Author Topic: Gear Stick Rattle  (Read 7779 times)

Offline Westy

• antrx.com junior member
  • '90 TRX
Gear Stick Rattle
« on: Feb 17, 2004, 11:11PM »
I don't know if this has been previously discussed to a point where a viable answer was available as a search yielded no answer.

But i have a problem where my gear stick moves to the left and won't spring back like it does when i move it to the right and feels like it's in neutral in every gear and when driving along a highway or freeway it rattles really badly and drives me insane.

From what i have so far been told, it could be either the gear fork selector or the gear stick shaft and linkages, but i'm not willing to spend a sh*tload of money removing the gearbox and having it reco'd till i have exhausted all other avenues.

So having said all that, does anyone have any ideas on what it might be and how to go about fixing this?
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2004, 11:05AM by Westy »

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
Re: Gear Stick Rattle
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2004, 11:28PM »
it may be the bushes at the base of the gear shifter... i think that richtrx and some other people have replaced these or some other bushes that have sorted out the problem... my shifter is fairly sloppy but not bad enough for me to worry about just yet...

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2004, 12:43AM »
there are 2 springs which return the selector to the centre when free... If one of the springs have come off, it'll explain the rattling and why it springs back on one side

My bro had the same prob... Bit of a bitch to get to though...
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2004, 12:26PM »
That's right. Go to nissan and buy two new gear selector bushes. They cost me $2.50 each from Grand Nissan.

Next, use a trolley jack to jack up the front of the car (using suitable chocks to stop the rear wheels from rolling back).
Now go under the car and undo the gear selector shaft from the yoke that connects to the gearbox. You'll need two 12mm (I think) sockets with two ratchets to prevent the bolt from turning when you're trying to undo it. Once the bolt is undone, remove it, and slide the selector shaft out of the yoke. Replace the bushes that are in the selector shaft with the new ones you've bought, then slide the shaft back in, replace the bolt and tighten. Make sure the bolt is tight, but not so tight that it crushes the new bushes. It is normal for the yoke to bend inwards as you tighten up the linkage. To prevent the nut from coming loose (with vibration, etc) it would also be wise to install a spring washer on each side of the bolt.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2004, 12:36AM »
thanks for that rich i didnt realise itd be so easy to replace the bushes... and i didnt realise they were that cheap.... ill replace mine next week ;D

one thing about your explanation on doin them,,, you forgot to say to put jack stands under your car after jacking it up :)

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2004, 10:13AM »
lol, that's because I don't have any jack stands ;) ::)
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2004, 02:03PM »
*searches for bazooka smiley*,, but its gone >:(.... :D

rival81

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2004, 11:31PM »
Had this problem when i first got my TRX....replacing the bushes fixed it. Do it yourself if you can as labour costs about 60 bucks otherwise.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2004, 10:29AM »
there is only 1 spring on the trx as well. its a pissweak one too.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2004, 05:44PM »
ive got the same problem
going to get my mates dad to take a look at it soon, by the sounds of things its a bush

Offline Westy

• antrx.com junior member
  • '90 TRX
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2004, 09:48AM »
Thanks guys for your help.

Getting it done today.
Hope this works, caus it's been like this ever since i got the car and is the only problem i havn't addressed.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2004, 12:33PM »
yeah the problem is that at the base of the shifter. the bushings at the gearbox end shout be a 2 way type thing with 2 cylindrical sections at right angles to each other. its very very rare that these will go.

if the stick rattles & is sloppy at the base of the selector there is a metal tube that runs thru the shifter that hooks up to the selector rod. there are two little bushings in each end of this. i cant think of what they're called but for lack of a better description they look like little top hats.

to get to these you have to remove your cat converter, then remove your cat heat shield and then undo the selector rod at the base of the shifter.

dont forget to check the spring is there too

Offline mrwiggly

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com full member
  • Yoplay wif me I ahh play wit you, Saucy thing you
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2004, 10:25PM »
Also on the spring in the Trx they had some foam in the middle of the spring which stops the spring rattling as well . Also you will find the crappy nissan bushes being plastic wear down quite quick. I have replaced mine twice now so now I use (Wait for it ) 1/2" garden hose with the outer green skin peeled off, its a close fit. Also there is a welded shaft closer to the gear box which on mine I had to grind off and replace with a bolt as there was no way to replace the bush. Hope this helps.  Take the time to get it all fitting tight as for some reason it makes shifting so much more fun when its all firm. As for getting to the bushes all I did was remove the heat shield (Best to wait till its cool)                     And no the garden hose was not from a bong !!!
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2004, 10:27PM by mrwiggly »

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2004, 11:56PM »
Sure it wasn't Mrwiggly... ;)
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2004, 02:23AM »
hey rich do you have a part number for the bushes? because i rang up nissan parts in town and asked for a price on 'gear selector bushes' and he said that they are 70cents each, so i dont know if there the same as what you have replaced? 

the way you explained it i need to replace the bushes in the control rod yoke connection part. but the other guys are saying that i need to take the cat off or just the heat shield and replace the bushes in that area.

make sense?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2004, 09:14AM »
get under your car, look at where the selector rod joins up to the box, you can see that easy, otherwise, wiggle it & see at which end the selector rod wiggles, that end will have the busted bushings. its only going to be one end or the other.

its not hard to do.. and its going to be much quicker than having 10 or 15 guys putting their 2 cents in over the internet.

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2004, 09:42AM »
yep thanks noss. im pretty sure its just the ones at the gearbox end of the control rod. the only thing that had me puzzled was the price rich payed for the bushes :)

Offline amirite

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 2015, 05:37PM »
there is only 1 spring on the trx as well. its a pissweak one too.

do you happen to know where this spring is supposed to be connected? Mine has fallen off completely.