Author Topic: boost boost boost  (Read 3330 times)

Offline fez200

• antrx.com full member
  • BARBIE AIN'T HERE..!
    • RAW4x4
boost boost boost
« on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:30AM »
what boost are you guys are running...ie what mods and what boost are achievable, the u13 has 7psi factory?

ive got the typical exhaust, intercooler,controller, filter not sure what boost to run at.

i feel like a dick posting all these topics, just new to this and want to get the most out of my bluey...they are a top under rated car.
God gave man a brain and a penis and only enough blood to operate one at a time.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: boost boost boost
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:51AM »
Stay around 11-12psi with the factory T25G and small-ish factory U13 intercooler.  If you have a bigger cooler, you might find the T25G is running out of puff around 14-15psi anyway, either that or your injectors will crap out.

Hugh is the better person to reply to this topic tho.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2006, 11:21AM »
my car runs 11 psi fine in summer with a toppie, im sure you could push it a bit further with the stock front mount

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2006, 11:26AM »
It would be using the knock sensor a fair bit @ 11psi on the TMIC in summer milford. 

I am certain of that mate.

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2006, 12:55PM »
i've run up to 16psi with a bigger front mount + exhaust, but the crappy t25g runs out of puff and boost drops significantly (i.e. around 11psi) towards redline, making it useful for that blast of torque out of corners but useless down the drags where you shift staying up in the revs etc.

my setup doesn't breath enough for the injectors to max out, but throwing consult on and checking the duty cycle might be a good idea for you to do yourself.

i've seen boost spike to 18psi or so accidentally, had taken things apart and put back together and forgotten i'd fiddled with the bleed valve. no big deal.

Offline fez200

• antrx.com full member
  • BARBIE AIN'T HERE..!
    • RAW4x4
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2006, 01:11PM »
im not running the factory cooler, this ones a 650 x 350 x 80 size, what boost can you use with that?
God gave man a brain and a penis and only enough blood to operate one at a time.

Offline phreeky

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2006, 02:19PM »
if ya cooler is that big then your cooler wont be an issue! that will easily cool the heat generated by pressuring the intake to a pretty extreme level, so things you should be thinking about are:
- AFRs - can the pump, injector and current tune (also any timing advancing) deliver the required fuel and give good ratios?
- engines internals - i doubt they'd have a problem, so long as the above is kept safe
- is the clutch and gearbox gonna hold up ok?

personally i don't see a problem with running 14psi assuming the fuel system is in good order, spiking a little higher is not too bad either to give that "kick in the back" feeling. it's your call though, and if you're worried maybe u should throw a good boost controller on, a fuel pressure regulator and throw it on a dyno to ensure the AFRs are safe.

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2006, 04:12PM »
you wont have a problem with the cooler. this size will comfortably cool 30psi without coming close to shitting itself.....

as has been said the t25 will run out of puff at 15psi very quick, i have a highflowed t25 and still runs out of puff at 6500rpm to redline on 11psi. this is where i have found the best balance for the car to be without cracking open the injectors and changing them and having to do anything to the ECU.

my advice is 11psi until you either upgrade your turbo or upgrade your ECU and your AFM to a Z32 unit.

i am just about to upgrade my ECU and AFM, my car is pumping out 150kw's at all 4 Wheels at the moment. i am hoping that with the ecu mods and the AFM change to gain atleast 10kw's at the wheels.

also it is good insurance to change your fuel pump to a 550hp pump of your choice, it will pay itself off later

Hugh

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2006, 04:18PM »
It would be using the knock sensor a fair bit @ 11psi on the TMIC in summer milford. 

I am certain of that mate.

it was hitting the knock sensor when i had it at 12-13 (what it came with) but i toned it down and havnt had a problem since

Offline fez200

• antrx.com full member
  • BARBIE AIN'T HERE..!
    • RAW4x4
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2006, 03:02PM »
just got crazier, what mods have you done to yours to get it to 150kw.

have you had it at the drags?

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2006, 03:20PM »
yes he has :P

His best is a 13.6

What the fuck is that pintara doing at a drag event :P hehe

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2006, 03:21PM »
have a look at it in members rides. although i should update it a bit.....

but yeah its all in there at the moment i think

Offline fez200

• antrx.com full member
  • BARBIE AIN'T HERE..!
    • RAW4x4
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2006, 01:33PM »
since ive added a manual boost control and its set to the lowest setting i find on hard acceleration that it quickly peaks to around 14psi then drops off to about 10psi..

is that about right for that kind of boost controller? id like to keep the boost around 13psi through full acceleration.

Offline phreeky

« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2006, 03:35PM »
it seems the turbo just isn't quite up to it mate, drops off in the revs cos it can't flow anymore. i get the exact same thing, and all boost controllers will give you pretty much the same result unfortunately

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:48AM »
that sounds about right, i have found that to hold the same amount of boost the whole way through the rev range, you need it set on 11psi, no higher. thats for the T25 anyways. going to be testing a T28 soon hopefully