Author Topic: airconditioning on/off  (Read 4691 times)

Offline u12-910

• antrx.com full member
airconditioning on/off
« on: Oct 25, 2006, 06:26PM »
hey guys,  after 8 or so months of trouble free driving the pintara i starting to have a few little niggles.  the first being the fog light that decided to die which was a very easy fix.  the one thats concerning me at the moment as we lead up to summer is the aircon not staying on all the time.  it never had a problem last year but since starting to use it the condensor doesnt seem to switch on all the time or it will randomly cut off leaving you with hot air not fun.  now is there a common problem to look for or could it be the compressor is dieing????

i find it weird that it will work fine sometimes then just go off or others wont come on then the idle will drop and it starts to cool down.  it still gets cold when working.  i dont know if re gassing will help.

any ideas???

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
Re: airconditioning on/off
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2006, 07:41PM »
My guess is the magnetic clutch in the AC compressor or the plug for the clutch needs a good clean.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2006, 08:12PM »
Re-gassing may help, is the air-con still blowing as cold as it should be?

Some things to check are the wiring for the A/C clutch like dave said, this is a wire that comes from behind the pulley on the compressor. Check if it's broken by wiggling it while the engine is on. If it's broken you should hear a clicking noise from the compressor when you're wiggling it. Also check the plug on that wire.

The other electronic component you can check is the pressure switch, which I think is located in the drying canister thingy which is the aerosol-can-sized canister which is connected in line with the air-con pipes in the front of the engine bay. Check and clean the terminals in the plug.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline u12-910

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2006, 08:31PM »
yeah it still gets icy cold when working.  ill have a look at the above mentioned tomorrow morning.  gotta love holidays. 

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2006, 08:35PM »
what they said. Definately not your gas if its cooling properly. You can tell theres no gas when the fans stop coming on with the a/c button, not to mention the loud hissing sound.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2006, 09:14PM »
You can tell theres no gas because the compressor clutch will not engauge as a safe guard.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2006, 09:17PM »
alright, hissing = low gas
 no fans or comp. = no gas at all
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2006, 11:05PM »
There is also a bi-metallic switch on the evaporator (behind the glove box), it turns the compressor on and off depending the evaporator temperature (to prevent it from icing up), it may be worth checking it out. Also when you press the accelorator down more than 60% the ECU will turn the compressor off to improve acceleration, it turns it back on 10 seconds after the accelerator comes back under 60% open. So your Throttle Position Sensor may be faulty, you could check for codes on the ECU or disconnect it and see if the problem goes away.

Offline Virus

• antrx.com senior member
  • Cpt Sense Of Direction
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2007, 05:31PM »
did you ever fix this problem?

Mine has been playing up for years in the same sorta way. When in runs everything is on, fans and compressor and both goin. But then sometimes nothing runs. When it is runnin its just as cool as is should be. Its really annoying and very hot.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:04AM »
There is also a bi-metallic switch on the evaporator (behind the glove box), it turns the compressor on and off depending the evaporator temperature (to prevent it from icing up), it may be worth checking it out. Also when you press the accelorator down more than 60% the ECU will turn the compressor off to improve acceleration, it turns it back on 10 seconds after the accelerator comes back under 60% open. So your Throttle Position Sensor may be faulty, you could check for codes on the ECU or disconnect it and see if the problem goes away.

hey i don't remember mine turning off when i use to stab the throttle.. it just use to go oh so slooowwww
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2007, 08:15AM »
i remember mine would run at WOT too. then I would ease off at 4000 due to the belt squeal. All fixed now. I have to say i've noticed its not as cold when being driven hard, so maybe it does turn off  :o

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2007, 03:37PM »
If your throttle position sensor does not work it will not turn off.

Offline Virus

• antrx.com senior member
  • Cpt Sense Of Direction
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2007, 12:25AM »
still cant figure out what is wrong with it. When it works it works perfectly but then it stops working. It runs fine in cool temp days but on hot days when u need it, it dont work at all. fans and clutch come on with no problem when its working but neither do when its not

Offline David

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #13 on: Aug 23, 2008, 08:24PM »
Hey man That is what my car use to do First we thought it was the Fan Wwitch air con button  but it wasnt we change the resistor still the same sometimes it works  for a bit tham it stops.

We found out the issue it was the Thermostat went to the werkers and it all good now the Thermostat is the grey wire with a black rubber thing at the end it is inside the air con box. 

Offline u12-910

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2008, 12:35PM »
still have this issue but im going to give the upper mentioned a go.  hopefully this might be the answer.  while the system was running i tried disconnecting other parts of the system and it switched off so ill give this a go.  may have to go to upull it in elizabeth.  dont know if lonsdale has any u12's there.

Offline deadant

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:25PM »
David  is right its the Thermostat.. mine did the same thing... got it looked at.. the stupid auto elects said it was low on gas and the compressor was stuffed... i paid 1600 for them to replace the compressor and regas and all that and it still did it... after yellin and takin it bak it was the thermostat... id try and get a new one since when they got another from a wrecker it was fualty to... now i have a adjustable one in... which ended up costin another 150 but its cold as now...

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2008, 05:15PM »
THat is interesting ant, my air con plays up like above too. Sometimes cold, sometimes blows warm air, woukld love for it to blow icy cold air, not a fan of cool-ish air.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline u12-910

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #17 on: Jan 9, 2009, 03:04PM »
David  is right its the Thermostat.. mine did the same thing... got it looked at.. the stupid auto elects said it was low on gas and the compressor was stuffed... i paid 1600 for them to replace the compressor and regas and all that and it still did it... after yellin and takin it bak it was the thermostat... id try and get a new one since when they got another from a wrecker it was fualty to... now i have a adjustable one in... which ended up costin another 150 but its cold as now...

can you give me an idea on how to install this????  and via doing this does the system have to be regassed again.  ive only just had mine done.  i know they can scage the gas so im not paying for it again.  just the cost of taking it and replacing it.