Author Topic: Urgent Help Needed Regarding Door  (Read 3038 times)

Offline volatile

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • new kid on the block
Urgent Help Needed Regarding Door
« on: Oct 17, 2004, 06:35PM »
Hey guys, the other day it rained and when i went in the car i noticed the front passenger carpet was a bit damp, i lifted it up and voila it was like a mini swiming pool in there, i ended up spending a day with a hairdryer getting the carpet back to normal. Ive since found out that the leak was coming from my doors, i took off the door trim where i found the previous owner must have ripped away the waterproofing plastic  ??? So i redid the plastic using a few layers of thick contact. Ive stopped the water from leaking into the car now, to be safe i lighty hosed the window to let water go down no water was entering in the car which was great but i noticed a bit of water was still going through the rubbers down into the door then out the drainage holes. Is this normal? im concerned about putting my new splits into the door especially if there going to get drenched. Ive tried replacing the door rubber on the outside but i cant seem to stop it, my next option is to buy a new door  >:( If anyones had any problems like this please let me know what you did im desparate Thx all 

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
Re: Urgent Help Needed Regarding Door
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2004, 08:06PM »
it sounds like there's water going down the window, past the outside rubber and into the door.

Try, with the door trim off and the window down, glueing some weather stripping underneath the rubber, but make sure that you get a seal with the window up. The water should then go to the outside of the door.

Or, seal your speakers in a bit of a plastic box, cut the bottom off an ice cream bucket if you're worried, and attach it to the inside of the door trim

Option 1

/  O                             existing rubber
    | OO                            new sealing
    |                                door continues on

Option 2

+-------| ice cream bucket glued to inside of door skin
                                |       /
wire through grommet +-- -o<       speaker
                                |        \
                                +--------|
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2004, 11:55PM »
theres a tutorial somewhere on the net on how to make "raincoats" for your speakers... i'll try and find it for you.

Offline volatile

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • new kid on the block
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2004, 05:18PM »
thanks guys ive stopped the majority of the water geting into the door now heres how i did it, i bend the actually door metal where the weather stripping sits on so now its on more of an angle, if anyone has the same problem feel free to pm me and ill give you a hand, i still get a little bit of water coming in when i hose the window, if you could find the raincoats for my speakers tut that would be awesome i was thinking of using a 25 cdr container lid and cutting it abit down to size etc.

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2004, 10:49AM »
i was thinking of using a 25 cdr container lid and cutting it abit down to size etc.

yeah but the problem with that is that it would probably be bad for sound quality and rattle heaps....

I havent had any luck finding the website yet