Author Topic: 17" Wheels  (Read 10009 times)

Offline SmootH

• antrx.com full member
  • TRXTC
17" Wheels
« on: May 27, 2003, 01:06PM »
Hi everyone, i wanted to ask from everyone if the have 17" wheels on there TRX, its illegal i know, but has anyone been caught  having them on their car, and if so, what did they do about it, and what was the outcome, if anyone can help it would be great, thanks

:) 8) ::) ;D :P :-*

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
Re:17" Wheels
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 02:16PM »
Wouldn't 17" be a bit too big for a Pintara?
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 02:23PM »
mr. trx had 17" chromies

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline brentrx

• antrx.com junior member
  • OPEN MINDS OPEN MOUNTAINS
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 02:46PM »
I have 17's,, so does even flow.

i got pulled up by a copa a few weeks ago, he checked everything, I MEAN EVERYTHING he was such a wanka, and he didn't say anything bout the wheels. I swear it pisses me off so much, there are gangs bashing ppl up every nite for no reason, fukn drugs and everything, yet they spend all there time with speed camera's and 'random checks'.

There my 2 cents, but yeah, nothing said bout the 17's!  ;)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 03:39PM »
cops pick on easy targets. its all about the money. it is much cheaper for them to send out 10 cops over melbourne and defect say, 10 cars each over a 4 hour shift than what it is to have 50 cops working across melbourne on an anti drug operation.

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty
    • Antrx
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 04:35PM »
yup, never had a prob. with my 17's ........ so far :)

Offline RichTRX

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 04:49PM »
Do you guys have any pictures of your cars with the 17" wheels on them?

I'm keen to have a look!!

You have to wonder if the police even care about stuff like that. It's all about bl**dy money.
 :(
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline weasel

• nsw local moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 04:56PM »
are your cars lowered evenflow and brent cause theres a corsair getting around newcastle it's lowered,17's,airbrushing and all "PLAYER" plates it's pretty cool

i just wanna know cause i'm thinking about changing my wheels (for a while now!!!!!!) and i wanna know of any probs
"Noss is God"

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 05:45PM »
weasel, are your enkei's 15's or 16's?

cause if they were 16's i'd be interested down the track.

Offline SmootH

• antrx.com full member
  • TRXTC
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2003, 06:00PM »
VIC ROADS - Vehicle standards information - Guide to modifications for motor vehicles.

8. WHEELS AND TYRES

Replacement wheels and tyres may be fitted provided that they comply with the following requirements:

The width of any replacement rim must not be:
more than 25mm greater than the widest wheel specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series; or
less than the width of the narrowest rim specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series.
Rims, which have been widened, must have no more than one peripheral weld. All welding must be carried out in accordance with recognised engineering standards, and the rims must comply in all respects with specifications contained in the Tyre and Rim Standards Manual published by the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia.
The overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be:
more than 15mm greater than largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series; or
more than 15mm less than the smallest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series.
Rim and tyre combinations must be in accordance with the recommendations contained in the Tyre and Rim Standards Manual published by the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia and have a load and speed rating equal to or better than that required by the standards for registration.
The wheels and tyres must not foul any part of the body, suspension, steering or brake components at any position of the suspension travel or steering movement.

The maximum allowable track increase is:

in the case of a front axle-25 mm;
in the case of a rear axle with independent suspension-25 mm;
in the case of other rear axles-50 mm; and
in the case of a motor vehicle manufactured with a combination of front wheel drive, McPherson strut front suspension and negative scrub radius steering geometry, no increase in wheel track is permitted unless specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
in the case of a motor vehicle fitted with a diagonally split braking system (i.e. one front wheel and opposite rear wheel on same hydraulic circuit), no change in the wheel track dimension is permitted.

Spacers between the wheel and hub are not permitted unless provided by the vehicle manufacturer as original equipment.

Wheel nuts must engage the thread of the wheel stud for at least the same length as the original wheel nut and have the same taper as the mating wheel stud hole.

