Author Topic: A good, quiet muffler?  (Read 2605 times)

rival81

A good, quiet muffler?
« on: Sep 6, 2004, 05:19PM »
Hi guys,

Well my car is almost finished being fixed at the smash repair place. My muffler has just developed a hole in it and it's even louder than normal.

I want to get a new muffler, and i want it to be a nice quiet one this time. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, would it cost much extra for extractors? If it's only an extra 200 or so i'd get those too. Not sure if i'd need to get bigger exhaust piping as well. I mean, if you get extractors, do you really need bigger exhaust piping to get the benefits from it?

I have so much to learn :) Thx for any advice.

Also if anyone knows of a place that has extractors for the TRX around North Brisbane that'd be great.
« Last Edit: Sep 6, 2004, 05:33PM by rival81 »

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: A good, quiet muffler?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 6, 2004, 05:52PM »
any exhaust shop will have extractors for a trx. they will cost around $320 fitted.

muffler wise, get something from the lukey range. the're cheap, flow reasonably well and you can get a flash tip attached if you like.

you dont need to get a larger exhaust to get the benefits from extractors, but the more you get done the more power you will get.

and i take it your not selling the car anymore if yo uare going to spend money on extractors?

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

rival81

« Reply #2 on: Sep 6, 2004, 05:59PM »
Not for the time being but probably in the next 4 months or so. I don't think i'll worry about the extractors at this point as i probably wouldn't get the cost back when i sell the car. Thanks for the advice, i'll ask for a lukey muffler and try to get a tip the same as my current one.

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #3 on: Sep 6, 2004, 06:35PM »
If your current tip isn't damaged the exhaust shop could just take it off and put it on the new muffler no worries....unless you currently have a cannon...or you are changing muffler outlet sizes.

Chad
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Sep 6, 2004, 10:53PM »
quiet usually means a baffled muffled.
baffled equals crappy flow.
hence crappy power.

rival81

« Reply #5 on: Sep 6, 2004, 11:40PM »
It might mean less power, but it also means less headaches on long trips :)  I don't think it will make much difference for me anyway as my current exhaust is still the stock 2 inch.

Offline Pringles

• antrx.com baked not fried
  • post whore
  • ;-) check me out !
« Reply #6 on: Sep 7, 2004, 01:32AM »
what i got is a cannon, which is nice and loud normerly, but i got one with a soilencer so long trip through in the silencer if its anoying, lol personally my silencer is gathering dust atm :D
Check out the Brown Couch !
the ole Nissan caught a cold... puachtuuu..!
i lost a testicle while shaving my scrotum
Jono wasn't here!

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
« Reply #7 on: Sep 7, 2004, 03:57AM »
I read an article today on autospeed.com (see if http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1788/article.html works for you) about fitting an R33 Skyline muffler and VL Commodore cat convertor to the Pintara.  They claim it flows 75% better and is only 2B louder than the stock system, for only about $200 including labour!
209rwkW stock ... yes, it's a U12!!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #8 on: Sep 7, 2004, 11:06AM »
so rival, what have you got on your car currently? a cannon or just the stock muffler? you've got problems if you're complaining about the volume of the stock muffler.

rival81

« Reply #9 on: Sep 7, 2004, 06:08PM »
I had a cannon. Went to jack beedhams exhaust at redcliffe today. They said the quietest muffler you can put on without getting a 'factory' muffler (i assume this means the stock muffler that originally came with the car, which would have to be sourced from wreckers) is a long cannon one. So they put another one of those on, telling me it'd be quieter. However, it looks and sounds exactly the same as the cannon muffler they took off, so i don't know what to do now. :(

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #10 on: Sep 7, 2004, 07:06PM »
go back to them and tell them that you wanted a quiet muffler and that you arent happy with the muffler that they have put on. a cannon will never be quiet, its not baffled. as sss said.. quiet = baffles.

if they dont sell lukey they will have other brands. my parents say beedhams are pretty good. dont go to toys muffler mart in redcliffe. they're pretty dodgy.

so yeh, go back, tell them that you asked for a quiet muffler, which they said they would do, and that they didnt deliver and you want your money back. dont take any shit from them.

try grahams exhaust (its a green shop) just a few doors down from jack beedhams on anzac avenue. my mum and dad have gotten exhaust work done by sr automotive in the past, but i'm guessing they just sent it back to somewhere like jack beedhams anyway.

either way go complain to them and tell them that they havent done what you asked and you at least want it changed over.
« Last Edit: Sep 7, 2004, 07:09PM by noss »

rival81

« Reply #11 on: Sep 7, 2004, 07:47PM »
Right, i guess i'll have to do that. I don't see why they would have put the exact same muffler on (at least it looks and sounds the same) when i told them i wanted a quieter one. They didn't show it to me before i paid either. Didn't even give me the chance to hear it. I guess i should have insisted on that before paying. Well thx anyway and wish me luck.

BTW while i was there i asked about their price for ka24e extractors. Their price is $265 for wildcat extractors fitted.
« Last Edit: Sep 7, 2004, 07:50PM by rival81 »

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #12 on: Sep 7, 2004, 07:54PM »
thats not a bad price.

rival81

« Reply #13 on: Sep 7, 2004, 08:52PM »
Yeh, i'm wishing i'd done some upgrades years ago when i first got the trx, there's no point now. But it's all good. :)  I'm thinking i might just keep the muffler they put on. It's not unbearably loud or anything, and it might be more attractive to potential buyers. Plus i wouldn't want a baffled muffler if it's going to lose me considerable power, like more than 3 - 4 %.
« Last Edit: Sep 7, 2004, 08:54PM by rival81 »