Author Topic: odometer and tripmeter just stoped working on my GL corsair  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Jay1990corsair

• antrx.com junior member
yeah i'm kinda new to posting so i'm not sure if i can post this here but...

So yeah it just stopped clicking over and i'm wondering if i need 2 pick up a new cluster or whatever, i had a look over at a pick your own parts place and they said it was $30 for a new cluster, and would a cluster from a ghia or a Ti pintara with tacho work?, (i ask so many questions....) the cluster i looked at had 245,000ks on it and mine has 186,000, and can they be wound back? because i don't wanna have it saying i've done more kilometers than i have actually done.

sorry bout all the questions but this odometer thing has been sh**ing  me for days lol.
so...my car is pretty dirty...

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
Re: odometer and tripmeter just stoped working on my GL corsair
« Reply #1 on: Nov 6, 2008, 03:32PM »
PM Jono for a new odometer cog.
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #2 on: Nov 6, 2008, 03:40PM »
And so you know its illegal to wind back odometers.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline snailman

• GOC 180' man
  • antrx.com senior member
  • 1994 U13 SSS BLUEY
« Reply #3 on: Nov 6, 2008, 03:43PM »
And so you know its illegal to wind back odometers.
lol yes, don't go doing this, you'll get in alot of trouble if you get caught :P
loves doing 180's up great ocean road... not!

Offline Jay1990corsair

« Reply #4 on: Nov 6, 2008, 04:09PM »
Yeah i figured it would be illegal due to all those shifty car dealers and etc ;D yeah so a new odometer cog seems the way to go ay?...another question totally un-related, ECM light coming on intermittently...problem?

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 6, 2008, 04:20PM »
Search man, its been covered before even by me and there is a writeup somewhere. Able Instruments in Loganholme stock it but Jono may get it cheaper.

It was the first "major" repair I had done on my car and its easy. It would be a small cog that has broken. Make you sure change this AND the bigger cog its connected and not like me and change one to realise it wasn't working.

Make sure you remove any broken teeth in the cog. The problem being plastic is that it gets so damn hot that it weakens it too like rubber.

I would do that than being dodge and winding it back. Other instrument places may have the cog in your state. :)
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline Jay1990corsair

« Reply #6 on: Nov 6, 2008, 10:05PM »
So i nkow what needs to be done with the whole disassembly of the unit, theres only one thing that  im not sure about and thats removing the speedo needle, so how do you removing and put it back on because the last thing i wanna do is f**k up the speedo

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 6, 2008, 10:33PM »
You don't need to take off the needle, just need to take out the cluster out, turn it around unscrew and the middle speedometer will come out. Than another screw and your pretty much done.

There's actually a writeup somewhere. Not, hard, just time consuming to get to it tho I have done it so many times, could do it blindfolded. Having a mini drill makes it heaps quicker.
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline Jay1990corsair

« Reply #8 on: Nov 7, 2008, 02:47PM »
yeah i might just do it that way, i was just thinking if you get the the front face off the middle speedometer it might be easier but i'll try it your way because since you've done before, so it it must work  ;D