Author Topic: issue with pulsar fans not kicking in  (Read 16463 times)

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
issue with pulsar fans not kicking in
« on: May 5, 2013, 07:58PM »
Having an issue with the fans in the n15 SSS.

Radiator fans will not kick over.

Coolant temp sensor, temp sender unit and thermostat are all brand new, relay is fine, the thermostat opens when the temp gauge is half way but fans will not kick in ? The fans work, but won't kick over when the car heats up.

Anyone have any ideas ?
« Last Edit: May 6, 2013, 09:55AM by noss »
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: Pulsy issue
« Reply #1 on: May 5, 2013, 08:05PM »
How hot is the car getting? Sr's run quite hot before the fans kick in.

Can you drive it? If you can I should be able to put the consult cable to see what's going on.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #2 on: May 5, 2013, 08:25PM »
How hot is the car getting? Sr's run quite hot before the fans kick in.

Can you drive it? If you can I should be able to put the consult cable to see what's going on.

I can leave it idle for like 15 minutes to the point that the car gets real hot standing still (probably due to the high comp) the gauge gets just over half, no fans, but than leave it longer and longer till the gauge says the car is boiling and still no fans.

The car is drivable, but I don't get my license back for another 2 weeks and its currently still unregistered!
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: May 6, 2013, 09:55AM »
high comp would have nothing to do with it if you aren't getting any fans on sitting at idle you're going to overheat even with standard compression.

i can't remember but do these cars have high and low speed fans? are the low speed fans kicking in but the high speeds are not? only asking this cause you say the fans wont kick in once the car heats up.. are they coming on when it's not heated up?

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
Re: issue with pulsar fans not kicking in
« Reply #4 on: May 6, 2013, 10:26AM »
Fans just aren't turning on what so ever. If I pull the relay out and link it with a piece of wire they work.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: May 6, 2013, 10:50AM »
are you sure the relay works then? if it works when you bridge the connection with a piece of wire, it is something that is switching it that is not working..

coolant temp sensor
relay
ecu settings

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline squizz taylor

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #6 on: May 6, 2013, 10:54AM »
Try a new relay first, i have had to replace brand new items as they have failed on first use.

Then it will be Time to get the multi meter out and do some wiring checks.

The ECU controls the fans, first you will need to check the wire from the temp sender to the ECU has good continuity, as well as the ECU to the fan relay has good continuity, ie. very low ohms with power removed. Also check the earths for these circuits.

You then need to find out if the ECU is telling the fans to come on. You should get 12v out of the ECU to engage the fan relay.

If you have good continuity on all the wires and you dont get the 12v signal from the ECu to the fan relay, the ECU is likely to be the cause of the fault.

As for pins on ECU or ralay to check, that you will have fugure out your self.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #7 on: May 6, 2013, 03:30PM »
Checked the wires coming from th relay and it wasn't earthing, so I spliced a new wire into that earth and bolted it to the chassis, than BAM fans come on.

Now new problem, the gauge will not drop below half way, resulting in the fans being on constantly and not turning off.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: May 7, 2013, 08:53AM »
Trace it back and find out how / where it is not earthing; that fan earth may not be the only thing it is earthing...meaning that you could have problems with other things relying on that same earth.

Offline squizz taylor

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #9 on: May 7, 2013, 08:57AM »
Time to get the multi meter out and do some wiring checks.

The ECU controls the fans, first you will need to check the wire from the temp sender to the ECU has good continuity, ie. very low ohms with power removed. Also check the earths for these circuits.

A typical default for safety is for the ECU to turn the fans on as soon as the temp sender fails. If it recives no signal or the wrong signal, the fans come on to prevent the enigine from being harmed.

You then need to find out if the ECU is telling the fans to come on. You should get 12v out of the ECU to engage the fan relay.

If you have good continuity on all the wires and you dont get the 12v signal from the ECu to the fan relay, the ECU is likely to be the cause of the fault.

As for pins on ECU or ralay to check, that you will have fugure out your self.