Author Topic: ABS Failure  (Read 4190 times)

Offline cheeseman

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
ABS Failure
« on: Jul 31, 2006, 03:16PM »
Hey All - I am after some advice with failed ABS [in 95 manual Attesa].  The warning light has been been coming on for some time.  Mechanic who looks after my car is ex Nissan factory mechanic and initially couldn't find any electronic or physical problem + ABS still worked.  Now the light comes on not long after start up, the ABS does NOT work, and neither my mechanics or Nissan dealers consult can communicate with ABS module - it appears to be dead.

I am getting a price for Nissan replacement, but I'm expecting a shock.  Mechanic seems to think the ABS module may be Attesa specific not a generic ABS module.  Is this the kind of thing that is left in a front cut after people have taken what they want?  How much $$? ABS was standard on all Attesas right?

The ABS was 1 reason [not the only reason] I sold my 2.4 U13 and upgraded to the Attesa.

Any advice or other peoples experience would be helpful.

Cheers
Gavin

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: ABS Failure
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2006, 03:38PM »
You should be able to source an ABS module from a half-cut somewhere in australia.

The only other ATTESA I have heard of this happening in was a black HNU12 (Ziin's car for those that know it).  His ABS light came and went and then stayed on all the time I think.  I'm pretty sure he replaced the module from an auto HNU12 half-cut for little cost.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2006, 07:46PM »
i had this happen once in a blue moon sorta thing a while ago, seemed only to happen when it was wet??

but was very inconsistent. it would be your abs module that is stuffed and it is very hard to find a fault with them physically, so if the lights on its stuffed.

half cuts usually will have them and expect a hefty price like 2k for one from nissan, and a 2-6 week wait

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2006, 08:35PM »
It might be worth PM-ing Counterpunch. He wrecked a U13 ATTESA a little while ago.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #4 on: Aug 9, 2006, 12:08PM »
doesn't the abs module have a "flashing light" method to check error codes?

if they say it's stuffed at least pop that sucker open and look for any physical signs. could be as simple as a dry solder joint!

Offline cheeseman

« Reply #5 on: Aug 9, 2006, 04:59PM »
Latest update - since we started playing around with it the ABS light has been OFF more than on; and when it's off the ABS works.  Still seems to be some issue with actually communicating with the thing, but some one has a whiz bang consult thing which is supposed to read 99.99% of units.

I still don't understand why Nissan would use a different ABS system in the Atessa to the 2.4 U13, or every other Nissan for that matter.  Nissan supplied replacement is not an option; especailly since we don't know what is at fault.  It may only be a sensor that's failed but because it's not a locally delivered car no one can read the codes.  Appartently 1 failed sensor will shut down the whole system and switch on the light.

Can you offer any more detail on the flashing light code method?

Cheers
Gavin

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2006, 03:26PM »
well the abs control unit might have an LED on it (i haven't paid much attention to it sorry), which will flash a number. it's a very standard method and set of codes from nissan, info from 200sx.org:

Long Flash - 0.6 seconds on (the first digit)
Short Flash - 0.3 seconds on (the second digit)
Long Gap - 2.1 seconds off (used between codes)
Short Gap - 0.9 seconds off (used between digits)

http://www.200sx.org/abscodes.html

Offline cheeseman

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2006, 12:07PM »
So the latest update is the fault code is the G-sensor for the ABS.  Code read with a $1500 reader while the Snap On consult worth 10x that wouldn't even communicate with the module.

Replaced the ABS module with one from Counterpunch's wreck [94 HNU13] on a guess that the g-sensor was built into this unit; WRONG.  Fault light is still coming on.  Nissan's best advice from their schematic diagram was the g-sensor is likely to be under the centre console or the drivers seat, but nothing found a yet.

Mechanic is sourcing a location and Nissan part number and hopefully Conterpunch has one of them in his box of tricks as well. 

Does anyone remember seeing a little box about 90 x 40  x 30 mm connected to the wiring harness under the centre console or behind the dash anywhere by any chance?

FYI - no flashing light on the ABS box; [possibly one inside; i didn't open it and since it now seems that there is nothing wrong in there I dont plan to] the error codes from the 200sx site don't seem to align with the U13 ones quoted.

Cheers & thanks to CP for his help so far.
G

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2006, 12:36PM »
i will have a look on FAST for you

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2006, 01:43PM »
Here we go :)

This sensor is not present in the diagrams for the FWD U13, only the AWD's.

Fast calls is a 'deceleration sensor'... that must be it.  Looks like its located in the mid section of the car, drivers side.

Part number is-

47930-1E000  (or, alternate part number) ---> 47930-58E00

:D

dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2006, 11:55PM »
Budgie, do you have information on all the attessa's. Good work with all the info.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2006, 09:58PM »
Check under the back seat, I've seen what I think are G-force sensors on the transmission tunnel hump under there in some Nissans.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline cheeseman

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2006, 12:31PM »
OK - So this problem seems to be solved now.  My mechanic spent 2+ hours Friday removing most of the dash and finally attacking the existing senor screws with a rattle gun to get the dud one out and install the replacement.

For future reference the sensor in my car [series II] was located in under the dash, not on the floor around the drivers seat as in the diagram above.  The part number was correct. 

thanks Jimmy for the sensor.

Also had a poke around the NZ bluebird group which had a very detailed pdf of Altima workshop manual including pages of wiring diagrams, but no mention of this g-sensor in the abs.  Is this type of sensor common in ABS systems?

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Cheers
G

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2006, 01:21AM »
I'm not sure if they have anything to do with the ABS, I always assumed they were part of the air-bag system. I only mentioned the sensors because someone else said something about g-sensors.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline cheeseman

« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:03AM »
Thanks Jono.  The sensor I had problems with was identified as a g-sensor or decelaration sensor and as Bdugie pointed out seems to be part of the Atessa ABS, but not the FWD version and it would seem the Altima version either.  I only wish it had been under the back seat; I could have replaced it myself instead of paying someone to search in under the dash.

My car does not have any airbags and I didn't find anything under my back seat so you may well be correct about sensor under there being for the airbags.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.   Nissan's official response was it is probably somewhere around the driver's seat which was a bit off the mark.  Would they have been referring to the FAST system as well?

Cheers

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2006, 07:38PM »
yeah more than likely, it is the only system to search components as far as i know