The stud pattern of the replacement wheel must be the same as the original. Re-drilling wheels, hubs, drums, discs or axle flanges is not permitted. Wheels with slotted stud holes are not permitted.

Aluminum alloy wheels (mags) are acceptable provided they meet the above requirements and are legibly and durably marked to show compliance with one of the following standards:

AS 1638 Australian Standard
DOT Department of Transport USA
JWLT Japanese Light Alloy Wheel Truck and Bus
JWLTJapanese Light Alloy Wheel
JIS Japanese Industry Standard
KBA German TUV Certification
VIA Vehicle Inspection Association Japan

Repaired or damaged alloy wheels are not acceptable.

Unless im reading incorrectly, this says nothing about the size of the rim, just that it cant be any wider than 25mm and the diameter of the tyre cant be more than 15mm larger, if im reading inccorectly then can someone tell me please.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 07:07PM »
i just been told you dont have enkei's weasel, must of been someone elses car i was thinking about. oh well.

Offline SIR_TRX

• antrx.com senior member
  • 12NVI
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2003, 09:29PM »
i have 18's on mine and have had no probs with the law. only had to get the rear gaurds rolled.
MY RIDES:

-NISSAN R32 GTR - 11.5@125mph on streets
---> HKS T04R TURBO KIT - UPGRADING TO T04Z SOON!
-SUZUKI K7 GSX-R 600

PREVIOUS RIDES:
- 12NVI NISSAN PINTARA TRX SHOWCAR, S14 200SX S2, 300ZX, EVO VI, YAMAHA R6

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2003, 12:35AM »
serious?? sweet! got any pics?

Offline NOFX

• antrx cruise monkey
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2003, 07:11AM »
yeah, post some pics of the 18's dude
The car developed an electrical problem after the conrod knocked the distributor off

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
    • Antrx
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2003, 10:38AM »
weasel said:
are your cars lowered evenflow and brent cause theres a corsair getting around newcastle it's lowered,17's,airbrushing and all "PLAYER" plates it's pretty cool

Mine is not lowered unfortunately!

SmootH: I thought you can only go 2 inches larger than what the car comes with originally, so TRX stock has "14's, so the maximum size allowed is "16. Am I wrong ppl?

SIR_TRX: What wheels/rims u have? I think u are the first trx person with 18's..nice job :)

Offline RichTRX

• post whore
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2003, 10:47AM »
Yeah that sounds awesome mate!  :D Post some pics!!!  8)

Meanwhile, has anyone tried using 215 tyres of any series without rolling the guards? Ie. will they fit?
Cheers ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 10:55AM by RichTRX »

Offline DaveTRX

• All Polar Bears are left handed!!
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2003, 12:21PM »
 ;DSIR_TRX, i think you're out voted and have to tease us with some pics of your FAT 18's.

You can only go 2 inches over the standard size, but i'm putting 17's on mine in about 7 weeks when i finish paying off the car, so if ya do the same make sure you keep the stockies in case you do get defected. However, i think the TRX is a pretty classy l :oking sports car which if you looked at it you would expect that it came with 15's. 8)

RichTRX, the President's bro from our club has a TRX and the presi works on it. When i got mine the first advice he gave me was to not put 215's on it cause it scrapes the gaurds. ;) I'm gonna put            205/40/17 size tyres on mine. CAN'T WAIT :D.

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
    • Antrx
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2003, 01:23PM »
shit dave, i have 225's and it is scraping :cwm6:

Offline SmootH

• antrx.com full member
  • TRXTC
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2003, 02:33PM »
ok well guys, with regards to having 17" wheels on my car, ive been to vic roads, i call the tac, i called the tyre and rim association of australia, and i went to the pigs, they have all told me that i can have 17" wheels on my car as long as my wheels dont pertrude past my guards and that they meet the vic roads guide lines which are you can not have tyres which make the overall diameter of the wheel 15mm more and you cant have wheels where the tyre grows more that 25mm than the largest factory wheel, so yeah, unless im totally wrong or anyone has any evidenece to change my mind, im putting 17" wheels on my car. thanks ;)

Offline RichTRX

• post whore
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2003, 02:49PM »
Good on you mate! Have you got any ideas as to which wheels you want?

