Author Topic: Varex  (Read 5637 times)

Offline MattJohn

• antrx.com senior member
Varex
« on: Sep 14, 2011, 11:15PM »
There is one or two topics mentioning the Varex muffler, but they're a few years old and i have a few questions;

1. I read somewhere that straight through mufflers sound doggy with extractors fitted to the engine. Does anyone know about this, agree or disagree?

2. With the 3" muffler, would I be losing any power from backpressure problems?
(the engines a CA20 so it has less power than the TRX 2.4L as well) Lots of people have lots of different (we'll call them theories) to backpressure, and what the go is, with it.

Lastly, the extractors I have at the moment (unfitted) are 4>2>1, the exhaust pipe end in a what I'm assuming is a 2" diameter. Will this be a problem if I'm planning a 2.25" Extrac-Muffler system?

Offline Cheezel

Re: Varex
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2011, 11:26PM »
1. No idea. The idea of straight through mufflers isn't about sound, it's about reducing backpressure. So that one's up to you.

2. This was posted up ages ago. http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0877/article.html - go figure I found it earlier today. :D

There's been lots of research done on this, not just theories. I think the concensus on this forum (now, atleast) is that you should just remove the restrictions. However, if you're not bothering with upgrading your engine, I wouldn't bother with a 3" exhaust. To me it'd be the equivalent of having GReddy/HKS stickers plastered all over a bog-standard Hyundai, but that's just personal preference again. Not to say that you couldn't get some neat gains from a 2.25". Plus I think most exhaust places will charge a bit more for a 3" exhaust, despite the tiny cost price difference.

I'm running 4-2-1 2" extractors to a 2" flex, through to a 2.25" catback and I didn't have any problems other than I didn't tighten it enough and got a bit of an exhaust leak at one of the flanges. ;)

Offline MattJohn

« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2011, 11:45PM »
thanks for the quick reply  :D
The links got heaps on it, probably go through it tomorrow when im more awake but cheers  ;D

I agree with your hyundai/sticker comment hahaha, (for a 3") but i'm just wanting a 2.25" system with a 3"varex muffler so i can change the note incase the exhaust noise gets annoying or music..

I'm running 4-2-1 2" extractors to a 2" flex, through to a 2.25" catback and I didn't have any problems other than I didn't tighten it enough and got a bit of an exhaust leak at one of the flanges. ;)

Alright sounds good :) thanks cheezel

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2011, 10:15AM »
Non turbo cars you do need some back pressure in the system, turbo cars however the less back pressure the better.

I have a 3" exhaust on my TRX which is powered by an sr20det and its not too noisy, I had a 2.5" exhaust when it was the ka24e and it was loud, 3" on a ka or ca would be crazy loud and not worth the gain if you'll get any from that size exhaust.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2011, 12:02PM »
Non turbo cars you do need some back pressure in the system

That is bullshit. You need effective scavenging, not backpressure.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2011, 12:56PM »
Sorry i shouldnt have called it back pressure, however that is the common term.

If the exhaust is too large then you wont achieve effective scavenging.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2011, 11:47PM »
i had a 2.5" dynamax muffler,same as varex, but works on pressure of the exhaust to open valve. I have noticed that the varex had all its electronics to control its valve on top of the muffler which gets hot. This being the case i doubt it would last for long.  The dynamax was great except for the rattle, they have supposed to have fixed that now however. i now have pretty much straight through 2.5 all the way and its good. i get the same stealth effect by sliding it into auto.
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline MattJohn

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2011, 07:29PM »
I have noticed that the varex had all its electronics to control its valve on top of the muffler which gets hot. This being the case i doubt it would last for long.

Thats actually a really good point which i didn't even consider. How to you find the 2.5" in way of performance as well, will it give any serious benefit over the 2.25?

You need effective scavenging, not backpressure.
umm.. shoulda posted this in the noob section lol, what do you mean effective scavenging? is it just the proper term instead of backpressure?

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2011, 06:39PM »
i have always had a 2.5, but untill a year or so ago it was cat back. now i have heat treated(ceramic) headers and hi flow cat.
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline sxtacy

« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2011, 06:52PM »
Had a 2.5inch system on my ka24e with extractors and high flow cat. Was quite loud. loud enough to worry that the cops were going to defect you.
Although the performance was not bad, I think it was at the upper limit of the exhaust size though. You needed a few revs for it to pick up.

I reckon a 2.25 inch system would suit well.

(I wish I had a Varex muffler, would have been good around town)
nothing.

Offline MattJohn

« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2011, 07:26PM »
true, well 2.25" pretty much settles it then ahaha.
Yeah, I'm looking at them along with the dynomax since Pedro666 mentioned them.. if they're going to do the same sorta thing it'll probably come down to price.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2011, 12:28PM »
Had a 2.5inch system on my ka24e with extractors and high flow cat. Was quite loud. loud enough to worry that the cops were going to defect you.
Although the performance was not bad, I think it was at the upper limit of the exhaust size though. You needed a few revs for it to pick up.

I reckon a 2.25 inch system would suit well.

I tend to disagree, I have extractors and 2.5" system from flex straight through with cat and 2.5" hooker aero chamber muffler and dump pipe. I find it more than easy to launch on 1500rpm.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline sxtacy

« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2011, 01:27PM »
I tend to disagree, I have extractors and 2.5" system from flex straight through with cat and 2.5" hooker aero chamber muffler and dump pipe. I find it more than easy to launch on 1500rpm.

Not disagreeing with you, I just noticed I got a heap more power up higher in the rev range than stock, but in my car around idle to 1500 seemed a little sluggish.
nothing.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2011, 12:54PM »
Not disagreeing with you, I just noticed I got a heap more power up higher in the rev range than stock, but in my car around idle to 1500 seemed a little sluggish.

A ka with high end power ? How does that work ? lol
But yeah, mines all down low torque :/ launches on 1500rpm even with the 2.5" exhaust and meter long 3" cai...

But back on the topic of mufflers, I'd go hooker :) high flow with a mean grunt and fairly cheap compared to other mufflers..
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES