Author Topic: U12 Chip solder - reluctant electric shops  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Nissan-Burster

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
U12 Chip solder - reluctant electric shops
« on: Mar 10, 2015, 09:24AM »
Hi there, as my prior post. I have a chip form noss that needs to be soldered in.

I live in Ballarat victoria, Ive gone to the nearest electrical store repair that has good solid reviews, but upon arriving my good feelings went down, they bought out one of the workers and I had a talk.

Noss told me exactly what had to be done, 3 layer circuit board, be careful, water proofing lacquer. Old chip pocked out and likely destroyed new chip soldered in.

He looked grumpy as hell, as stated board might be destroyed yada yada covering his ass walks of after telling me he has soldered smaller chips not ones this big.

Soooo... I need my car on the road asap, with as little down time as possible due to having a motorcycle crash and a dead leg.

What are the chances a good long standing elec shop would screw up and destroy the board?

Should I take it back and find someone else? If so.. Does anyone know of a good repairer in Ballarat?

Thanks for abyones time to answer, also I can go to Melbourne or in between if need be but would prefer not to.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: U12 Chip solder - reluctant electric shops
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2015, 10:01AM »
Hey mate, if he's done smaller chips before he should have no problem with this one if he's competent. I think I forgot to send you a socket, so ask him if he has any sockets in stock that he could install - that way you can change back later.

Pretty much everyone that I have seen do the solder job have actually cut the chip out of the board. Basically got some little snips, snipped off the legs then they heated/soldered the legs to get them out of the board and then once all the legs were out they wiggled the chip off of the board (due to the lacquer being like glue)

If they destroy your chip to remove it, I'll happily write you a stock chip in case you want to swap back for some reason.

Honestly these guys should be happy getting easy enough work that they can sting you $50-100 for, although at the end of the day they're probably just trying to sell you the worst possible scenario in case they fuck it up and you don't have a car to drive home in.

I know you probably don't want to fork out more money, but another option would be that U12 ECUs would be cheap as chips now, so you could always grab one from a wrecker and the guy can solder that one.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Nissan-Burster

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Re: U12 Chip solder - reluctant electric shops
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2015, 10:53AM »
Whew! Thanks Noss! I sent a message to your PM with a little more about What I should look for if anything is going wrong or if the rev limiter was removed!

As always you are spot on! Thanks very much for all your help it is very much appreciated. I have been scouring the forums reading up on peoples experinces with a stage 3 and I dying to feel the new torque pull!
Yes I will very much take your offer on the stock flash if need be I will let you know! Thank you!

I feel a lot more relieved now that I read through the forum and seems it looks simple enough.