Author Topic: matching brake rotors and pads?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
matching brake rotors and pads?
« on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:57AM »
just wondering what thoughts are on this.. i've been reading a bit lately about certain brake pads not working well with certain rotors, but then the same pads performing exceptionally with another brand of rotor. is there any truth behind this or is this just people caught up in marketing hype?

i.e. one dicussion i have seen is that dba rotors and hawk hps pads have lower performance than stoptech rotors and the same pads. another common discussion that i see is that ebc brake pads are shit in general, particularly the green stuff pads, yet if they're matched with dba rotors they're quite good.

for what its worth, i've just bought rda gold dimpled and slotted rotors with bendix ultimate pads for the mini.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
Re: matching brake rotors and pads?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2012, 12:40PM »
I think the bendex are a over priced/overrated, but easy to get. I like the the qfm performance pads with the dba slotted & drilled. I just bought a set of Korean ceramic pads for the rear with rda dimpled & slotted. I am keen to see how these go as they are well priced for ceramic pads.
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2012, 01:13PM »
I don't see how, I mean if you have the Same rotors and calipers, with say bendex pads, than the same set up using ebc pads, both setups will have the save hydraulic pressure at the friction point as eachother. Perhaps it comes down to the material contact between pads and rotors causing more or less friction ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2012, 03:18PM »
well yes i would imagine that it is entirely to do with the material used in the pad and the makeup of the brake rotor. i.e. ceramic vs compressed camel turds. i guess my question more so is, with 80% regular street driving and the rest spirited driving or track, is there a noticeable difference? the answer invariably will be no, however some reports i'm seeing is that mismatched pads/rotors can be so bad its worse than oem. probably just sensationalised internet crap, which is why i'm asking is there any truth behind it.

as for price pedro, its $135 for bendix ultimates, $115 for the regular bendix and pads like ebc green stuff were $350, hawk hps are $210 with delivery, brembo sport $205, regular brembo $70

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2012, 05:58PM »
as for price pedro, its $135 for bendix ultimates, $115 for the regular bendix and pads like ebc green stuff were $350, hawk hps are $210 with delivery, brembo sport $205, regular brembo $70

i was thinking more the regulars, but then again , you just do as you did and get ultimates.. the qfm performance where about $150-180 i think, suposed to be between green & red stuff. i got them around the time of doing my conversion.
 ceramic is suposed to give better pedal feel ,less dust, less heat. mine arrived today for the rears..
funny enough on the box rear u12/corsairs are campatable to hyndai, elantra/avante 90-03coupe /tiburion/ tuscun03-
kia, cerato
nissan, maxima/cefireo88-94/skyline86-90
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2012, 09:13PM by noss »

skype_shannan801

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2012, 09:17PM »
oh also, something of note. ebc red are no longer the race pad, ebc yellow are. ebc red is ceramic for high performance street.

i'm not trying to justify my purchase, but i am sort of wondering if pad x will go well with rotor y

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2012, 09:29PM »
sometimes, there are too many choices... i was also looking at intima sr series..
i fugure i will them them next.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2012, 09:31PM by pedro666 »

skype_shannan801

Offline Douce

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:32PM »
Bendix Ultimate Pads Review – Australia

http://www.bendix.com.au/catalogue
They preach… Put your foot down with confidence…

I see a lot of favorable reviews

Seems that the Bendix Ultimate Pads are well established and proven…

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2012, 06:51AM »
TBH mate, I think it's a load of shit, what matters is how the pads / rotors are bedded in from new.

People can't make the call of X rotors working crap with Y pads, but awesome with Z pads based on seat of the pants / feeling.

It would take a lot of unnecessary test and evaluation of various rotors / pads in controlled conditions to evaluate this as true or false....waste of time IMHO.

Just make sure that with your new rotors that you clean the rotor surface so very thoroughly (with a white rag and acetone / thinners preferably) to make sure that all the protective oil for packaging is gone, as it can slow down and hinder the pads bedding in.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2012, 07:33AM »
As an aside, how well a rotor and a pad creates surface friction is very much dependant on the surface finish of the rotor and the composition of the pad.

Whilst it may not be evident by wiping your finger over the rotor's surface, the surface of the rotor at a microscopic level will look something like this (right hand side):

and have a measurable surface "roughness".

If the rotor material does not have sufficient hardness, this roughness can wear down and effectively polish this surface, or worse, become smoothed over with brake pad depositions, otherwise known as "glazing".

So it's a two-fold thing....the pad needs not to be "gummy" as to deposit excess material on the rotor, and the rotor needs to be sufficiently dimensionally stable and possess adequate "hardness" to resist polishing.

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #10 on: Dec 6, 2012, 05:43PM »
I found out today that bendex is owned by Honeywell.

skype_shannan801