PS. I've got 205/60 G-Grids on my car, grips like anything. I'd definitely get them again.
Also, cars look h*ll meaty with directional (ie.. V) tyres, especially TRXs.

Offline SIR_TRX

• 12NVI
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2003, 02:51PM »
i will try to get a digital camera off someone to post pics. my wheels are advanti racing raptors in 5 spoke using 215/35 tyres. these were the only wheels that would clear my brakes on the front without using custom spacers which are $200 a corner!
MY RIDES:

-SUZUKI K7 GSX-R 600

PREVIOUS RIDES:

Offline brentrx

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2003, 03:23PM »
Yeh Skinny, apparently you cant have 215's on trx's without getting the guards rolled. I thought it was a problem with my shockers, but the best thing to do is get the guards rolled....or never take anyone in the back. It sucks, my back tyres are geting scrubbed up pretty bad now too, so im refusing to take ppl in the back. So yeh ppl, 205's the way to go!

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
    • Antrx
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2003, 04:27PM »
brent, are u gonna try and do anything with an angle-grinder?

I"m gonna attempt this with a mate on sat. and see if it helps.  :o
If not, i will risk getting the paint damaged and get the guards rolled  >:(

Offline SIR_TRX

• 12NVI
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2003, 06:16PM »
yeah i got my rear guards rolled and it cracked the paint. didnt matter to me cos it was getting a new paintjob. now i can sit 3 in the back with ease! i've got super lows all round but not low enough for my likings, so im getting the rear springs reset an inch lower and front a half inch. i want it on its ass ;D
MY RIDES:

-SUZUKI K7 GSX-R 600

PREVIOUS RIDES:

Offline weasel

• nsw local moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2003, 07:21PM »
i just been told you dont have enkei's weasel, must of been someone elses car i was thinking about. oh well.

Nah dude mine are genuine enkei's they've still got the whole infinity sign dust caps

and yeah they are 16s not sure how far into the future it'll be before i sell though
"Noss is God"

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
    • Antrx
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2003, 07:34PM »
Where did u get your guards rolled SIR_TRX?
and how much?

James

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2003, 11:59PM »
haha, i have 14" mags that were given to me, and i have 215s on them and they scrape like crazy! and they're only 14's  :-\ haha, i too have to refuse rear passengers because my tires cannot take it, but this weekend i plan to attempt to rectify the problem of my guards ;)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2003, 12:10AM »
i will try to get a digital camera off someone to post pics.

Can't wait SIR_TRX... your trx sounds pretty kickass looks wise! :D
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline SIR_TRX

• 12NVI
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2003, 08:21AM »
Where did u get your guards rolled SIR_TRX?
and how much?

i got them rolled in a place in brisbane called camerons bodyworks in coopers plains. they are a pretty good place for all body mods. they tried heating the paint before rolling but couldnt prevent it cracking.
organising to get camera soon :)
MY RIDES:

-SUZUKI K7 GSX-R 600

PREVIOUS RIDES:

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
    • Antrx
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2003, 10:21AM »
True SIR_TRX, the guy I took my car to, said there was no guarantee the paint wouldn't crack. Ah well, might just have to get that part re-sprayed again I suppose.

Offline DaveTRX

• All Polar Bears are left handed!!
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2003, 12:00PM »
yeah i got my rear guards rolled and it cracked the paint. didnt matter to me cos it was getting a new paintjob. now i can sit 3 in the back with ease! i've got super lows all round but not low enough for my likings, so im getting the rear springs reset an inch lower and front a half inch. i want it on its ass ;D
;)G'day SIR_TRX i was wondering the spfor how low you're trx is because i know here in Adelaide it's got to be no lower than 375mm from the centre of the mag to the bottom of the gaurdfor the front and for the back 310mm. :)

Offline SmootH

• antrx.com full member
  • TRXTC
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2003, 02:54PM »
Hey, ive looked around and i have found the rims i want, im going for the HR Racing wheels  HR 125 in a silver 17" x 7, if anyone is interested in seeing them they can at www.hrracingwheels.com, ill post some pics when they are on in a few weeks.:)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2003, 03:55PM »
yeah. i know them. i was going to get them in white this weekend. looks like its back to the drawing board.

