Author Topic: Need help on Firing Order and lead placement  (Read 2933 times)

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • Pinny Panthers
Need help on Firing Order and lead placement
« on: Apr 3, 2004, 05:53PM »
My car was jerry riged by the guy who sold it so that it would run smooth with a busted distrib cap a craped out rotor & a half dead battery, i won't go into details of what he did exactly cause im in a bit of a rush but needles to say i was fuming when i found out what he did to the car just to sell it as the parts needed were all rather cheap bar the battery and the rotor he Fuked all by him self so ya i was not a happy chappy. Ive got new parts for her and ive installed them however i think the distrib cap lead wiring is out as it runs quite ruff after the auto choak turns off (at the higher 1000-1200 auto choak RPM however it purs) so i need to know the firing order to check the way ive put the leads in :) If any of you have pictures of said info i would be in your debt although i think the firing order should be enough... still the more info i get the more i can write down.

Ive been meaning to get a manual for her but ive not had the time to order it yet and it'd take about a week to come in any who so i thought id ask :)

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • Pinny Panthers
Re: Need help on Firing Order and lead placement
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4, 2004, 06:41PM »
Well i had a good look at it today, i think i did get the leads right but because the old cap and rotor were so stuff i think one or two plugz were not getting any charge so of course they would have fouled with oil. I gave her a good run today and after a while she started running better :) 20 minutes later she's running really well so like i said i believe it's just a fouled plug. Ill have to clean em when i get the time but for now she's all happy so there's no imeadiate need.

Still like to know the firing order, ive got a few ideas but im not sure if there correct.

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 8, 2004, 10:06AM »
if it's the factory original bosch distributor cap, which lead is printed on to the top of the cap.

it's always 1-3-2-4, but it's also always inlet, exhaust, inlet, exhaust...

Diamond outlines for Inlet, circle for exhaust (on the cap)
Cylinder 1 is the one nearest the radiator, 4 nearest the firewall (but you knew that!!!)

If that doesn't help, photocopy the firing order out of the Gregory's Manual (242 i think, it's in my local library). It shows the distrbutor cap without leads. Helped me when George was running rough, so I thought one of the leads was on wrong.

If that doesn't help, i'll get the page for you and write it out (won't be till after easter)
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #3 on: Apr 8, 2004, 01:44PM »
Ya i got the book yesterday and checked every thing :) it was all fine but 2 of my leads wern't connected to the spark plugs fully so the spark was some times not reaching the plugs :) i thought id put it all back right :) She's running like a champ now.