Author Topic: BROKEN TIMING CHAIN  (Read 1754 times)

Offline BAM169

• antrx.com junior member
BROKEN TIMING CHAIN
« on: Mar 26, 2009, 06:23PM »
Hi every one how you all going? I probably know the answer but need to ask anyway. Timing chain broke on my ka24e today, so i quessing that the valves will be a wee bit bent. I'm not replacing the chain to only find out that its got know bloody compression.

I only just had this car back on the road after several weeks off, so i'm not bloody happy.

So if any one has this type of failure before, please drop me a message and put me out of my misery, dont be gentle. Up front and honest please, lol.

By the way this car could be up for sale rather cheapish very soon. Will keep you all posted.

Offline scubasteve

• antrx.com pre-pewbie newbie
Re: BROKEN TIMING CHAIN
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2009, 09:21AM »
Hey i cant offer much advice atm but i can say i feel your pain im going through the exact same thing and i already paid to get my chain replaced atleast 12 months ago!! so im not too happy either. ive taken my head off first cause last time it happened there were snapped valves and this time there are a few bent ones which ill have to replace but its definately been easier doing the work myself instead of forking out the 2800 it cost me to do it last time :(.

cheers

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2009, 03:17PM »
Drop in a low km replacement, change the chain on the replacement engine and tensioner before you drop it in for piece of mind?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline BAM169

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2009, 08:11PM »
 Thanks guys, i've actually had enough of this car, i think its cursed since i moved back to NSW. So i have the car up for sale as is tow away. There is a post in the classifieds.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Apr 3, 2009, 03:16PM »
Did you try cranking the engine over AFTER the chain snapped? Do you know for certain that you have bent valves?

Offline BAM169

« Reply #5 on: Apr 3, 2009, 03:24PM »
 Hi SSS. I did crank the engine over mate, the engine actually started then the chain broke. Didn't hear a thing go wrong, it was just like the engine stalled so i hit the key to start it then tried to clutch it, so from past experience with engines the valves will be bent. You can also rotate the engine by hand with the alternator pulley, so there is not much compression what so ever.