Author Topic: Front Suspension Bushes - Installation  (Read 3619 times)

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
Front Suspension Bushes - Installation
« on: Mar 12, 2013, 09:10PM »
Hi guys

Well I am full swing back into my project after some many months not doing anything. First on my list is checking the shocks and whilst I'm at it, replacing the bushes with nolathane ones. I got given a few with the car that didn't get a chance to be installed.

I just want to check something. The lower control arm (transverse link) is unbolted and I am trying to get it out. Sway bar has been lowered also. The front area of the transverse link swivels on the metal bush pin but stops once I get to the bolt thread. Seems hard to get off.

Do you guys have any tricks for getting this off or am I missing something obvious.

Appreciate the help.

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
Re: Front Suspension Bushes - Installation
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2013, 02:57PM »
Just in case anyone that was wondering I managed to get it off. Just needed a good rubber hammer and some pounding with a bit of swivel action.

Got both bushes off. Bit of a pain mind you.

For those guys that have installed bushes, if you burned them out there is a slight rubber residue. This doesn't affect the inside of the new bush at all just on the outside. Will this matter (I am talking maybe 0.5mm).

Lower arm front nolathane bushes not that expensive. Around $77 from Repco. Wonder how much a shop charges to replace both bushes (labour plus parts). Hope I'm saving money in the process cause its a pain of a job!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2013, 03:24PM »
It is.

Make sure you use a bottle jack to push the rear U bracket up flush with the body, make sure you align the bolt holes correctly otherwise you'll cause yourself all sorts of problems.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2013, 04:17PM »
I burned and pushed thm out with a pole and hammer. Got everything out, than used nolathane bushes.

I got every bush for my car free though :p brother supplies Autobarn. Saved me over $400.

But yes, front control arm bushes are a pric.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2013, 05:50PM »
Guys

Just installing new front LCA bush but it is too big. Be kind to me (first time doing this).

Is the pivot hole in the photo a metal sleeve that needs to be removed. I have already removed the metal pin??

It just seems the bush is just slightly too big. I have been trying with my vice press but it just squashes the side of one bush. The vice is pressing on centre.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2013, 06:49PM »
I'm pretty sure I cut that out with a hacksaw. Than just inserted the 2 piece nolathane bushesx
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline dozer

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2013, 06:50PM »
yes that sleeve needs to come out, a press is the way to go.
otherwise put a hacksaw blade though the middle and put a cut in it
to release the pressure then it will tap out with hammer and punch.
try to avoid marking the bore that the bush will end up against.
if ya mark it just rub it smooth with emery paper.

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2013, 10:14PM »
Thanks guys

Very hard not to dent or cut the metal lining even very small. Think I'll take the other LCA to the shop and just get them to press it out. Seen a few video's on DIY suspension tool removal. Could give that a shot then see how I go!

Appreciate the help.

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2013, 11:00AM »
OKAY

I got the sleeve off and what a drama but it is out. I think I will be able to handle the other arm better as I know how many cuts I need to make.

Need your guys opinion. Have a look at my pivot arm. I tried to be as clean as possible but it got some scrapes. Lines in the pivot are absolutely minimal but...................what do you guys think. Do I need new LCA arms?

**Note, it is only on that side. Other side has no marks (as I was hammering from that side only)***

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2013, 11:37AM »
I wouldnt be using it, it would damage the new bushes.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2013, 11:45AM »
I wouldnt be using it, it would damage the new bushes.

Damn! I'll have to wait until I can get a 2nd control arm from the wreckers.

Offline dozer

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2013, 05:01PM »
yeah that was a bit rough  :P bit of practice for ya.
better luck on the next one, one cut is usually enough.  :)

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2013, 05:53PM »
Have you got access to a die grinder / dremel?

Buy a flap wheel, 60-80 grit should do it, and use it inside the lca where you have nicked it. Should take off only enough material as not to damage the bush.

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2013, 08:18PM »
Have you got access to a die grinder / dremel?

Buy a flap wheel, 60-80 grit should do it, and use it inside the lca where you have nicked it. Should take off only enough material as not to damage the bush.

I don't have a die grinder unfortunately but I have sanded it with 180 sandpaper that has made it fairly smooth. I'll still get the LCA arm but until then I've put it back in the car.

Just took the other one off a few hours ago. Front LCA bush was stuck on the shaft on the car so had to use the torch. Took ages. Eventually seperated the pin and the rubber. Guess that is what happens to 20 year old cars that have done some mileage!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2013, 06:48AM »
Or use a half round file, you just want to remove the sharp bits and any high points left. Unless you can't, don't botherbuying another lca.

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2013, 04:47PM »
The passenger side LCA was stuck by the front bush so I had to burn it enough to wiggle it off. As I had burned it I thought I'd try my luck and go for a second round in getting the metal sleeve off.

This proved even harder then the last one with many cuts and chiseling but it just wouldn't budge. Thought time is the key and found a place selling 2 LCA's (keeping a spare for the drivers side in case mine are too stuffed) and then got the bushes machined out.

They still marked the bore but not by much and not sharp. Cost $50 to get both front bushes pushed out. LESSON LEARNED!!!

Offline dozer

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2013, 05:00PM »
also a lesson to others as to why sometimes it cost's so much to get repairs done at workshops,
cause nothings simple and always turns pear shaped and these things take time.  ;D

glad ya got it sorted in the end........ 8)

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2013, 05:40PM »
ha! that's an understatement and a half!

you wouldn't believe what I had to do to the rear front LCA D bushes to get them to fit when I changed mine on the trx, it involved my mill and a die grinder to say the least. So much for "straight" fit!