Author Topic: 300zx twin turbo backfiring.  (Read 1693 times)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
300zx twin turbo backfiring.
« on: Jun 30, 2004, 05:06PM »
there is a guy at work that owns a twin turbo 300zx. he asked me today about why his car has suddenly started backfiring, i have suggested the following:

Inspect the muffler for any holes or rust spots. Rust spots will eventually lead to holes, and holes will cause the vehicle to sound louder than normal.

Press the accelerator pedal while the vehicle is running and watch the exhaust for any smoke. Different colors of smoke most likely indicate different ailments.

• Black smoke generally indicates a tune up or minor adjustment is needed.
  • Blue smoke usually indicates worn piston that results in burning oil. This suggests a major engine overhaul.
  • White smoke is usually antifreeze seeping into the engine block that burns with fuel.

Check your intake for leaks. This includes the rubber piping and the intake manifold. Spray some WD40 on joints in the intake to see if it bubbles or hisses, if it is leaking, fix the damaged section. If it is leaking, it might be an opportunity to upgrade to some kind of cold air induction setup.

Check the gaskets on your exhaust manifold if you can, if the gaskets are shot you will notice carbon build up on the head around the manifold.

If you have a timing light, check your timing. It could be that your timing chain has either streached or jumped a tooth, but I would check the timing first.

can any of you guys think of anything else i can suggest him to check? any help would be appreciated.

he also said that it only seems to occur in rainy weather
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2004, 05:56PM by noss »

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

89tipintara

Re: 300zx twin turbo backfiring.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2004, 05:52PM »
Noss when I posted this similar problem every one suggested checking my leads and plugs and dizzy cap, rotor button. And they were right, and to tell if this is the case the exhaust fumes should be slightly darker than norm.....

My ended up being a faulty spark plug. Hope this helps him.

Offline tomo

• antrx.com junior member
  • whats that??? ca18det powered corsair! yeah baby
Re: 300zx twin turbo backfiring.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 2, 2004, 11:28PM »
point him to www.aus300.com.au
barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp pshh barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp pshh