Author Topic: water to air intercooler  (Read 4274 times)

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
water to air intercooler
« on: Jul 2, 2012, 06:15PM »
water to air intercooler, i i have been on the constant search for response from my car, and at the ADGP in melbourne i met up with the guys from bullet superchargers who were looking after Rob Whytes supercharged 800hp 350z which runs this little water to air system and the positive pressure pipe is very short less than a meter, and it works very well indeed, so i was going go this way, does anyone here have one used one im sure adam has more than 1 opinion on them, so lets discuss, i declare this symposium on water to air intercoolers open, all postulations and hypothesis will be considered. kgo   

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: water to air intercooler
« Reply #1 on: Jul 2, 2012, 06:30PM »
Didn't NZ Jason run one on this HNU12 before switching to a front mount?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jul 2, 2012, 09:27PM »
Mate, for sprints, they are your best friend.

Just make sure you get as big a core as you can fit in the engine bay, and have a separate reservoir that you can dump dry ice / ice in before you do a run to get the water temps as cold as possible.

If i ever get around to sticking a turbo on the grey trx, i'll be using a W2A cooler.

Offline awd2.0t

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #3 on: Jul 3, 2012, 10:08AM »
My understanding W2A are great for short runs - drag's and the like but will suffer from heat soak, where as the fmic will be better for your 12 hours that you do.  So are you aiming for the sprints or the 12 hours?

Slightly off topic - In regards to response, one of the gtiroz guys fitted a td06.20g - http://www.gtpumps.c...ust_turbos.html

Cut & Paste from one of the guys blogs:
It's basically an EVO8 TD06SL2-20G -  1.2 bar actuator and should make 20psi by 3700-4000rpm
Below is a comparison of two turbos, they have noted that at .64 housing would be better, but still not up to the twin scroll.

RPM - gt2871r.86- td06.20g
3500 - 75kw - 110kw
4000 - 110kw - 150kw
4500 - 155kw - 190kw
5000 - 210kw - 215kw
5500 - 240kw - 230kw
6000 - 240kw - 230kw
6500 - 240kw - 230kw

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #4 on: Jul 3, 2012, 01:06PM »
well i use it for short runs on the hillclimb or 3-5 lap sprints, more investigation is required. i need to speak to racin jason.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: Jul 3, 2012, 03:23PM »
there is a lot of information about water to air intercoolers on supercharged mini coopers. i'll see if i can dig up some info. it is something i'm looking at doing, but i'm in 2 minds about it as its not for racing, its just for road use and the increased heat soak might be a concern when stuck in traffic.

brb with data.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #6 on: Jul 3, 2012, 03:46PM »
i can't find the temp data that i used to have. all i can find is this somewhat shitty review on a website

n regards to the IC, I hafta say I have been surprised with the overall performance. Seat of the pants indicates it is a drastic improvement over the stock IC. Especially after it has been severely heatsoaked (long stop light or after sitting for an hour during lunch).

However, what I have found most fascinating is the temp data I've been collecting with the optional temp monitor I installed in the IC.

I'm going to assume the monitor is reasonably accurate to absolute temperature (+/- 1 to 2 degrees?). The Out temp seems to stabilize around 15 degrees above ambient, which around here lately has been 110 degrees (placing the Out temp at 125). I was actually hoping for the Out temp to be closer to ambient with all of the thermal reflective film I placed on the IC, but maybe this is all I could really hope for considering the hot outside air in conjunction with the hot internal air (it will be interesting to see what happens when it is cooler in 6 months). The In/Out delta is typically around 35 degrees while I'm just cruising. What has really amazed me though is what happens when I'm really on it. The In temp just skyrockets almost immediately due to the SC on high rpm. I've seen In temperatures well over 200 degrees during one of these hard charges, yet the Out temp stays glued around 128. This is giving me over 75 degrees of In/Out delta during this time!! Wow. I never really realized how hot the compressed air got during one of these high rpm events, and I've been amazed at how well the new IC worked under those conditions.

Another fascinating observation has occurred when I've let the car sit for about an hour during lunch. On initial check after I hop back into the car, both In/Out temps are around 160 degrees. In about 30-45 secs after startup while still at idle in the parking lot, the Out temp is almost back to 125. Very impressive. This would never happen with the stock IC. Once the stock IC was fully heatsoaked, it never really recovered during these hot summer months. So needless to say, I'm VERY pleased with your IC.

« Last Edit: Jul 3, 2012, 03:57PM by noss »

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #7 on: Jul 3, 2012, 05:36PM »
ok the noss man has come good with the info.

Offline dozer

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 9, 2013, 02:00PM »
just seen this, i don't have a lot of fabrication stuff at my disposal so the water side of things was a nightmare and i could never be sure the water was doing it's thing. it may have been why my engine needed a rebuild a while back due to too much heat still in the intake temps.

system was overcomplicated and heavy although simple in theory.
i just like the simple air to air for less weight and crap in engine bay,
simple is way better for a track car. you would be better just having
a manual switch on radiator/intercooler fans between sprints.
i even recall holding a blower to a mates oil cooler once just in
effort to get a tiny bit more out of it in a final shoot out (very supercar/f1 that is!!).

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2013, 12:33PM »
I certainly don't think changing from your current setup to this will make your engine worlds apart improvement with response. Is it possible to rearrange your intake to reverse the piping to be as short as possible? I know some Honda K series guys switch the TB sides to effectively reduce the overall pipework.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:46AM »
yeah i have decided to stay with my evo set up it is the shortest way to the engine.