end. Wont start in gear, and turbo timer wont run in gear either (turbo timer is built into my alarm).
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline BRUCE-TI

• QLD 5 Year Badge!
  • antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:42PM »
I thought there should be a neutral switch. I should have dug out the old manual already. This is Sir Trx's old girl that i am trying to revive. So yes Nissan (not standard ECU but.) Neutral switch should still be there i hope.  Just have to dig my way through the endless wiring abortion.
'91 Pintara TI Saphire Blue with a unifilter and TSW VX1 Venoms.  Mild but soon to be wild.

"Under steer is where the nose of your car hits the wall and over steer is when the ass end of your car hits the wall. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

Offline sxtacy

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009, 09:43AM »
I hooked up a remote start to my car a few years ago, and if it was ever left in gear with the handbrake on (never left it off)then i went to start it, it would be the same as if you tried to start it normally in gear (jump forward then stall). I had no neutral switch on mine though.
nothing.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:34PM »
Yeah there should be a neutral wire running into your ecu. (that's if they hooked it up when they did the engine conversion).

Find a pinout or a wiring diagram for your ecu, it'll be in there. Just make sure you test it first! From memory it's open circuit when in gear, and grounded when in neutral.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline BRUCE-TI

• QLD 5 Year Badge!
  • antrx.com full member
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:37PM »
cheers people. it is a bit of a step from my Ti. I know a fair bit about the Ka and it's standards. but i am still working out the bits and pieces in this one.