Offline SmootH

• antrx.com full member
  • TRXTC
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2003, 04:11PM »
Why back to the drawing board???

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2003, 04:21PM »
originality is my guess
 :cwm40:
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2003, 04:48PM »
yes originatlity is the key.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2003, 05:41PM »
He doesn't have them yet noss....

Offline SIR_TRX

• 12NVI
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2003, 07:45PM »
hey dave_trx, without getting the springs reset, it is 310mm from centre of wheel to the guard all round. i think qld laws are that its legal if the lowest point of the car is 100mm off the ground. i have had a custom front bar made up and it sits 95mm off the ground so it is only going to be put on for shows and cruises. going to autosalon this year and by then it should be up to a cover car standard. my goal is to get a trx on the cover of hot4s! gotta represent right ;)
MY RIDES:

-SUZUKI K7 GSX-R 600

PREVIOUS RIDES:

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2003, 10:20PM »
i found new wheels now... hehe..  ;D

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
    • Antrx
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2003, 10:02AM »
what wheels noss?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2003, 10:06AM »
ah yeah, you know.. 17" lenso concept fives..  :P

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
    • Antrx
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2003, 01:27PM »
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

#@$@$  @($#@&# and @(#*&@#)!!!@!

:action-smiley-070:

lol

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
    • Antrx
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2003, 01:41PM »
Anyway, if anyone is interested or curious, here is a pic of my wheels:

I'll put up a real shot of it on my car soon.

Everyone wish me luck for the angle grinding i am gonna do on sat  to my mudguards :-\

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline SmootH

• antrx.com full member
  • TRXTC
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2003, 03:15PM »
hey noss, wat did u get quoted for your tyres and wheels origionally, when you were going to get the HR 125's, ive been quoted $1400 with 17x7's and Falken 215/40/r17 i think not sure, but new tyres and rims with trade in on my old tyres, is that good?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2003, 03:56PM »
thats pretty damn good mate.

i got quoted $275 per wheel and then $240 per tyre. if your paying the same for your wheels, then your only paying $150 per tyre. not bad i say.

i've gotta do some saving to get these wheels i want  ;D

Offline RichTRX

• post whore
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2003, 05:01PM »
not if I get them first :P :P j/k

meanwhile... wtf?
The width of any replacement rim must not be:
...less than the width of the narrowest rim specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model...
:cwm25:

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
    • Antrx
« Reply #46 on: Jun 2, 2003, 11:46AM »
Well, did the angle-grind on Saturday. It seems to have worked. Had 4 people in the car on sat nite and it only scratched once compared to the 24018234091283091283 times it used to scratch when I had 3+ people in there. Just need to grind a bit more off the back right hand side.

Offline brentrx

« Reply #47 on: Jun 2, 2003, 01:22PM »
u serious skin?
thats sick....u just saved a good few hundred bucks!
I gotta get u to come round and do it to mine... maybe before 2fast 2furious on sat?

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #48 on: Jun 3, 2003, 09:49AM »
Well, did the angle-grind on Saturday. It seems to have worked. Had 4 people in the car on sat nite and it only scratched once compared to the 24018234091283091283 times it used to scratch when I had 3+ people in there. Just need to grind a bit more off the back right hand side.

So much cheaper and easier hey?  ;D

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
    • Antrx
« Reply #49 on: Jun 4, 2003, 10:57AM »
hehe yup sss.

$2.95 to buy the grinder blade
$2.95 to buy the grinder smoother/blade
$10 for protective glasses

hehe, better than $100 per tyre.

Brentrx, will u be there on sat for rhino's fairwell? I will talk to u then

Offline brentrx

« Reply #50 on: Jun 4, 2003, 03:05PM »
yep evenflow i will, but u should come over earlier, and we could do it then maybe.....?